Strategy What's Good For Us is SEPTEMBER

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the Goodwin game plan is very good against bottom sides, but only works against top sides when we’re dominating contested ball, which we don’t do consistently enough. Hopefully Viney’s return helps with that, and hopefully Petracca and Tyson return to form. T McDonald back also neatness up our forward structure which we really lacked v Geelong, Richmond, and Hawthorn, so I’m curious to see how we go playing another top side with him in.

Pretty sure I heard we are no.1 for contested ball differential this year.

I think the Goodwin game plan is very good against bottom sides, but only works against top sides when we’re dominating contested ball, which we don’t do consistently enough. Hopefully Viney’s return helps with that, and hopefully Petracca and Tyson return to form. T McDonald back also neatness up our forward structure which we really lacked v Geelong, Richmond, and Hawthorn, so I’m curious to see how we go playing another top side with him in.

It worked well against better sides last year.

Yeah but if you’ve watched any of our games you’ll notice that we tend to lose the quarters where we lose contested ball

It would be interesting if you could view the contested ball stats quarter to quarter

Personally I think what kills us in the quarters we lose it’s not being able to control the ball by foot (we over handball) and our ground ball gets inside 50 are non existent. Sides just waltz out of forward 50 and our zone falls to pieces.

Round 9
My thoughts
Dogs beat Crows- hard to see them making up % even if they draw level on games
GWS beat North - irrelevant but always fun to see over the top vision of young "Brad in the Box"
Suns beat Power - hard to see Suns making it so every win to them is good for us
Dons beat Cats - My God how can one barrack for an Essendon win!
Dockers beat Swans - no interest, just better outcome
Saints beat Pies - Of course, it is Collingwood
Lions beat Hawks - remember when all we had were honourable losses
Tigers beat WC - reckon WC will lose a few and drop back

I really enjoy this, I do the same thing, suss out the possible scenarios. I reckon the dogs are a real chance to beat the injury ridden crows tonight.

I really enjoy this, I do the same thing, suss out the possible scenarios. I reckon the dogs are a real chance to beat the injury ridden crows tonight.
Agree mate.
I give Brissy a massive chance against Hawthorn over there too. They're playing reasonable footy and are well and truly due.

This is one of the things I missed when we were an absolute rabble. It actually makes the rest of the round of footy that much more enjoyable and interesting when the games have an impact on your team.
Those days were horrible it got to the point where I didn't even care about losing and the rest of the competition. I had to rely on hate ti feel anything, hate of Hawthorn usually it was the start of their triple. Anyways it feels weird winning I'm not use to it, I'm actually gaining some confidence in this team that we are winning the games we should win. I'm actually looking forward to a tougher patch even if we lose just to see where we're at. I actually think our losses so far aren't a true indication of where the team is, the Geelong game well was round one and we really lost it in a 20 minute bad patch, I think we are starting to fix that problem better now. Hawthorn game was shocking but not a true reflexion of where we are at, we dominated and couldn't capitalized then we just gave up. The tiger's game wasn't too bad we were in it kept them to eight goals at 3/4 time and then the flood gates opened late. I'm still not sure where we are at but I'm excited to find out.

Whoops!

Dogs are like us in a way. They have beaten up and won against teams who are really struggling. As soon as they come up against decent opposition, they turn to water. They need a big scalp as much as we do. The Crows, Dogs and Pies games are huge for us. Especially the Crows. If we can bump them off, then I'd say we are finals bound. But the truth is, if we win tomorrow against Carlton, then our 5 wins would have come against the bottom 5 sides. Have to win those games, but to play finals, you have to beat teams around and above as well.

Whoops!

Dogs are like us in a way. They have beaten up and won against teams who are really struggling. As soon as they come up against decent opposition, they turn to water. They need a big scalp as much as we do. The Crows, Dogs and Pies games are huge for us. Especially the Crows. If we can bump them off, then I'd say we are finals bound. But the truth is, if we win tomorrow against Carlton, then our 5 wins would have come against the bottom 5 sides. Have to win those games, but to play finals, you have to beat teams around and above as well.
We beat teams above and around us last year. If we win all of our games against bottom 10 sides and win a few games v top 8 sides that’s a good season to me.

To me - it's how bad our bad quarters are. I think its hard to win all four quarters against good teams - see Cats. So, in essence its not about quarters won / quarters lost ratio (I think we were in the top 5 or so sides for that last year) It's the damage our bad quarters do. TMAC helps a great deal to get a mark or neutralize contests inside 50. But mt greatest concerns are
  • We don't seem to be able to react in the moment - Jones is a great off field leader and bloke, but doesn't seem to be able to sense / step up during the momentum swings, rather the next quarter when it is often too late, will a fit Viney help on this?
  • I still have a concern we hang our heads a great deal when these swings happen - we were lucky in the first half against Essendon, could have been many goals down
I agree with the sentiments above - we need to see how we go against the big dogs to see if we have addressed this in the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me - it's how bad our bad quarters are. I think its hard to win all four quarters against good teams - see Cats. So, in essence its not about quarters won / quarters lost ratio (I think we were in the top 5 or so sides for that last year) It's the damage our bad quarters do. TMAC helps a great deal to get a mark or neutralize contests inside 50. But mt greatest concerns are
  • We don't seem to be able to react in the moment - Jones is a great off field leader and bloke, but doesn't seem to be able to sense / step up during the momentum swings, rather the next quarter when it is often too late, will a fit Viney help on this?
  • I still have a concern we hang our heads a great deal when these swings happen - we were lucky in the first half against Essendon, could have been many goals down
I agree with the sentiments above - we need to see how we go against the big dogs to see if we have addressed this in the season.

Of course Viney helps...

Remember the eagles game? The port game? The essendon game?

I still think our biggest flaw is our inside forward 50 efficiency. The reason we had so many forward 50s last week was because gold Coast were so terrible getting the ball out of defense. Though I think tmac coming has helped this we really need to capitalize against the best teams.

We've almost moved above Geelong without even playing. Bombers do us a massive favour here if they win, or even better, win big.

Of course Viney helps...

Remember the eagles game? The port game? The essendon game?

Yeah - shouldnt have written it like that I reckon he does and will be a huge help - which is why I really like him as a captain / co captain

Win by enough tomorrow (and the Hawks not winning by too much) and we're in the top 4.

Round 10 not counting Friday night.

Here is my viewing pleasure for the weekend.
Saints beat Tigers - they are looking catchable

Lions beat Swans - Obvious and I kind of empathise with their previous "brave losses" for some reason

Blues beat Cats - To overcome the crisis that envelops any team we thrash

Dons beat GWS - Immoral to pick them but GWS probably more threatening of the two going forward

Eagles beat Hawks - Push the Hawks futher away

Dockers beat North - Meh

To preempt - I know it is good for us if we win.

My viewing pleasure for the weekend.

Port to beat Tigers - Earlier I thought Tigers beating our other combatants for the 8 was most important to help us into the finals but suddenly they are within our sights so go Port.
Cats to beat North - no difference to us but I feel unjustifiably annoyed at North for also having recent success.
Suns to beat GWS - well of course it will not happen but it is on FTA up here, what joy.
Saints crush Swans - drive down Sydney percentage and of course Saints cannot catch us at this point. (Oh, oh, pride before fall, etc)
Lions beat Dons - obvious and would be thoroughly enjoyable viewing.
Dockers beat Crows - has it not been fun watching Adelaide lose.
Go DEES on Monday - Flew down and was on the fence in the pocket last year as Watts streamed past in the dying moments - memory for life. Let's make it a less stressful win this year.

Last edited:
4-5 goal win to the tigers over the cats today and we will go back up to fourth spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back