What's been your favourite moment ever as a footy fan?

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
1984 Grand final where we came back and ran all over the Hawks and stopped them from winning back to back.

Going on and winning back to back against them in 1985 was pretty sweet also.

This. Beating Carlton in 93 was also very sweet.

Not including GFs Anzac Day 2009.

caspian

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Sheed last year was obviously pretty up there, but I feel that '06 where they're throwing it in inside the swans' 50 and the siren goes and Cox throws his hands up, that was probably bigger than anything else. That was one draining game.

craffles is kinda correct but that feel good moment sorta stuff, while nice, doesn't really reach that same level as a tight as hell grand final win. That explosion of joy, that agony and ecstasy etc, is the kinda thing that only something like a GF can really provide.

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
Sheed last year was obviously pretty up there, but I feel that '06 where they're throwing it in inside the swans' 50 and the siren goes and Cox throws his hands up, that was probably bigger than anything else. That was one draining game.

craffles is kinda correct but that feel good moment sorta stuff, while nice, doesn't really reach that same level as a tight as hell grand final win. That explosion of joy, that agony and ecstasy etc, is the kinda thing that only something like a GF can really provide.

Yeah I agree but I just love those moments. Hasn’t helped that Essendon haven’t had much success recently hahaha

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
'07.

I was 39 and had been going to the footy since the early / mid 70s. It was a long time coming. A heap of us at a mates place and we knew we were going to win when Ottens chased down Pettigrew.

It may have been one sided and boring to a non-Geelong (or Adelaide) supporter, but 119 points, it was as close to perfection as you're likely to see in a gf.

OneEyedHawk

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 13, 2004
Ringwood East
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The roar of the crowd in 84’ deep into that last qrt as the goals came flooding in...is forever etched in my heart..

I’m forever grateful I was actually there to experience it.🙂

I still maintain that crowd was the loudest (and most painful) noise I've ever heard. I'm sure I saw the roof of the old Southern raise for a moment.
2013 Prelim will always be the best for me.

Same. I've been to every final and GF since '82, and the '13 PF was a thing of beauty. For all the reasons already stated- the pain of '11 and then again in '12, the Kennett Curse, all compounded by unabashed fury at the umpiring in the 3rd quarter...probably my most ecstatic moment in footy too.

HolyWars

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Barcelona, Boca Juniors
02:07 remaining in the 3rd quarter of the 2008 GF.

"Dew could kick this, and he has. He's playing the best five minutes of his footy life, and that includes the 04 Grand Final"

Turmoil

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2006
?
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tigers Storm Jazz Steelers
images

HAPPY BUDDHA

🤣🤣🤣
10k Posts
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
The pet piglet at HF on the SCG.

Ablett Snr ‘89 finals series.

Cousins on the podium with Judd.

Fev at the Brownlow.

Eddie McGuires face when Sheed kicked that goal

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I'll just say the Eagles-Swans mid 00s rivalry. To have your 2 family clubs battling like that for 3 years was like winning the footy god lottery. Maybe not a moment, but a moment in time to me now.

I watched Lockett's PF winner & his record-breaking '99 goal on the same television, both of those are right up there for memorability.

Back