Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wombat

Debutant
Aug 18, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
Geelong
Has anyone on here ever asked why is Wade Street Oval Ok for use by the Bendigo Pioneers when the QEO is unsuitable for the Bendigo Bombers. Isn't AFLVic in charge of both competitions. Why doesn't the goat ask the question, is it because AFLVic dished cash into the rooms at Wade Street and therefore would be rather embarrassed that their investment wouldn't be utilised because of an unsatisfactory ground.

max powers.

Team Captain
Jan 24, 2006
Springfield
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
Has anyone on here ever asked why is Wade Street Oval Ok for use by the Bendigo Pioneers when the QEO is unsuitable for the Bendigo Bombers. Isn't AFLVic in charge of both competitions. Why doesn't the goat ask the question, is it because AFLVic dished cash into the rooms at Wade Street and therefore would be rather embarrassed that their investment wouldn't be utilised because of an unsatisfactory ground.

good Question, i'd say it would have something to do with the VFL having AFL listed players which are covered by the players asscociation Agreement which would stimulate they couldn't work in a dangerous workplace?

Just a guess

The Wombat

Debutant
Aug 18, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
Geelong
good Question, i'd say it would have something to do with the VFL having AFL listed players which are covered by the players asscociation Agreement which would stimulate they couldn't work in a dangerous workplace?

Just a guess

Your probably right Max, but if I were the next young superstar aka Jack Watts and busted my knee in the Wade St centre. I think I would have a serious case to legally take AFLVic to the cleaners as they are ultimately responsible.

Funnier things have happened is all I am saying, clearly the QEO is in much better nick than the centre wicket area at Wade Street.

Did anyone see the Advertiser article where 20 kids played an unscheduled match on Monday in the mud. I am sure the club/council were rapt to see that.

max powers.

Team Captain
Jan 24, 2006
Springfield
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
Did anyone see the Advertiser article where 20 kids played an unscheduled match on Monday in the mud. I am sure the club/council were rapt to see that.[/quote said:
Square would have been rapt to read that, considering the the ground was closed for training last night.

Truck

Club Legend
May 7, 2007
The Big Smoke
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Its country footy get over it... once upon a time footy was played in paddocks.... still a very similar game except back then you had go sized crowds there to watch blokes play the game not fairies.......

Number 1

Rookie
Jun 27, 2008
Yandoit
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Your probably right Max, but if I were the next young superstar aka Jack Watts and busted my knee in the Wade St centre. I think I would have a serious case to legally take AFLVic to the cleaners as they are ultimately responsible.

Funnier things have happened is all I am saying, clearly the QEO is in much better nick than the centre wicket area at Wade Street.

Did anyone see the Advertiser article where 20 kids played an unscheduled match on Monday in the mud. I am sure the club/council were rapt to see that.

I think its quite refreshing to hear 20 kids can organise to go and have a mini football game during the weekend. Too many would rather sit on the computer or play video games. We are becoming too precious. Sure the Square want to look after Wade St as best as they can but 20 kids is not going to make it a mudheap. Well done to those kids I say.

Essendon always like to find an excuse to relocate games to Windy Hill. I think it is pretty much a sure thing the Bendigo region will be without a VFL side which will be sad for the comp.

But personally I will not miss the Bombers, if we can some how stay in the VFL least we will have a team that has a number 1 priority of winning rather then giving game time to AFL players.

The old campaigner

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
malmsbury
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
hammers, packers
I think its quite refreshing to hear 20 kids can organise to go and have a mini football game during the weekend. Too many would rather sit on the computer or play video games. We are becoming too precious. Sure the Square want to look after Wade St as best as they can but 20 kids is not going to make it a mudheap. Well done to those kids I say.
Hear hear Number 1, after all, sports grounds are for the community at large. Good on those kids I say.
Our great game started by a bunch of people having a kick around anywhere they could find space.

saintsby12pts

Rookie
Sep 3, 2008
Home
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hear hear Number 1, after all, sports grounds are for the community at large. Good on those kids I say.
Our great game started by a bunch of people having a kick around anywhere they could find space.
Back in the days before mobile phones, we always used to get together at the Barrack reserve in Heathcote on a friday night at 5pm. Half the kids in the town would rock up for a game of footy. Made it easier when the Ring clan used to get there - as you were guaranteed at least 7 players for your side !! Ahhh those were the days....

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Team Captain
May 7, 2007
Channel 4 News
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Preston FC (R.I.P.)
This week marks the halfway mark of the season boys.... everyone will have played each other... what's the verdict now? Great thing to see every side has at least 1 win, top 3 are on equal points, there's a log jam from 4-6... and the bottom 4 sides are competitive from time to time.

South - Performing as most expected them to. Physically strong side, currently managing injuries well. Reserves on top of the ladder which means great depth.
Gisborne - first loss last week which wasn't unexpected. Saunders back but let's see how his body holds up. Team is going better than most expected - even there own supporters
Square - still the flag favourites for mine, but have a job to do against South to get rid of the voodoo - June 27!! Sth v Square, QEO
Kang Flat - finally some finals action seems a possibility. Individuals playing well which is winning them games, but as a team.. hmm, dunno. Their performance against E'hawk validates this point. On paper, they seem a stronger team, but they lose at home to the Burra?
Eaglehawk - Arnold, Singh on board and still no big bags by the big fella. Have some great young guns. Milward is a champ. Their depth is a worry as was their loss against Kyneton
Sandhurst - I said that this team could play finals... and I think they will. A credit to Nihill and the young boys that hung around after a dismal 2008. A list of young guns under 21 as long as your arm. Desperately need more big bodied players. A win this week would be magic.
S'saye - good effort to be so competitive in their first year. They need to win against teams like Mary/b at home if they are to be taken seriously. Big future ahead for the Power, no one disputes that.
Mary/b - well structured team-play. Love him or hate him, Fisher knows how to make something out of what he has got to work with... which isn't much. Very very competitive at home... and Gisborne!
C'maine - proud club, but recruiting is still an issue. If they have spent so much money on players this year like some have proclaimed, then.. on who? Can match it with the big boys, just not for 4 qtrs.
Kyneton - great win against the Burra and unlucky not to beat Hurst. The committee are working hard. Picione's were a great pick-up and hopefully they might be able to talk a few ex-AFL blokes into having a game in '10.

The old campaigner

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
malmsbury
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
hammers, packers
Has the BFL changed to a final 6, it would be the only chance Sandhurst to make the finals.
The way things are going there may only be 6 teams left next year, Kings Army says Gisborne are off to Ballarat,
Dirk Diggler reckons Kyneton are no good and belong in the Riddell league, Castlemaine are not travelling well at all and if all this happens Maryborough will not want to spend every second weekend in Bendigo so they might as well toss it in as well.
All Bendigo teams will make the finals and everyone will be happy.

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
Thought I might do another preview of the upcoming games this w/e, get some opinions going on my tips and thoughts....

Castlemaine vs. Gisborne - 80 pts

Wow. I think the boys from Camp Reserve are in for a big flogging here. I don't think they can match Gizzy in any area, and given they are coming off a disappointing first lost, I expect the boys from Gardiner Reserve to dish out a fair belting here. I have been kind with the margin, I think it could get very nasty...

Eaglehawk vs. Sandhurst - 25 pts

Probably the match of the round. This game could really shape both teams seasons. Eaglehawk have the chance to pull away and further stamp themselves into finals contention, where Sandhurst have the chance to prove they can mix it with the big boys. Both have a lot of great young players, but it is Eaglehawk's top end talent which I think gives them a distinct advantage (plus a very rowdy burra crowd is always helpful to their cause)....

Kyneton vs. Square - 52 pts.

Square are just going along nicely and playing a very slick and good looking brand of football at the minute, and will surely be to good for a Kyneton side, which if nothing else, is honest in their endeavour sand prepared to work their a** off. Square just too good in the end, but conditions down there might bring the result a bit closer then expected...

South vs. Flat - 40pts.

Should be a cracking tussle between two likely finalists. South have probably got a few injury and form concerns to some good players, but its no real secret that their depth is as good as any, if not better, so they should be well served by perhaps a few lesser knowns. Flat are a hard side to gauge at the moment, their good is pretty damn good, but their ability to sustain such good play is very questionable. I expect this to be one of those games where Flat hang in there all day and probably just slip away at times with the result not really reflecting the play...

Strathfieldsaye vs. Maryborough. - 6pts.

I expect this will be one of the closer games of the w/e. Both fairly evenly matched sides, with a similar blend of youth and experience. There is not too much to say here apart from that I think it will be a tussle of two reasonably skilled sides, who will both fancy themselves as a huge chance to take home the 4 pts. Will be a good match :thumbsu:

Thoughts??

dirkdiggler69

Senior List
Suspended
Jan 22, 2009
hilltop
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The way things are going there may only be 6 teams left next year, Kings Army says Gisborne are off to Ballarat,
Dirk Diggler reckons Kyneton are no good and belong in the Riddell league, Castlemaine are not travelling well at all and if all this happens Maryborough will not want to spend every second weekend in Bendigo so they might as well toss it in as well.
All Bendigo teams will make the finals and everyone will be happy.

actually i now believe the riddell league is above them and perhaps they should look at joining the maryborough castlemaine league
the kitc add a one in front of your prediction and you may be close with the final margin

The old campaigner

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
malmsbury
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
hammers, packers
actually i now believe the riddell league is above them and perhaps they should look at joining the maryborough castlemaine league
the kitc add a one in front of your prediction and you may be close with the final margin
Kyneton stiff not to roll Square today. 5 goals down after 15 minutes, Redpath KOed before 1/2 time, Piccione sent off and just beaten by 8 points.
Capable of beating any team in the comp on their day IMO.
Jam that Dirk!

hilux98

Debutant
Aug 12, 2008
gunbower
AFL Club
Richmond
Great win for the Roos today, 8 goals for Downie, 4 for Maddern, West dominated the ruck contests and the Flat back line withstood everything South through at them with Brendan Hehir again leading the way. Grant Ford had a great game until cleaned up by Childs who will now have an appointment with the tribunal.

The handfull of South supporters at the game must have been devestated .

ha ha ha

Go Roos

The scoreboard said that Golden Square won, but it shouldn't have said that. Tigers were very good today and outgunned the Doggies. Redpath was on fire minutes before he left the field for good in the first half. Was dominating that second quarter with some strong marking and accurate kicking. He had no idea where he was at first, and didn't even know how many goals he had kicked when we asked him back in the rooms.

maineman

Debutant
May 11, 2009
Camp Reserve
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Castlemaine vs. Gisborne - 80 pts

Wow. I think the boys from Camp Reserve are in for a big flogging here. I don't think they can match Gizzy in any area, and given they are coming off a disappointing first lost, I expect the boys from Gardiner Reserve to dish out a fair belting here. I have been kind with the margin, I think it could get very nasty...

Like some sauce on those words? :p

Yes the Maine did get up in a close one. Funny sort of game with a big delay for an ambulance.

Castlemaine led all day and were headed in the last quarter and you would have thought were gone, but managed to scramble the last 2 goals to regain the lead.

Gisborne very inaccurate and Luke Saunders did not play.

Huge boost for Castlemaine coming into the 150th celebration weekend next week but I can't help but feel like it is just a band-aid on an open wound.

Good to have a win though as it was starting to look like the lowest point in the clubs history. Hopefully the second half of the 150th year can be a little better.

Number 1

Rookie
Jun 27, 2008
Yandoit
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Like some sauce on those words? :p

Yes the Maine did get up in a close one. Funny sort of game with a big delay for an ambulance.

Castlemaine led all day and were headed in the last quarter and you would have thought were gone, but managed to scramble the last 2 goals to regain the league.

Gisborne very inaccurate and Luke Saunders did not play.

Huge boost for Castlemaine coming into the 150th celebration weekend next week but I can't help but feel like it is just a band-aid on an open wound.

Good to have a win though as it was starting to look like the lowest point in the clubs history. Hopefully the second half of the 150th year can be a little better.

Astonishing result yesterday. Castlemaine were terrific. Im sure the Gisborne supporters will get on here and say they didnt have Potter, Saunders and their coach Elliot however Castlemaine were without Scott Sellars, Captain Jimmy O'Brien and didnt have the underated Adam Culvenor for the 2nd half.
To lead most of the day and to be headed with only 18 fit people on the ground as Culvenor and Polglaise and Sean Smith to a sickening injury you must give credit to the boys.
On Sean Smith for those who havent heard he went down with a broken leg similar to Nathan Brown a few years ago. The Ambulance had just left the camp with a Gisborne player that had been concussed and come back with that player still in the back of the ambo. The whisper is the game was 2 mins away from been called off as they had to wait for another ambo. A strange result to a strange day. Game nearly finished in darkness.
Hopefully this might kick start them as the morale seemed very low. The worst thing for them to do is to lose next week and make this result look like a fluke.

davis 24

Senior List
Jan 25, 2007
K Town
AFL Club
St Kilda
The scoreboard said that Golden Square won, but it shouldn't have said that. Tigers were very good today and outgunned the Doggies. Redpath was on fire minutes before he left the field for good in the first half. Was dominating that second quarter with some strong marking and accurate kicking. He had no idea where he was at first, and didn't even know how many goals he had kicked when we asked him back in the rooms.

I have criticised field numbers on here before, but i must say yesterdays umpires were the best kyneton has had in at least 2 years.
But still Kyneton have had the game taken away from them because of a umpire A EFFING IMMATURE BOUNDARY UMPIRE, who decided he would blow his whistle 5 mins after a fight and run to the field open and decide he would send someone off. That someone was Leigh Picioanne who had been Kynetons best for the whole game and was getting niggled at and cheap shotted al day.

But still a great effort by the Kyneton boysnd had either of Jack Redpath not got injured before half time after he had already kicked 3 goals and set 2 up or Picioanne not been sent off Kyneton would of won the game i guarntee.

And what a great turn out for the football club function last night with easy beyond 100 people there the biggest turn out in years..

The fatman

Debutant
Mar 13, 2007
kyneton
AFL Club
West Coast
Thanks Dirk you prove again your idea of football is un questioned. The riddell league is well beyond Kyneton. I as the president of Kyneton have looked on here all the time to see were i can steer my committee to a league you think we are going to have a chance.
i see by your previous post that you not only take an intrest in our football club and what were up to but you are also worried about a team of E grade crickets challenging Tylden. Maybe you would be better of commenting on shi#ful cricket that no one knows who even won the flag.
I have been disappointed that you have not been able to come and identify yourself to anyone at Kyneton yet. Dirk its weak people like you who hide behind a name and have pot shot at anyone that is having a go.
I would not expect that you would say that an Riddell side would get within 8 points of Golden Square. We will go to Gisborne and have a red hot go this week and see what happens. We know what we want to do and we know its not going to be all straight sailing but if you ask most of the teams we have improved on last year. That was our aim for the year and to get game time into our younger players. Due to players leaving and sub standard pre season we are looking towards signing players now for next year to have a real crack. Lets bring on the second half of the season and look forward to next year. We have alot of holes to fill still but they seem to be smaller than previous years.
Dirk any Riddell side looking for an easy win should ring early to get a practice match for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back