What's been your favourite moment ever as a footy fan?

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably the moments after winning the 1982 grand final. Exciting team , larrikin characters, well over 100,000 crowd. the music pumping build up is all Rocky motivation type stuff of the time. We had lost the semi-final to the Tigers with the Dominator suspended and one or two other important players out. These were clearly the two super power clubs of early 80's as a kid as so so much history between these two clubs both recently and decade before I followed. I not felt a pumped all week for a game of football in my life. Heavy weight stakes on the line. We won flag in 79, Tigers 1980 and us in 1981. Our chance to get revenge for two weeks earlier , win back to back flags and decide once and for all whom was the better team of the two super teams of the time as a kid going to school for bragging rights. Such arch rivals. Tribal hatred between the two clubs was legendary. If you win all the glory, if you lose, farrrrkkkk as a kid. We win, back to back flags, revenge on Tigers and outright, yes outright club with most premierships in the league. It was sensational times to be a kid. Dominator, Doull, Bosustow, Hunter, Harmesy, Sheldon, Ashman, Perovic, Buckley, McConville, Marcou...does not get any better than those moments to watch it all unfold in real time. Those guys will be forever heroes. 3 flags in 4 years in a tough era, that was the moment kings of the footy world. To beat the arch enemy of the time, win the premiership, exciting grand final and have most premierships in the league, all at the same time.... Incredible moment

Not involving my team - wasn't there
Carlton 99 Prelim
Steve Johnson goal vs the Cats on his return

Not involving my team - was there
Fevola bomb from the boundary line at AAMI after Carlton couldn't get the ball in their half of the ground early on in the game... was near where he kicked it.

Involving my team - wasn't there
Haven't seen anything like that... It's gone at Right angles, right angles Tim!

Involving my team - was there
Port v Richmond fathers day massacre, behind the very goals we kicked too, the wind's fault LMAO

Last edited:

West Perth winning the 1975 Grand Final, I was only young but will remember to this day the joy I felt at seeing my club win the flag for the first time live.

Couple of SOO games in the 80's at Subiaco were great days and great footy was played.

Following PAFC_1870's template:

Not Geelong (didn't attend)
  • Tom Boyd's goal in the 2016 GF (from inside the centre square!)
  • Dom Sheed's goal in the 2018 GF
Not Geelong (attended)
  • Gazza's goal at KP from the boundary when he was playing for the Suns
  • Buddy's goal from inside the centre square against the Hawks in 2016
  • Isaac Heeney's huge mark in Round 1 this year against the Dogs
Geelong (didn't attend)
  • 2009 Grand Final, Matthew Scarlett's toe poke to Gazza
  • 2011 Grand Final, Hawkins taking another contested mark, this time handballing to Stevie J who kicked the goal
  • Tom Hawkin's goal after the siren vs Hawthorn in 2012
Geelong (attended)
  • Isaac Smith's miss in the 2016 QF
  • Danger's 2nd quarter against Hawthorn in 2017, playing on one foot
  • The last quarter comeback against Melbourne at home last year, topped off with Zach Tuohy's goal after the siren
  • Gazza's mark and goal, then goal against Hawthorn on Easter Monday earlier this year
It's so hard to pick just one, but I'd say Zach Tuohy's goal last year is my favourite, mostly because I was there, the build up to the moment was incredible, and the fact that I was old enough to remember and live in the moment

more recently
since 2010 replay GF then

2018 prelim v tigers when the pies wacked them around the mcg under lights was unreal

Today, reading West Coast posters dribble re- McGovern getting a week and 'The Diver' not getting Bellchambers a week.

Only few stick out as a Carlton fan

'99 Prelim - Obvious nom, but that was the best win I have seen as a Carlton supporter, against arguably the most talented team of that era.

2012 Round 3 v Collingwood - First time I thought the team was capable of going deep into the finals. We had such an exciting team, and Judd, Murphy and Gibbs were at their peak (as a collective). Murphy dominated, and was possibly the best player in the league at the time.

2013 Elimination final v Richmond - In by default, and pulled off a miracle win off the back of some heroic performances by Gibbs, Judd and Duigan.

2010 Round 5 v Geelong - First glimpse the team we were building could go places. Remember optimistically betting a Geelong-supporter mate $10 we'd win, and we ended up belting them. Distinctly recall Yarran slotting one (or two?) outside 50, and Kane Lucas coming in and looking composed and skilful - what happened?

2017 Round 12 v GWS - On paper we shouldn't have got near it, but ended up grinding out a good win. Probably the best under Bolton's tenure.

As a perennial cellar dweller, you learn to savour any surprise wins, and years later look back with a lucid sense of nostalgia.

Apart from grand final wins these are mine off the top of my head:

Fletcher's rundown of garlett
Zaharakis anzac day 2009
Watson's goal in the 93 prelim when I knew we were home
The biggest comeback ever in 2001 against North Melbourne
Walloping north Melbourne in the 2000 semi
Scott Lucas seven in a quarter.

Non Essendon
Jason McCartneys comeback post Bali
Akermanis Brownlow (loved the story)
Mick McGuanes outrageous goal in 93.
Geelong breaking the AFL record score in 92 and john armadillo Hutton kicking 8

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2007 GF. I know it was a hopelessly lopsided affair, but it meant I could savour my first Geelong premiership.....and here I was convinced I would never see a Cats’ premiership

Boring thread idea. How about moments that weren't in GFs

Not jealous

Fremantle fans can help with that one.

Although it is how Freo got to the GF. 2013 prelim at Subi between Fremantle and Sydney.

The first half was about as good as it got under the 'Lyon manic pressure' style of football, just completely out competed Sydney (who had a lot of injuries and tired players). Say what you like about that game plan but when it really worked it was entertaining enough it was when it failed that it got real ugly.

By the 3rd quarter Fremantle got out to over 50 points and we knew they were going to their first grand final. The 'Freo' chant then was the loudest I've ever heard it and there was a real feeling of celebrating. We had the grand final upgrade so it was fantastic knowing we were going to be sitting at the MCG in a few days for the grand final... that day was pretty average but the build up was still fun.

The 84’ and 85’ grand finals are forever etched in my memory as I was there at the ground as a 14 and 15 year old kid.

But out of all the memories of the hundreds of bomber games I’ve witnessed live...either watching on tv or live at the ground...Tim Watson’s goal late in the 93’ preliminary final is the one that I adore the most.

It’s a story I can’t be bothered explaining right here...but bomber fans my age know what I’m taking about.

Some 26 years later...just a minute ago..watching it again...it still brings a joy to my heart like no other. The roar of the crowd....

And G.Cornes’ shake of the head up in the coaches box still warms my heart at the sight of it.

Glorious.

Exactly 3 mins in on this video...

The 84’ and 85’ grand finals are forever etched in my memory as I was there at the ground as a 14 and 15 year old kid.
me too. Especially that comeback in 84 after the heartache of 83 (the only GF I've attended). Can still remember leaping around my loungeroom as Watson and co. finished all over the unbeatable hawks. I was 17

me too. Especially that comeback in 84 after the heartache of 83 (the only GF I've attended). Can still remember leaping around my loungeroom as Watson and co. finished all over the unbeatable hawks. I was 17

The roar of the crowd in 84’ deep into that last qrt as the goals came flooding in...is forever etched in my heart..

I’m forever grateful I was actually there to experience it.🙂

Goddard's mark and goal in the 2010 grand final. For a few minutes there I dared to think we might actually win it.

Winmar kicking a goal late in the 1997 prelim another that springs to mind.

Apart from my Eagles, my favourite moment as a footy fan got to be the 2016 AFL Grand Final and the Bulldogs Finals run

Dogs had to travel to Perth in week 1 to play Grand Finalists West Coast , back to Melbourne to play the 3-time premiers Hawthorn in week 2 and then travel to Sydney to play GWS to reach the Grand Final from 7th seed.

Tom Boyd’s goal is the most memorable moment with BT dropping some magic as well as Luke Beveridge giving his coaches medal to Bob Murphy were the highlights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back