What's happening in the Bendigo Football League #3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking with an official at Strath Storm (which isnt spoken of much here), it looks like they have maintained their B&F top 10 and in good discussions with ex pioneers. Wicks and Marr the only departures of note.

Can anyone confirm where the wayne kerr, mr stormy, tim wicks is actually playing.

My understanding is that Tim has sought a clearance back to his former club Nth Wangaratta.

Irrespective of your opinion of Tim, he rates highly as a clubman in my opinion, doing more for our club in one the season that he was here, than what most blokes would do over their entire career...

Have heard that one of the Cummings boys may be heading up the Calder to the sworn enemy Bob, cannot confirm however.
Would be a big loss IMO.

Confirmed.

Hasn't been a bad couple of weeks of late recruiting from the Maine, may avoid complete embarassment this year and be just a fraction below where they were last year.

not so worried about cummings wot about all the ess d.f.l. recruits mentioned on here well before xmas some key talls mentioned along with midfldrs. and flankers

sum up to date info pls darryl

Seems very likely that Castlemaine will lose quite a few 2's players from last year which will hurt their depth.

I know that their best player from last season has decided to move on in search of senior opportunities.

Seems very likely that Castlemaine will lose quite a few 2's players from last year which will hurt their depth.

I know that their best player from last season has decided to move on in search of senior opportunities.

I had heard an unconfirmed rumour that the runaway B&F winner from the seconds was considering moving on.

Would be a really disappointing outcome, if true, as he has a lot of potential and could well be a very good senior player with the right opportunities.

He does have a strong family connection at the club though?

Hopefully Castlemaine may be able to find a little more money and entice him to stay.

Who are the other 2's players leaving?

Also has a strong family connection with an MCDFL side where his father is a club legend.

I am not 100% on the others leaving but I heard at least 3 more of the better players from last year are moving on.

That would be a real shame, particularly as this is the year when he would really get some opportunities to cement a senior position.

Speaking of those departing the maine, Hayden Polglase to Marong.

That would be a real shame, particularly as this is the year when he would really get some opportunities to cement a senior position.

Speaking of those departing the maine, Hayden Polglase to Marong.

Have been observing the Castlemaine saga for a fair while now and I thought it was time to weigh in the debate.

Having talked to a few people around the club there seems to be a fair bit of friction going on within. Players been recruited for dollars they are clearly not worth. I Know McMurtrie has been signed from Harcourt and he would be lucky to break into any other BFL Club. Why? Because he is not good enough.

Same with Matt Culvenor. Stupid amounts of cash been thrown at him when he struggles at best at Newstead. Has plenty of potential but there is no way you should be throwing cash at a 17 year old kid.

Have heard a nasty rumour that Craig Browne-Kerr is on his way to Castlemaine to play senior footy. For god sake this bloke was over the hill in the MCDFL 5 years ago let alone in the BFL.

I have read with interest on this forum and the MCDFL forum regarding the Daniel Christmas saga. Good player but if the bloke wants to go back to his home club, let him go. Unless he kick 70+ goals this year, the cash I believe he has been offered would not be worth it. Plus all of the other things outside the football club I am led to believe, he is feeding off both clubs.

As for some of these 2s playing leaving Castlemaine, I say good on them. For too long the local lads who have played most of their footy there have been shafted from what I have been told. They dont ask for money, just to be treated with a bit of respect when it comes to selection etc but continiually get bent over for these blokes who only want the cash. Sure they might be only 2s players but most are the backbone of the footy club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mcmurtrie played ones at square when he was there a few years ago, not sure how much he has improved since then but I think he'd be reasonably handy for them.

Interesting thoughts, Number1.

So what do you think needs to happen to get the club moving again?

Im not here to bag anyone but clearly there is a massive problem in the district of Castlemaine.

Having watched and listened to people talk about Castlemaine and all of the MCDFL clubs there is clearly angst between the MCDFL and the BFL club(s).

1st of all Castlemaine should benefit from all of the gun kids around the district. The MCDFL clubs should be encouraging any kids that have talent to move into Castlemaine to give them the best opportunity of moving to TAC Cup etc. Whether they receive better coaching is always debateable but playing against good underage teams can only benefit a kid. I dont believe this is the case with the MCDFL clubs forking out cash to keep these kids at their clubs. Most of these kids will return if they dont like it in Castlemaine but the "us vs them" mentality needs to go.

Castlemaine have been their own worst enemy I believe in slagging off the MCDFL competition. They have a great opportunity to work in partnership with a couple of MCDFL clubs. The MCDFL be the feeder clubs and possible share resources etc. Not only can it help the kids but I think the clubs involved would strongly benefit from it and a great relationship be struck.
I think Castlemaine would have to instigate this but I think it could work.

From what I'm led to believe their is a massive click at Castlemaine hence why some of the fringe/2s players are departing. This is not something that has occured overnight but decades. Why would anyone want to stay a clicky club. I for sure wouldnt and it only can create great tension within a club. The reputation about the club is terrible. You only have to list past indiscretions from what I have heard from people that are either highly paid or have leadership roles. Doesnt create a great image for the club.

Maineman, this is all heresay as Im not involved in the club but do have some connections. From what I'm led to believe they will struggle to get a 2s side up this year. A thorough cleanout is what is needed. Personally I dont think Castlemaine will be in the BFL within 10 years. The VCFL I believe should look restructuring a competition that could perhaps include Castlemaine, Maryborough, Kyneton, Daylesford, Hepburn etc. This smaller towns cannot compete with the Bendigo clubs in the future.

Maineman, this is all heresay as Im not involved in the club but do have some connections. From what I'm led to believe they will struggle to get a 2s side up this year. A thorough cleanout is what is needed. Personally I dont think Castlemaine will be in the BFL within 10 years. The VCFL I believe should look restructuring a competition that could perhaps include Castlemaine, Maryborough, Kyneton, Daylesford, Hepburn etc. This smaller towns cannot compete with the Bendigo clubs in the future.[/quote]

There are plenty of smaller places than Castlemaine that can recruit and compete with larger towns.
What is happening at present is a cycle that usually lasts 4-6 years and then someone sticks there hand up and does something about it.
I agree with the thoughts of recruiting the best juniors but when you look at what has happened so far the club was too slow in appointing a coach. Hence slow recruiting and possibly chasing blokes that wouldnt be first choices in October and Nov if you had the time.

You must be getting a commission JimmyL should this young fella who dominated the BFL 2's last year gets a few senior games somewhere - or is this a different bloke to the one you mentioned on the HDFL thread yesty

Im not here to bag anyone but clearly there is a massive problem in the district of Castlemaine.

Having watched and listened to people talk about Castlemaine and all of the MCDFL clubs there is clearly angst between the MCDFL and the BFL club(s).

1st of all Castlemaine should benefit from all of the gun kids around the district. The MCDFL clubs should be encouraging any kids that have talent to move into Castlemaine to give them the best opportunity of moving to TAC Cup etc. Whether they receive better coaching is always debateable but playing against good underage teams can only benefit a kid. I dont believe this is the case with the MCDFL clubs forking out cash to keep these kids at their clubs. Most of these kids will return if they dont like it in Castlemaine but the "us vs them" mentality needs to go.

Castlemaine have been their own worst enemy I believe in slagging off the MCDFL competition. They have a great opportunity to work in partnership with a couple of MCDFL clubs. The MCDFL be the feeder clubs and possible share resources etc. Not only can it help the kids but I think the clubs involved would strongly benefit from it and a great relationship be struck.
I think Castlemaine would have to instigate this but I think it could work.

From what I'm led to believe their is a massive click at Castlemaine hence why some of the fringe/2s players are departing. This is not something that has occured overnight but decades. Why would anyone want to stay a clicky club. I for sure wouldnt and it only can create great tension within a club. The reputation about the club is terrible. You only have to list past indiscretions from what I have heard from people that are either highly paid or have leadership roles. Doesnt create a great image for the club.

Maineman, this is all heresay as Im not involved in the club but do have some connections. From what I'm led to believe they will struggle to get a 2s side up this year. A thorough cleanout is what is needed. Personally I dont think Castlemaine will be in the BFL within 10 years. The VCFL I believe should look restructuring a competition that could perhaps include Castlemaine, Maryborough, Kyneton, Daylesford, Hepburn etc. This smaller towns cannot compete with the Bendigo clubs in the future.

Interesting thoughts, Number1. I know you said you are not involved in the club but you seem to have a large amount of knowledge and passion so I think you might be telling fibs there.

From my experience I think the MCDFL stuff is a myth. I don't think Castlemaine pay much attention to the MCDFL clubs at all to be honest, and I certainly don't think there is any negativity towards them. Senior players like O'Brien (Captain), Christmas, Culvenor, Conn, Brown, last year's reserves coach, now senior assistant coach, the ex-President and the footy manager all have histories with the MCDFL so I really don't think there is a problem there.

It is only natural for clubs to get a little prickly when players move between them and I'm sure MCDFL clubs do when their players come in, just as Castlemaine do when a club like Campbells Creek throw plenty of money at some younger players like they have this year, but that is all part of the cut and thrust of country footy.

As for your other point I am not sure what the indescretions are that you refer to? I agree the seconds are a problem but I see it as being mainly that the better seconds players are almost always lured to other leagues where they can play senior footy for money.

I think the appointment of Len Watson as seconds coach again this year will be a good move in regenerating the seconds as he is great with the young blokes and will build a team.

There are plenty of smaller places than Castlemaine that can recruit and compete with larger towns.
What is happening at present is a cycle that usually lasts 4-6 years and then someone sticks there hand up and does something about it.
I agree with the thoughts of recruiting the best juniors but when you look at what has happened so far the club was too slow in appointing a coach. Hence slow recruiting and possibly chasing blokes that wouldnt be first choices in October and Nov if you had the time.

Small correction, Big A. The club had a real problem finding someone to take the Senior role which is probably a fair indication of where things are at. The end result is the same though, and you are right, it has put the club behind the eight ball from day 1.

Pretty sure he only played one game and don't think he even played all of it so i would hardly say he's a BFL ones player you big blonde hair freak!

Pinnacle, guarantee he played more than one game! He was a freak junior player, I'm more than happy to eat my words however providing he is fit I think he'll be handy for the Maine.

Pinnacle, guarantee he played more than one game! He was a freak junior player, I'm more than happy to eat my words however providing he is fit I think he'll be handy for the Maine.

Nah i think pinnancle is spot on. Played one game when square really struggled, he used to be hard as nails but his skills were deplorable.

Interesting thoughts, Number1. I know you said you are not involved in the club but you seem to have a large amount of knowledge and passion so I think you might be telling fibs there.

From my experience I think the MCDFL stuff is a myth. I don't think Castlemaine pay much attention to the MCDFL clubs at all to be honest, and I certainly don't think there is any negativity towards them. Senior players like O'Brien (Captain), Christmas, Culvenor, Conn, Brown, last year's reserves coach, now senior assistant coach, the ex-President and the footy manager all have histories with the MCDFL so I really don't think there is a problem there.

It is only natural for clubs to get a little prickly when players move between them and I'm sure MCDFL clubs do when their players come in, just as Castlemaine do when a club like Campbells Creek throw plenty of money at some younger players like they have this year, but that is all part of the cut and thrust of country footy.

As for your other point I am not sure what the indescretions are that you refer to? I agree the seconds are a problem but I see it as being mainly that the better seconds players are almost always lured to other leagues where they can play senior footy for money.

I think the appointment of Len Watson as seconds coach again this year will be a good move in regenerating the seconds as he is great with the young blokes and will build a team.

Small correction, Big A. The club had a real problem finding someone to take the Senior role which is probably a fair indication of where things are at. The end result is the same though, and you are right, it has put the club behind the eight ball from day 1.

I can guarentee you Maineman Im not affiliated with the club, I watch all home games but I tend to visit the MCDFL when Castlemaine play away.

A lot of spiel is based on what people say within the club. I dont know what goes on in the club, but I have heard that there is a "us vs MCDFL" mentality that MCDFL footy is crap. There is some crap games in the MCDFL no doubt, but the Newsteads, Carisbrooks, Dunolly, Avoca had some great games, some I was fortunate enought to watch and let me tell you the standard of those games is not that far behind the BFL. Sure the bottom 6 players are ordinary but those top 16 can carry them guys through in that league.

I think the whole town knows of these indescritions, it is pretty common knowledge. I wont name names but I think the Senior people in the club have a lot to answer for regarding this. Destroying facilities and alike at club functions etc is not a great culture for the youth of today to come into.

I wasnt aware that Len Watson had been appointed the reserves coach, but I think that is a good move on the clubs behalf.

The reserves dilemma is a massive problem. You mention that a lot of players in the past have gone to other clubs to play seniors and for money. Can you name them because I see very few in the MCDFL.
Sources tell me a lot are fed up of been treated like 2nd class citizens. Blokes coming in for the cash and treated like royalty while the mainstays get a raw deal.

Again Maineman, Im just a supporter of the club who relies on sources with information and then I formulate my own opinions. I wish you well for the season.

Mcmurtrie played ones at square when he was there a few years ago, not sure how much he has improved since then but I think he'd be reasonably handy for them.

I saw McMurtrie play 3-4 games last year and he was ok at best at Harcourt. I think in the BFL, whilst he is a hard nut, his lack of ability on his left side will hurt him. Forward pocket at best to replace Sean Smith, although for some reason Paul Eyles rates him highly. I must watch different games.

i beleve numero uno (No. 1) is spot on maine man some significant damage was done to club property including valuable historical team photo's a cuppla years back drunken goings on those would be indiscretions i rec kon :thumbsdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back