Whats going on with the China game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Soccer was established in China pre-Communism, so we can all appreciate that it's perhaps the biggest team sport over there.

The curious one is basketball. How did communist China (at a time when it was far more isolated) come to love that quintessentially American game?

Yao Ming set a bomb under it, but its held.well. found it funny walking around Guiyang and seeing kids wearing Harden gear

Playing no, supporting yes. The amount of soccer on tv over there is huge, that and the nba

Even in inland counties you can watch big event games live in most bars (which is great because im over mahjong by day 1)

Not doubting soccer is popular among some Chinese...it's a fraction of the populace though.

As a benchmark, the turnover of the Chinese super league is around that of the nrl (inc clubs)

Not doubting soccer is popular among some Chinese...it's a fraction of the populace though.

As a benchmark, the turnover of the Chinese super league is around that of the nrl (inc clubs)

Lol, no one gives a s**t about the local league, they follow the euro leagues

Have you spent any time in china????

Lol, no one gives a s**t about the local league, they follow the euro leagues

Have you spent any time in china????

Never been there, just using common sense. A country with 1.6billion whose premier soccer competition turns over less than the nrl is not a country with 1.6 billion soccer lovers.

That was a ridiculous statement no matter how much you squirm and grasp and lol. Lol.

Never been there, just using common sense. A country with 1.6billion whose premier soccer competition turns over less than the nrl is not a country with 1.6 billion soccer lovers.

That was a ridiculous statement no matter how much you squirm and grasp and lol. Lol.

Locals dont like the local league because the chinese players are paid a s**t load and are useless. As they joke, 800 million men and they cant find 11 who can kick a.ball

They watch the euro leagues because its the best in the world, and there isnt a culture of following a local side. The only "side" they care about is the national one

Its a completely different sporting culture to ours, one you may know if you did more than just watch getaway

Locals dont like the local league because the chinese players are paid a s**t load and are useless. As they joke, 800 million men and they cant find 11 who can kick a.ball

They watch the euro leagues because its the best in the world, and there isnt a culture of following a local side. The only "side" they care about is the national one

Its a completely different sporting culture to ours, one you may know if you did more than just watch getaway

I don't watch getaway. I'll leave you with yourself, now...lol :)

Maybe this game was good for Port's sponsorship but on any other metric it was a complete failure. It looked like it engaged approximately zero Chinese fans in the audience, Gillon said they were in the marques but that doesn't bode well for their interest in the game. There was plenty of fawning Australian press coverage but I doubt there was any Chinese press. Who knows how it rated on Chinese TV but I doubt it was more than a rounding error. The AFL and Port can engage in as much backslapping as they want but this is never going to be more than an novelty game, and teams are soon going to get sick of travelling for 24 hours solid during the season. I think this concept will die quietly in a few years.

Maybe this game was good for Port's sponsorship but on any other metric it was a complete failure. It looked like it engaged approximately zero Chinese fans in the audience, Gillon said they were in the marques but that doesn't bode well for their interest in the game. There was plenty of fawning Australian press coverage but I doubt there was any Chinese press. Who knows how it rated on Chinese TV but I doubt it was more than a rounding error. The AFL and Port can engage in as much backslapping as they want but this is never going to be more than an novelty game, and teams are soon going to get sick of travelling for 24 hours solid during the season. I think this concept will die quietly in a few years.

Financially the decision looks sound - the costs were covered AND Port gained a 3 million sponsorship deal on top of it. In addition Port and the AFL will be doing some ongoing development with the game. People really need to start thinking bigger picture.

Financially the decision looks sound - the costs were covered AND Port gained a 3 million sponsorship deal on top of it. In addition Port and the AFL will be doing some ongoing development with the game. People really need to start thinking bigger picture.

But what is the big picture? Having a Chinese following that funnels money back to Australia? Just imagine how much it would cost to get something like Auskick up and running in China, not to mention Chinese parents don't want their kids playing sport because it's a distraction from their education. I'm sure people will say maybe there will be a Chinese television following that will attract money that way, well it is highly dubious whether that would happen in the numbers required and would take far more investment than a one off showpiece game once a year. The other problem is that the AFL is a provincial Australian game that can't compare to European soccer, or US sports like NBA. They are hype machines, AFL is a big fish in a small pond. You also have to look at the games that are followed in China. Basketball and Soccer are essentially non-contact sports. Chinese don't like physical clashes, that's why NFL isn't followed there.

Chinese don't like physical clashes, that's why NFL isn't followed there.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...e/news-story/94fcf06392e1478ecb89bee259341012
FROM THE AUSTRALIAN (I know a lot of people don't want to give this paper ad revenue so here's the article):

"They might not have understood what they were watching, but if the gasps from the crowd were anything to go by, the 4000 Chinese who turned up at Shanghai Jiangan Stadium to watch Port Adelaide thrash the Gold Coast Suns yesterday liked what they saw. AFL boss Gillon McLachlan watched the first AFL match played in China for competition points with a group of dignitaries who demonstrated, if not understanding, at least a keen interest.

“There’s a bit of oohing and ahhing; I don’t know whether they’re getting it,” Mr McLachlan said. “There’s a lot of Chinese here up in the stands and they’re gasping, I think they love the hard hits. It’s a pretty entertaining game of footy.”

Out in the bleachers, where the locals joined the more than 5000 Port fans and few hundred Suns supporters who had travelled from Australia, there was genuine excitement about the game, won 16.14 (110) to 4.14 (38) by the Adelaide side.

“Is it a dangerous game? Yes, and it’s got to be. It’s the danger that brings the excitement,” said 25-year-old Shanghai resident Zhou Shuyu.

“It gives us a totally different feeling from other sports. I love to see the players pounding into each other. They are so brave, without protection.”

Others barrack for the Suns. Picture: Qi Yunfeng
Ms Zhou’s boyfriend Fan Tianqi, who is more used to badminton and table tennis, said of his first encounter with AFL: “I have watched a few American football games before and I’m amazed to see that Australian football has such completely different rules.

“When we have children, we will have them play this game. Why not? Let them run, grab, hit each other, be wild — it’s great.”

Gymnastics coach Tao Zhongbao, who took his five-year-old son Xudong to the game, agreed: “I will definitely want him to play this sport, it will teach him to be fearless.”

But not every newcomer was won over by the spectacle. A Shanghainese woman who did not wish to be named was frustrated that she needed to use her smartphone to go online during the game to read the rules. This was despite the best efforts of the AFL to make the game accessible to first-time fans by providing information on the sport’s rules on a giant video screen, and distributing leaflets to spectators.

Tao Zhongbao said: “I felt lost watching the first half, but gradually started to pick up more in the second half.

“It’s a good sport to watch, but for us Chinese to play it, our physique leaves us at a disadvantage.”

Yesterday’s game was broadcast live throughout China on a sports network with a potential audience of millions. And Shanghai and Guangzhou TV stations have signed up to broadcasting live AFL games and highlights packages throughout the season. China Central TV — following a fairly successful pilot season last year — will decide soon whether to continue to broadcast AFL.

Mr McLachlan was confident the event would become a permanent feature of the AFL season.

“We want to invest in the long-term and the aim is this not to be one-off,” he said. “I’m confident it will go ahead and we’ll invest here for the long-term.”"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

haha you are so far off the mark it's embarrasing

A
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...e/news-story/94fcf06392e1478ecb89bee259341012
FROM THE AUSTRALIAN (I know a lot of people don't want to give this paper ad revenue so here's the article):

"They might not have understood what they were watching, but if the gasps from the crowd were anything to go by, the 4000 Chinese who turned up at Shanghai Jiangan Stadium to watch Port Adelaide thrash the Gold Coast Suns yesterday liked what they saw. AFL boss Gillon McLachlan watched the first AFL match played in China for competition points with a group of dignitaries who demonstrated, if not understanding, at least a keen interest.

“There’s a bit of oohing and ahhing; I don’t know whether they’re getting it,” Mr McLachlan said. “There’s a lot of Chinese here up in the stands and they’re gasping, I think they love the hard hits. It’s a pretty entertaining game of footy.”

Out in the bleachers, where the locals joined the more than 5000 Port fans and few hundred Suns supporters who had travelled from Australia, there was genuine excitement about the game, won 16.14 (110) to 4.14 (38) by the Adelaide side.

“Is it a dangerous game? Yes, and it’s got to be. It’s the danger that brings the excitement,” said 25-year-old Shanghai resident Zhou Shuyu.

“It gives us a totally different feeling from other sports. I love to see the players pounding into each other. They are so brave, without protection.”

Others barrack for the Suns. Picture: Qi Yunfeng
Ms Zhou’s boyfriend Fan Tianqi, who is more used to badminton and table tennis, said of his first encounter with AFL: “I have watched a few American football games before and I’m amazed to see that Australian football has such completely different rules.

“When we have children, we will have them play this game. Why not? Let them run, grab, hit each other, be wild — it’s great.”

Gymnastics coach Tao Zhongbao, who took his five-year-old son Xudong to the game, agreed: “I will definitely want him to play this sport, it will teach him to be fearless.”

But not every newcomer was won over by the spectacle. A Shanghainese woman who did not wish to be named was frustrated that she needed to use her smartphone to go online during the game to read the rules. This was despite the best efforts of the AFL to make the game accessible to first-time fans by providing information on the sport’s rules on a giant video screen, and distributing leaflets to spectators.

Tao Zhongbao said: “I felt lost watching the first half, but gradually started to pick up more in the second half.

“It’s a good sport to watch, but for us Chinese to play it, our physique leaves us at a disadvantage.”

Yesterday’s game was broadcast live throughout China on a sports network with a potential audience of millions. And Shanghai and Guangzhou TV stations have signed up to broadcasting live AFL games and highlights packages throughout the season. China Central TV — following a fairly successful pilot season last year — will decide soon whether to continue to broadcast AFL.

Mr McLachlan was confident the event would become a permanent feature of the AFL season.

“We want to invest in the long-term and the aim is this not to be one-off,” he said. “I’m confident it will go ahead and we’ll invest here for the long-term.”"
Also even the viewership in Australia was double the same game last year..just imagine what it could be with potentially a bigger oppo club next year and the bigger exposure.

Meh. MElbourne tried this approach years ago with little success. The club received a half decent sponsorship with China Southern airlines.

Kochie seems to think this is his brilliant new scheme.

Also big Max spewed on little Tommy, which is also China related.
Melbourne's effort was half hearted and they didn't do the groundwork, similarly to their effort with supporting the indigenous game in NT. Port have done both with great enthusiasm and planning. There's the difference.

You must love being negative BTW there were 3500 locals not zero_Oh and BTW how many GC supporters do we get to Melbourne games 1000 and thats in the same country.
If we can get rid of the GC next year and put a decent team with more than a few thousand supporters than the GC in Australia played at night and it will be a sellout easily and rate well.
This will work and the AFL will make it work Then again I see you follow Adelaide says it all really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back