What's coming up ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
over the next 18 months:

- 11 tests (assuming we make the WTC Final)
- 21 odi's
- 27 T20I's (plus potential SF and Final of T20I WC)

in india - 3 odi's
in south africa - 3 odi's/ 3 T20I's
home v nz - 3 odi's
in new zealand- 3 T20I's
in zimbabe - 3 odi's (is this really going to go ahead?)
in scotland - 1 T20I
in england - 3 odi's/ 3 T20I's
tour to bangladesh - 2 TESTS / 3 T20I's

home v west indies - 3 T20I's
home v india - 3 T20I's
home - World Cup T20I
home v afghanistan - 1 TEST
home v india - 4 TESTS / 3 odi's
home v new zealand - 3 odi's
in south africa - 3 TESTS
in new zealand - 3 T20I's
*in england june 2021 - World Test Championship Final

this then leads into another T20I world cup and a home ashes series.

It appears so. Cricket Australia and Zimbabwe Cricket are in advanced discussions

It's not in Zimbabwe, but a top end ODI tour in Australia's winter. The previous venues in the early 00's were in Cairns and Darwin, but given the amount of FC cricket played at Traegar Park, like the Shield Final, it's likely to include Alice Springs. There's even talk that the Afghanistan test next Oct/Nov may be played in Alice Springs rather than the main venues, which would suit the Afghan spinners more.

There's so much potential here to play a one or two match top end test match series. Especially given the lack of test cricket we are playing in 2020.

We've only ever played 3 test match's against them and the last test was 17 years ago.

New Zealand have played them in 3 series since then.

Zimbabwe didn't play any test matches in 2019, it would be showing good leadership, we are doing it with Afghanistan next summer and likely Ireland on the next away Ashes tour. It would be a good test case for future top end winter test matches against the likes of Afghanistan, Ireland, Bangladesh and even Sri Lanka and could be used as a great development pathway for some fringe cricketers to have a look at in the test side.

Last edited:

The 2020 FTP really is puzzling. Seven tests for Australia and five for India. Two years later though in 2022 we are scheduled for 14 and India for 11. That is just rubbish scheduling. This notion that it is due to scheduling lots of T20s in before the t20 world cup does not stand up at all. If you are going to hold eight t20 world cups between 2007-2021, there cannot possibly be the justification that lead up years need a disproportionate drop in test matches.

It's not in Zimbabwe, but a top end ODI tour in Australia's winter. The previous venues in the early 00's were in Cairns and Darwin, but given the amount of FC cricket played at Traegar Park, like the Shield Final, it's likely to include Alice Springs. There's even talk that the Afghanistan test next Oct/Nov may be played in Alice Springs rather than the main venues, which would suit the Afghan spinners more.
Brisbane could have no Test next summer? That seems unlikely.

I would expect Darwin, Cairns and Townsville to be the winter series hosts; but Alice Springs is possible.

The 2020 FTP really is puzzling. Seven tests for Australia and five for India. Two years later though in 2022 we are scheduled for 14 and India for 11. That is just rubbish scheduling. This notion that it is due to scheduling lots of T20s in before the t20 world cup does not stand up at all. If you are going to hold eight t20 world cups between 2007-2021, there cannot possibly be the justification that lead up years need a disproportionate drop in test matches.
The problem is that the WTC concludes in mid-2021, and certain teams have to complete certain series against each other before that happens.

Because ECB/BCCI/CA prioritise things like the Ashes and good opposition for their home summers over smooth scheduling of the WTC, India and Australia have ended up with their tours badly front-loaded. We've both played 3/6 WTC series in the first six months of the competition, whereas the other teams have only played 1 or 2.

As a result we have to take a bit of a lull during 2020 to allow all the other teams an opportunity to play each other and catch up.

Last edited:

One wonders if CA will do what they did to Bangladesh a few years ago and cancel the home series due to "financial reasons". CA wouldn't even entertain the thought of ditching the Tests for ODIs against Bangladesh in the winter so I can't see why Zimbabwe is any different.

With India coming for the Australian summer, they should make the 3-match ODI series a tri-series to include Zimbabwe. Would solve the clash with The Hundred tournament and the AFL/NRL finals. Also more money for broadcast rights to India due to more India games.

Last edited:
One wonders if CA will do what they did to Bangladesh a few years ago and cancel the home series due to "financial reasons". CA wouldn't even entertain the thought of ditching the Tests for ODIs against Bangladesh in the winter so I can't see why Zimbabwe is any different.

With India coming for the Australian summer, they should make the 3-match ODI series a tri-series to include Zimbabwe. Would solve the clash with The Hundred tournament and the AFL/NRL finals. Also more money for broadcast rights to India due to more India games.
The only difference is easy points in the ODI ranking which now leads to WC qualifying. But Aus should be top 8 (auto-qualify) without the points against Zim.

The only difference is easy points in the ODI ranking which now leads to WC qualifying. But Aus should be top 8 (auto-qualify) without the points against Zim.

If any of Australia, India or England were a chance to miss the WC due to a points system then that system would be quickly replaced.

I doubt the big boards really care about any of this stuff including the Test Championship. Even if Australia make that final I doubt many Australians will even know it's on since it'll be on during footy season.

The ODI qualifiers just seems like a convenient way to cut out a couple of members who give the World Cup less "big" games. There's no feeling of excitement when the West Indies qualify, there's just sadness that Scotland for example got cut.

If any of Australia, India or England were a chance to miss the WC due to a points system then that system would be quickly replaced.

I doubt the big boards really care about any of this stuff including the Test Championship. Even if Australia make that final I doubt many Australians will even know it's on since it'll be on during footy season.

The ODI qualifiers just seems like a convenient way to cut out a couple of members who give the World Cup less "big" games. There's no feeling of excitement when the West Indies qualify, there's just sadness that Scotland for example got cut.
I don't disagree with any of that, and would not be at all surprised if CA turned aorund cancelled the Zimbabwe games. That is, if Zimbabwe are still an ICC nation by then. They seem on the verge of collapsing again (never playing the big sides doesn't help matters) and maybe another ICC ban.

Brisbane could have no Test next summer? That seems unlikely.

I would expect Darwin, Cairns and Townsville to be the winter series hosts; but Alice Springs is possible.

I'm praying one of the Tests vs India is in Brisbane, given the Australians record at the venue.

It appears so. Cricket Australia and Zimbabwe Cricket are in advanced discussions

was always gonna be some excuse as usual for this NOT to go ahead.

sure these are different circumstances and cricket australia gave the reason 'because of covid-19'.

it appears the england white ball will still go ahead and their covid situation is worse than ours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back