AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Remember this?

West Coast denies hiding young gun

By MICHAEL PLACE
26oct03

THE West Coast Eagles have denied claims that they orchestrated a pre-draft cover-up of early-round draft prospect Callum Burges.

The 17-year-old has drawn interest from several AFL clubs despite mysteriously sitting out much of the recent AFL draft camp and playing in only one colts match for West Perth.

An interstate recruiting officer fanned speculation of an Eagles ruse when he accused the club of shielding Burges from rival suitors.

"Callum claimed he had a back injury and osteitis pubis and missed most of the draft camp," the scout said.

"Who knows? The feeling was that the Eagles were keen to keep him under wraps."

Eagles recruiting manager Trevor Woodhouse denied the claim, saying Burges had been in the school system for three years.

"We encourage all the young players to do everything they can to enhance their prospects of being drafted," Woodhouse said.

The Eagles are not the only club keen on Burges.

Fremantle also expressed interest during a meeting with the on-baller on Thursday.

Burges, who doesn't turn 18 until May next year, shone this season for Hale School in the Public Schools Association competition.

His one appearance for the Falcons was enough to satisfy AFL rules regarding draft eligibility.

Hale School football coach Sean Henderson said Burges was a ready-made AFL player.

"He is very good on both sides of his body, he's strong in the air, quick and is a good size," Henderson said.

"He played mainly in the midfield but can also play in the forward line."

Henderson said he doubted Burges was at the centre of an Eagles plot to hide him from rival clubs.

"I'm not sure about that," he said. "He's had a couple of injury issues with his back and he played just one match with West Perth this year because of his commitments with us."

Dockers recruiting manager Phil Smart confirmed that the club had spoken to Burges.

"He's a talented boy and if he's not drafted he'll be eligible to play for West Perth next year," he said.

Smart also played down talk of a cover-up by the Eagles.

He said the Dockers had spoken to 11 youngsters during the past two days as they finalise their shopping list for the November 22 draft.

Collingwood is among four Victorian clubs who have also reportedly shown interest in Burgess.

I was just looking at the team sheets for West Perth and noticed that his name wasn't to be found anywhere. Has he chucked it in or is he injured? Anyone know

He was just a smokescreen all along, WCS. We were never all that enthusiastic on him...our devious plan all along was to name him as our prize second pick, all the while hiding our plan to take Sam Butler...there must be something good about the kid.

He's still only young, and will have another year in the West Perth colts to grow (or rot) before he gets selected at this years draft. The reason you couldn't find his stats is because he only played in one match for the West Perth colts last year, in order to gain his draft eligibility. He played the rest of it for his school, Hale School in the Private Schools Association football league.

its curious why the other clubs didnt consider him tho. if there were 5 clubs interested you would think one would take a punt. maybe it got to pick 30 and he was still available so it freaked the clubs out....thinking that he wasnt wat they thought.

will be interesting to see this year wat happens. it must have nearly destroyed the kid.

One WA player in the last two years (and a father-son pick, at that) isn't exactly propping up the local comp, you know.

The Burges story was built on stuff all and proved to be just that.

Butler looked okay on Saturday, got a few touches.

Originally posted by carneagles
One WA player in the last two years (and a father-son pick, at that) isn't exactly propping up the local comp, you know.

The Burges story was built on stuff all and proved to be just that.

Butler looked okay on Saturday, got a few touches.

Rodger Hayden?
Aaron Sandilands?
Micheal Johnson?
Daniel Gilmore?
Luke Webster?

More than one Carnie. Butler did get a few touches but He has obviously training with Steggles as he wanted all the goal kicking glory himself despite having teammates in a far better position.

I would much rather we drafted more than two as is probably well documented on here if you wanted to do a search.

I can't understand how they do it (both teams) as in our case it is the later drafted & rookied locals that seem to be more ready. Judd excepted of course but he is a bit of a one off.

You blokes really fell in the dunny and came out with a gold watch with him. How much worse would you have been now if the Hawks and Saints hadn't have stuffed up?

Actually, we could have used Polak last year, so arguably we could have been in a better position.

All drafting is a dunny dive, of sorts. The t*rd:gold watch ratio just slides out as the cattle get older, is all.

(T*rd is a filtered word!?)

Originally posted by Pheret
The reason you couldn't find his stats is because he only played in one match for the West Perth colts last year, in order to gain his draft eligibility. He played the rest of it for his school, Hale School in the Private Schools Association football league.

I was talking about him being named in any of the squads at West Perth this year. As far as I can see his name isn't mentioned anywhere for West Perth this year, hence my query

Originally posted by carneagles
Actually, we could have used Polak last year, so arguably we could have been in a better position.

All drafting is a dunny dive, of sorts. The t*rd:gold watch ratio just slides out as the cattle get older, is all.

(T*rd is a filtered word!?)

True. Although Polly in a E-Girls Jumper just would not look right. ;)

**** filtered eh? Bit of overkill.

Originally posted by RIPPER_46
I would much rather we drafted more than two as is probably well documented on here if you wanted to do a search.

I can't understand how they do it (both teams) as in our case it is the later drafted & rookied locals that seem to be more ready. Judd excepted of course but he is a bit of a one off.

You blokes really fell in the dunny and came out with a gold watch with him. How much worse would you have been now if the Hawks and Saints hadn't have stuffed up?

Both clubs do it because it's a national comp now, so if you want the best talent available (which is now nation wide.) - why limit yourself to just one state when no other teams in the league do?

Fell in the dunny and came out with a gold watch?

I'm assuming this is your trolling side taking over your good poster side but I'd say we would probably have Graham Polak - who I assume you rate as highly if not higher than Judd.

It's a national comp Ripper. Sure you can hold onto the misconception that Freo are the good old boys helping WA footy while the Eagles are the evil traitor importing talent from over east but the fact of the matter is both teams will take what they think is the best available player no matter where they are from. Father/Son, Pre-season and Rookie List can be different, perhaps that's more of taking a punt on a player because you can get them easily/cheaply. It's the way of the future now - the draft is truly a national draft, zoning is finished (let it go.) and it's first in,best dressed for the best talent in the country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Black JuJu
Both clubs do it because it's a national comp now, so if you want the best talent available (which is now nation wide.) - why limit yourself to just one state when no other teams in the league do?
I can see it is necessary if you want to fill a specific need
Fell in the dunny and came out with a gold watch?

I'm assuming this is your trolling side taking over your good poster side but I'd say we would probably have Graham Polak - who I assume you rate as highly if not higher than Judd.
Don't be so sensitive. It is well documented that IMO and many others that you bloke scooped the pool of the top 3 picks. It didn't occur to me that you may have drafted Polly. :eek: :eek:

It's a national comp Ripper. Sure you can hold onto the misconception that Freo are the good old boys helping WA footy while the Eagles are the evil traitor importing talent from over east but the fact of the matter is both teams will take what they think is the best available player no matter where they are from. Father/Son, Pre-season and Rookie List can be different, perhaps that's more of taking a punt on a player because you can get them easily/cheaply. It's the way of the future now - the draft is truly a national draft, zoning is finished (let it go.) and it's first in,best dressed for the best talent in the country.

Your right but it still doesn't mean I have to like it or agree with it. What next, will we have Cricket nations Drafting the best available talent as it is a worldwide game?

I can just see it now,

No 1 Pick : Bangledesh , Brett Lee , NSW. O.K. bad example but you get the picture.

Originally posted by RIPPER_46

Your right but it still doesn't mean I have to like it or agree with it. What next, will we have Cricket nations Drafting the best available talent as it is a worldwide game?

I can just see it now,

No 1 Pick : Bangledesh , Brett Lee , NSW. O.K. bad example but you get the picture.

Or is the AFL just catching up to the rest of the sporting leagues in the world ?

I mean, is there any loyalty based on home state in major international leagues like the NBA or the NFL when it comes to drafting young players ?

I don't know for cetain, can anyone help me out with that?

As far as I can make out it is only the NBA and Baselball League in the US that use it.

Funnily enough a mate of mine has been here from Mildura for the WE and he was saying that he used to play footy (he was pretty good) in his local league in Vic but lost interest completely when the local teams started importing players and edging out the locals.

Originally posted by West Coast Stre
Remember this?

West Coast denies hiding young gun

By MICHAEL PLACE
26oct03

THE West Coast Eagles have denied claims that they orchestrated a pre-draft cover-up of early-round draft prospect Callum Burges.

The 17-year-old has drawn interest from several AFL clubs despite mysteriously sitting out much of the recent AFL draft camp and playing in only one colts match for West Perth.

An interstate recruiting officer fanned speculation of an Eagles ruse when he accused the club of shielding Burges from rival suitors.

"Callum claimed he had a back injury and osteitis pubis and missed most of the draft camp," the scout said.

"Who knows? The feeling was that the Eagles were keen to keep him under wraps."

Eagles recruiting manager Trevor Woodhouse denied the claim, saying Burges had been in the school system for three years.

"We encourage all the young players to do everything they can to enhance their prospects of being drafted," Woodhouse said.

The Eagles are not the only club keen on Burges.

Fremantle also expressed interest during a meeting with the on-baller on Thursday.

Burges, who doesn't turn 18 until May next year, shone this season for Hale School in the Public Schools Association competition.

His one appearance for the Falcons was enough to satisfy AFL rules regarding draft eligibility.

Hale School football coach Sean Henderson said Burges was a ready-made AFL player.

"He is very good on both sides of his body, he's strong in the air, quick and is a good size," Henderson said.

"He played mainly in the midfield but can also play in the forward line."

Henderson said he doubted Burges was at the centre of an Eagles plot to hide him from rival clubs.

"I'm not sure about that," he said. "He's had a couple of injury issues with his back and he played just one match with West Perth this year because of his commitments with us."

Dockers recruiting manager Phil Smart confirmed that the club had spoken to Burges.

"He's a talented boy and if he's not drafted he'll be eligible to play for West Perth next year," he said.

Smart also played down talk of a cover-up by the Eagles.

He said the Dockers had spoken to 11 youngsters during the past two days as they finalise their shopping list for the November 22 draft.

Collingwood is among four Victorian clubs who have also reportedly shown interest in Burgess.

I was just looking at the team sheets for West Perth and noticed that his name wasn't to be found anywhere. Has he chucked it in or is he injured? Anyone know

Typical ill-informed trash by the slimes, based on innuendo and rumour. Everyone in football circles, and at The West Australian, knew it was a smoke screen.

I think the Burges thing may have been a bit of a screen to try and get a team into picking him up early thus freeing up someone else later in the draft.........

i dunno, but the whole thing seems strange.

How this partially evolved into a 2001 Draft recap, I don't know, but did anybody else forget (especially Docker fan posters) that the Eagles also picked two WA based players in that draft, one a top 6 pick by the name of Mr. Ashley Sampi and the other Mark Seaby? Docker fans have to just get over the fact they could have had Judd, they passed on him though in preference of Trent Croad...that really worked out well for all involved, didn't it? In essence all it worked out to be was a Luke Hodge for Ryley Dunn trade, with two forgettable seasons in between (both Croad and McPharlin I'm talking about-he's hardly ever on the park). By an Eagles' perspective, it was Ken Judge's final parting gift to the Eagles-enabling us to snare Juddy...probably the only thing we can thank him for.

It is basic Eagle policy these days to have limited amounts of picks at drafts (3 both in the past two national drafts) therefore we have no room, nor time to consider the draftee's origin-it simply is best available in Woodhouse's & Nisbett's opinion at the time, further exemplified by the choice of two South Australian's last November...we don't normally draft from there, but with the expansion of the league into a national comp, they can't consume themselves with the topic of home state loyalty. Teams like Richmond who had 9 picks at the last draft can perhaps afford to address this issue with their late rounds selections, but otherwise it plays no bearing anymore.

Linking in with Black Juju's question, it is only an issue in the AFL because of the size of both the country and the league in comparison to the premier sporting league's of the U.S. We have 16 clubs based in only five states, compared to the likes in excess of 30-32 clubs throughout 20 states in the NFL's, the NBA's and the NHL's. Very few draft nominees get selected, or can expect to be selected by either their favourite club or their local club in the States-here it is improbable (a 1 in 16 chance, or 6.25% chance) of it here...over there it is half that. In fact, since the league's alike the NHL (who are drafting more and more European born players) and the MLB's (who have a large proportion of Central American based players drafted each year), it is only the likes of the NBA and the NFL that can have an issue like the one draftee's face here-all NFL draftee's come out of the American collegiate system (virtually no international born players or non-college players are drafted). Therefore, players from college's that are based locally to a team may be more favourable for the recruiting department over other players, yet because of the permutations and percentages involved, it plays even less of an issue than here. In any sense, the general rule goes that any draftee is just happy to get a club- no matter where they're based, who they are or which league it is.

I for one would like to see the AFL National Draft become more along the line's of the U.S. league's drafts....if anybody listened to the broadcast, you would know it was a very rushed, quickfire affair. The first 10-20 picks were all rifled off like that, with the recruiters each time hardly ever pausing or thinking about who to take...this quick thinking may have caused Burges a spot, as Orangeapple said. The whole draft was over in a matter of two hours, in the States it takes two whole days to complete the draft-the first day consumed on just the first 3 rounds. While I'm not saying I'd like to see the draft like that- that is going overboard, I'd like to see it given more focus. The whole thing is broadcast live on TV in the U.S. whereas here we get an hour long recap. Over there, each club has 5 minutes on the block before having to turn in a selection to the commisioner. In the AFL, the recruiters stay at their table and just shout out the name and his amateur club. The #1 picks over there all get a big applause as well as coming on stage and meeting with his new clubs staff- Adam Cooney didn't even get a clap, despite him being in the audience at the time. It's a big thing for the draftee's-give them a little adulation and credit, I think they deserve it.

So no one can tell me if Burges is on West Perths squad in either league, reserves or colts. That is all that I asked. A simple no would have been adequate.

So no one can tell me if Burges is on West Perths squad in either league, reserves or colts. That is all that I asked. A simple no would have been adequate.

I can! According to the West Perth website (http://www.falconsfc.com.au/players/players.php his name isn't on the seniors (also includes reserves list). So I'm assuming he's in the colts team but can be elevated into the main squad during the year.

Originally posted by GoEagles
I can! According to the West Perth website (http://www.falconsfc.com.au/players/players.php his name isn't on the seniors (also includes reserves list). So I'm assuming he's in the colts team but can be elevated into the main squad during the year.

I am just waiting for Footy Forum to put up the colts squads, which should be in the next few days. I hope he hasn't become disillusioned with the system after his rollercoaster ride last year.

Suffers badly from Osteitis Pubis, therefore not on any lists atm. Adam Rowles is injured likewise (not quite sure what it is to be honest).

Originally posted by dasler
Suffers badly from Osteitis Pubis, therefore not on any lists atm. Adam Rowles is injured likewise (not quite sure what it is to be honest).

So he wasn't foxing at the Draft Camp. Do you know if Andrew (i think) Swallow playing Colts this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back