Media What's in a name?

Remove this Banner Ad

As the league continues to digest the vote on not expanding the league, I think it's important to discuss one factor of the failed bids. This factor also plays a part in several of the other teams in the competition.
And that's the Americanisation of the team names and locations.

They say the first bite of your meal is with your eyes, meaning the first appearance can mean a lot going forward. The first look we got of the the two expansion bids we got were the names.
Say it as many times as they want, but the Death Valley Serpents does nothing but conjurn thoughts of the middle of America and an snake from that same country. The less said about the Pennsivaynia Vampires the better, but you certainly get the idea. I'm certainly not saying the name would have made a difference to the bids, but a more fictional or Australian located space would not have harmed their chances.

Which leads us into the 12 teams currently in the league.
25% of the league has no defined location in their team name with the Furies, Dragons, Roys and Gumbies all leaving their location up to those who can be bothered reading @mobb 's map or looking where their home ground it.
3 further teams have ambigious locations with the East Side, West Coast and Gold City. Although the argument could be made the Hawk's East Side is based from the Americanised use of the location.
We obviously have Baghdad and truthfully, let's be thankful we can imagine that they can be that far away from us.
Then we have reigning Runner's Up the Mount Buller Demon's - the only team that 100% can be tied back to being based in Australia. Which is perfectly fine as this is a fantasy based competition.

Finally, we have the three teams that call themselves at home in America. The Coney Island Warriors, Las Vegas Bears and the Sin City Swamprats. Now, the Swamprats is 100% on me. I called for a vote on a new name when we decided to move away from Alberton and this was the winner. I wasn't a personal fan, but it was the choice, so I stuck by it. Perhaps there's a lesson here for someone?
As for Coney Island and Las Vegas - two is plenty and I certainly have no problems with this. But if the expansion did get up - more than a third of the cometition would have been based in America. Now, in 2020, do you want to be attached to that place?

So, what is the point of all those words. Firstly, when the expansion bids happen again - think outside of America. And secondly, I think it's time the Swamprats left Sin City.

I've always seen the Sin City name to represent Sydney, more than Vegas. It came about because when the Swamprats were diversifying and recruiting non-Port posters, a couple of the early successes were Swans supporters, Millky95 & Kennedy Parker (Close Contest back then).
But it was S19, I was asked to vote but was barely involved.

Honestly expansion sides should be angling for ambiguous names like East Side or Gold City. It's not confusing for outsiders nor is it completely ignoring the lore. I feel like 'Death Valley' could have been worked into the Sweet map but imagine poor Mobbs having to designate an area of his map 'Pennsylvania'.

I've always seen the Sin City name to represent Sydney, more than Vegas. It came about because when the Swamprats were diversifying and recruiting non-Port posters, a couple of the early successes were Swans supporters, Millky95 & Kennedy Parker (Close Contest back then).
You were at the Rats at the time.

To the outside it screams Las Vegas.

Yes, the American Americans should be the next expansion team 🇺🇲

46suQiT.jpg

Even outside the SFA as someone living in Sydney I would not ever think to associate it with 'Sin City'.

Not to mention the Swamprats and Bears are considered 'cross-town' rivals.

Not to mention the Swamprats and Bears are considered 'cross-town' rivals.

The Bears were is disbelief and annoyed that those Swamprat campaigners literally stole our name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coney Island, Death Valley, Las Vegas are at least notable places or sound cool.

Pennsylvania is a s**t name because it's not even an interesting place, the first thing that comes to mind when I think Pennsylvania is the Amish, like yes Philadelphia and Pittsburgh exist (not that those are good team names either) but you're clearly not associated with either of them if the team name is Pennsylvania.

the first thing that comes to mind when I think Pennsylvania is the Amish

Haha yup, exactly what I said when they announced the team. Clearly going for the word association with Transylvania but it came out so lame.

Coney Island, Death Valley, Las Vegas are at least notable places or sound cool.

Pennsylvania is a sh*t name because it's not even an interesting place, the first thing that comes to mind when I think Pennsylvania is the Amish, like yes Philadelphia and Pittsburgh exist (not that those are good team names either) but you're clearly not associated with either of them if the team name is Pennsylvania.
I'd like the Vampires to have been based in Mexico and played their home games the T**ty Twister - or just ditched a location and gone with something like the Bloodlusting Vampires.

Haha yup, exactly what I said when they announced the team. Clearly going for the word association with Transylvania but it came out so lame.
The novelty factor wears off very quickly, really doesn't work for something that is meant to last for years to come.

I'd like the Vampires to have been based in Mexico and played their home games the T**ty Twister - or just ditched a location and gone with something like the Bloodlusting Vampires.

Honestly that sounds lame.

The last 2 expansion teams were either a rebooted club or a rebooted bid, ie even though they were new teams in the comp they had some history.

So let's just reboot Team Kournikova and the Dingoes.

25% of the league has no defined location in their team name with the Furies, Dragons, Roys and Gumbies all leaving their location up to those who can be bothered reading @mobb 's map.
12 teams.

Claims 25% and names 4 teams.

Apparently 4 is 25% of 12, therefore 8 is 50% of 12. Who knew?

The last 2 expansion teams were either a rebooted club or a rebooted bid, ie even though they were new teams in the comp they had some history.

So let's just reboot Team Kournikova and the Dingoes.

Honestly that sounds lame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back