Opinion Whateley - pushing shortened quarters?

Quarter length?

• 16 minutes

Votes: 20 5.1%
  • 20 minutes

Votes: 372 94.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

But they haven't reduced the playing time to 7 innings. NBA had reduced some timeouts to decrease their game length

None of them are actually trying to reduce playing time

Actually they have! Doubleheaders comprise a not insubstantial proportion of the MLB schedule. Both games in a doubleheader are now played to 7 innings.

Chis Scott, shut yo big ******* mouth and harden up.

Fancy the coach of the most ancient team (in footy terms) wanting shorter game times!

Has anyone heard noise from the most important stakeholders (the fans who ultimately pay every player, coach and those at the AFL) about the game being too long?

Heck, in the 1980’s they used to double up with a mid week night competition in the VFL.

How about these teams who employ multitudes of sports scientists just train their players and manage loads appropriately.

I'm actually gonna go against the flow & say shorten the quarters. My reasoning being the average winning margin last year was 26.22 points. The lowest it's been in over 50 years. Hence, shorter games = closer games. Less blowouts. I'd say 18 mins or 17 1/2 like they play for pre-season is ideal.

I “loved” all those close games where it was three goals to one at half time last year.

Scoring opens up as players get tired and can’t play team defensive structures anymore. It happens mostly towards the end of quarters and the second half of games.

Very few would go to a game and think “That was great, I loved watching my team structure up behind the ball and seeing the opposition reel off seven uncontested chip kicks moving sideways!”.

Yes, the shorter the game the closer the margins are likely to be, that’s only logical. But the ‘watchability’ of the game would suffer as it did in 2020.

If we go to shorter games, all the players should be forced to do a hard hour on an exercise bike before the game starts so they are already partially fatigued.

I “loved” all those close games where it was three goals to one at half time last year.

Scoring opens up as players get tired and can’t play team defensive structures anymore. It happens mostly towards the end of quarters and the second half of games.

Very few would go to a game and think “That was great, I loved watching my team structure up behind the ball and seeing the opposition reel off seven uncontested chip kicks moving sideways!”.

Yes, the shorter the game the closer the margins are likely to be, that’s only logical. But the ‘watchability’ of the game would suffer as it did in 2020.

If we go to shorter games, all the players should be forced to do a hard hour on an exercise bike before the game starts so they are already partially fatigued.
What's happening with NRL this season is blowouts galore. I'd much rather watch a low scoring thriller than high scoring blowout any day.

I'm actually gonna go against the flow & say shorten the quarters. My reasoning being the average winning margin last year was 26.22 points. The lowest it's been in over 50 years. Hence, shorter games = closer games. Less blowouts. I'd say 18 mins or 17 1/2 like they play for pre-season is ideal.
They might’ve been slightly closer but teams struggled to peg back leads because the leading team could just park the bus.

Seems like the he afl has absolutely zero interest in what the fans think.
Constant tinkering with the game when most of us want it left alone.

And when you have mouth pieces like wankley towing the line, they are able to use their positions to ease the fans into the reality of the incoming changes.

If we ever get to a point where this COVID bs is actually over I’ll be interested to see what crowd numbers are like, I wouldn’t be surprised if they have a big drop

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back