What's been your favourite moment ever as a footy fan?

Remove this Banner Ad

90% of this thread will be various GFs. Mines the 2017 one, obviously.

Outside of that run, 2014 R23 vs Sydney. They rested a few and it was at ANZ not the SCG, but still, we had to travel to face the top team to win our 9th straight game and book an unlikely finals spot. The most tense last quarter I’ve been involved in, Alex Rance took about 105 intercept marks and every single time he proceeded to kick it out on the full. But we won. I don’t remember what happened the next week unfortunately.

Cant go past the 1997 Grand Final, The 8 gol last term, Jarman, the euphoria after that siren and the city of Adelaide was a buzz for weeks after that. very special. coming in 2nd place for my fav moments i am going to have to say sitting there at the MCG at the prelim final in 1997 with my Dad and bro at 3qrt time almost in tears from being so tired after not sleeping on the overland train overnight and being down on the scoreboard thinking it was game over and the rest is history.. that fight back and another special performance from Mr Magic, Darren Jarman.. very special moment as a 14 year old back then.

1991-2000... the best era of footy

Yes you should.

How could you get more joy from a prelim win as opposed to a premiership?

So either you are very young, and haven't seen a flag or very easily pleased.

Because we have always been so good that it is super rare to score such a stunning upset win against our arch rival thereby stopping them equalling our record premiership haul.

1970 would be the only comparison

90% of this thread will be various GFs. Mines the 2017 one, obviously.

Outside of that run, 2014 R23 vs Sydney. They rested a few and it was at ANZ not the SCG, but still, we had to travel to face the top team to win our 9th straight game and book an unlikely finals spot. The most tense last quarter I’ve been involved in, Alex Rance took about 105 intercept marks and every single time he proceeded to kick it out on the full. But we won. I don’t remember what happened the next week unfortunately.
Watched the DVD last night. Almost teared up when Dusty kicked that goal in the last quarter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Grand Final isn't a 'moment'. When Geelong flogged Port in 2007 I vaguely remember Steve Johnson kicking a bunch of goals but my actual memory of the game is minimal. No vested interest in the result and it was one sided. The single moment I remember is seeing Billy Brownless in tears at the end.

My favourite moment is from the 1992 Grand Final. "Matera sets sail for home... and the Eagles hit the front!"
Next would probably be Dom Sheed last year. Then "Chick! Hunter! Goal!" from 2006.

As for a goosebump moment in football (just not Australian rules) you can't go past: "Aloisi, Cahill ... Cahiiiiiiiiiiiill ... TIM CAHILL HAS DONE IT AGAIN! What a goal by Tim Cahill! 2-1 Australia! Oh it's a wonderful moment in Kaiserslautern"

Will go for the non obvious Grand Final moments.

For mine it was the comeback at the Cattery in 2006, down by 54 points in the third quarter and we came back to win it

This goal is that one that sticks in the mind. Pav's 300th game and as soon as the clearance happened you knew what was about to happen. The roar when it went through was great

1.1987 gf kernahan helicopter kick goal.
2. 1993 semi v crows final siren.
3. 1995 prelim manton soccer goal.
4. 1995 Gf williams intercept mark.
5. 1999 prelim Fraser Brown tackle.
6. 2011 elim final carrazo goal last quarter.

Pretty much most of last season, especially the first two finals.

Not to mention breaking all of our hoodoos over the last few years some of which dated back 10 years.

We're obviously having an off year, but will come back bigger and better than ever next season a la Adelaide/Collingwood of years gone by.

1. When the siren blew to end the 2005 GF.
2. Nick Malceski goal in 2012 GF.
3. Plugger point after the siren in 1996 Prelim.
4. Nick Davis' 4 goals in last quarter of 2005 Semi.
5. Lewis Jetta 90M run (and not many bounces) and goal in 2012 Prelim.
6. Tony Lockett kicking 16.0 from 16 kicks against Fitzroy in 1995, and following it
up with 12.0 the next week.
7. Beating Melbourne by 10 goals in 1993 to end our 26 game losing streak.
8. Having Tony Lockett, Paul Roos and Stuart Maxfield all join the club the same
year (1995).
9. Having Buddy come to us in 2014.
10. Knowing my family and I have had the same four of the best seats at the SCG for
the last 25 years.

2016 Grand Final - 5 1/2 minutes left and the Dogs have a 9 point lead as Sydney begin another attack from the half back line. Long kick to Buddy on the wing is spoiled by Dale Morris - ball spills to Naismith who handballs to Kennedy, who then handballs back to Buddy streaming through the centre looking to launch a long kick towards goal -up steps Morris again with a big tackle on Bud causing the ball to spill to the much maligned Tom Boyd. Boyd then kicks for goal from the centre square and somehow the ball manages to bounce through for a goal to put the Dogs 15 points up and produced some of the best commentary AFL football has ever heard. And BT dropped the "magic" word.

1. Stewie Dew 'can kick this, and he has!' 30 points up as the underdog in a grand final. Amazing.
2. Get a hearse for the curse in the 2013 prelim final.
3. The dogs beat the Giants in the 2016 prelim.
4. "Tom Boyd, from inside the square! F@$&!".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back