What's needed to keep us ahead of the pack?

Remove this Banner Ad

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
A few interesting things to come out after the GF win

Firstly, Dimma said that our game plan is bloody difficult to maintain.

Secondly, he didn't want Prestia playing negative on Sloane (sent Graham to do the job)

Third, Jacob Townsend performed a lock down role on the best intercept marking backman for 5 games, won the matchups and kicked goals.

So, with a high intensity, pressure game, with an excellent defensive press, where does our improvement come from next year? I was super impressed by our forwards to split and separate opposition defenders, not allowing them to double and triple team our forwards allowing for easy intercepts, also adding confusion by giving Dusty, Townsend, Jack etc space to move and caplitalise.

That's only three examples of how we dismantled the opposition, there are many more. I know that a second tall is needed forward and personally think that Callum Moore can progress and fill this position.

Something I saw in the prelim made me think of our drafting strategy, we have been targeting speed and inside mids, but watching how Tomlinson played made me realise that a couple of wingers that can play KPF/KPD would make us a ship load harder to deal with, ie: Brander, Balta via draft.

thoughts....

I really hope they dont reinvent the wheel and make big changes our game plan.

All clubs will try to work out what we do so some minor tweeks and improvements are needed, i loved how we played in 2017 and hope we can continue our pressure and fast ball movement.

Unlike the Dogs I don’t think we got lucky because of the way we played. The same cattle pretty much got us to finals in 2013-15 but didn’t take the step forward like this year. I think we haven’t even played our best football yet as the players develop chemistry and confidence. We’ll be very hard to beat in 2018z

I think attitude will be the key, can we come back hungry enough. I am not sure we need anything extra for 2018.

Leigh Matthews said he gave his Brisbane sides until the following thursday to enjoy the premiership wins ... 6 days ... then it was down to business.

Winning premierships was their job, like the bonus you get from work when you do good work, winning every premiership was their job ... you enjoyed your week off, head down ass up time to focus.

After 37 years that's not likely to happen but it will be important how quickly they settle when they return.

Our game plan smothers players and teams so the quality and skills of individual players can't be shown. We crushed everyone in the finals because we wore them down and never let any of them breathe. As the plan does not revolve around our players having the greater skills there is no reason why it should not work again in 2018 ... if we want it bad enough.

I think the AFL will have to reduce rotations or superfit sides like us and the dogs last year are going to overwhelm the GWS's, Sydney's and Geelongs who are full of talent.

Injecting a couple of better skilled players that can also do the pressure stuff would be great. That would allow us to switch to a less taxing gameplan reliant on accurate disposals whenever we get too tired to put a lot of pressure on the opposition.

I inagine that bringing in talls would help us be more efficient in our forward 50 entries too.

I would like to see the defensive game plan stay largely the same. Teams could study it and find ways to break it down, but I think with the heat we brought into the finals it's easier said than done. It's also likely internally we know how the game plan can be exploited, so having a suitable plan B is important.

Offensively, I'd like to see if we can innovate a little. At times we kicked some really low scores and ball movement inside 50 was poor. As the season went on our goal kicking became a lot more accurate, so the problem went away, but would be nice for us to find some ways that we can attack that teams won't be ready for.

We also have a really young core of players, with ready replacements being developed. Whilst Houli is a gun, we have a glut of half back flankers ready to get a senior spot, and the same can be said for many other of our older players. So the key ones to replace are Rance, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Martin- easier said than done. But if we can unearth a gun defender, gun forward and two midfielders we can keep being successful

Our kids need to keep improving in other areas not just pressure. Rioli, Butler and Castagna/Bolton need to become more dangerous. Kmac, Vlastuin, Ellis and Graham need to become more consistent and not rely on Cotchin/Dusty/Grigg/Prestia to do the heavy lifting in terms of possessions.

Edwards staying injury free and playing like this final series would be fantastic too.

CEllis and Menadue especially breaking into the side using their superior skills (but improvement across the board) to maintain possession with the same attacking intent.

A second tall forward... whether we need it in finals is an interesting argument but if Griff plays this season we probably win 2-3 more games, we can't play like we did in finals all year.

Goal kicking! Simple we kick straight along with our pressure makes teams buckle.

not much we need to do atm considering how far ahead we are just more of the same
This is probably the worst attitude the team could take. It's totally complacent to think in the professional game that you don't need to find ways to get better.

They need to find a way to make winning H&A matches a little less physically taxing by not having to rely on the extreme defensive pressure. To assist with this, I'd personally like to see them get the second tall forward into the team who can also back up the first ruckman. This creates the extra marking option up forward to allow us to win a few more of those contests we're asking Riewoldt, Caddy & Townsend to halve and helps reduce the amount of time that extreme forward pressure needs to be applied.

In addition to this, I'd expect natural improvement to occur in most players under 26-27 years old, which is a big part of the team, so that will help. One of the biggest drivers in getting better will be the pressure on guys to keep their spot ahead of blokes playing in the twos who are getting better.

This is probably the worst attitude the team could take. It's totally complacent to think in the professional game that you don't need to find ways to get better.

They need to find a way to make winning H&A matches a little less physically taxing by not having to rely on the extreme defensive pressure. To assist with this, I'd personally like to see them get the second tall forward into the team who can also back up the first ruckman. This creates the extra marking option up forward to allow us to win a few more of those contests we're asking Riewoldt, Caddy & Townsend to halve and helps reduce the amount of time that extreme forward pressure needs to be applied.

In addition to this, I'd expect natural improvement to occur in most players under 26-27 years old, which is a big part of the team, so that will help. One of the biggest drivers in getting better will be the pressure on guys to keep their spot ahead of blokes playing in the twos who are getting better.
Fantastic post.

Our game plan is totally reliant on having more super fit, but reasonably talented players than other teams. So we have to keep building that.

I can see Balta fitting there for the draft.

We need a backup KPF/ruck. If they genuinely feel Griff is going to be OK then let him stay. Then don't trade for one and draft a young guy.

Just keep building on the squad in the same direction. Do not try to create a 'normal' team. GWS will kill us if we try to play that super smooth style. Get players that like the relentless physical game, but have some skill.

The mosquito fleet was born of necessity. Unorthodox, but it worked. I didn't think it would stand up in finals. It did, and it destroyed the other teams in the top 4. In the past, we have seen pagan's paddock, forward presses, flooding and pinpoint disposal. These are tactics that can be reverse engineered and broken down. Break the structure, and you break the team. What we did this year, was emphasize on manic pressure, tackling and old fashioned gut running. None of those employed one overbearing tactic. I would argue that you cannot watch the 3 finals we played in and break it down to use a counter tactic. Adelaide were supremely confident with their tall forward line and pinpoint footskills. Easy to counter with pressure. GWS have the most talented and skillfull players. Easy to counter with pressure. Geelong had a 14 game winning streak. Easy to counter with pressure. Our success is due to the way we play, not who we play, or a playing style.

I'd be watching the trade and drafting closely, as a team may decide to copy our style, or recruit faster, fitter defenders. I think we can be matched with a fitter and stronger willed opposition. I can see more effort into player's attitudes and cohesion. Our attitude was exemplary, whereas Crows just thought it would happen, and when it didn't they fell apart.

I think that with another good run with no injuries, and several players with full pre seasons, we will definitely be deep into finals. No need to change too much except add a tall to the forward line. I would throw the kitchen sink at Lynch and then develop within. Best of luck to sides that will ever match out pressure and attitude. God forbid, if we kick straight next year - watch out !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i reckon 80% of it will be above the shoulders, our game plan is mostly a mindset.

in saying that, we do need to make a few small adjustments or else the rest will catch up

Not too much. We’ve been playing our way since mid year it’s not like it’s a surprise. Just need some support for Jack and Nank IMO. It’s not like clubs can change their lists to include speed like we have in one draft. Got another season of this style in us at least

The mosquito fleet was born of necessity. Unorthodox, but it worked.

Need to remember that Rioli, Butler and Castagna all played from round 1 so we were always going to have multiple quick smalls in our forward line from the get go.

I dont think we have to do anything. Hows the gameplan difficult to maintain?
Tackle when you dont have the ball. Try and keep it when you have it...
We bombed forward and ran onto the ball alot. Not many clubs coped with this because it was almost old school footy.
People get infatuated with big tall guys all the time. They are a liability when the ball is on the ground.
Griffiths has had his chances, hampson is usless apart from tap ruck and marking. No good marking it and turning over ir missing aet shots though.
Think we continue to do the same. Be silly to change. We were dominant

Our kids need to keep improving in other areas not just pressure. Rioli, Butler and Castagna/Bolton need to become more dangerous. Kmac, Vlastuin, Ellis and Graham need to become more consistent and not rely on Cotchin/Dusty/Grigg/Prestia to do the heavy lifting in terms of possessions.

Edwards staying injury free and playing like this final series would be fantastic too.

CEllis and Menadue especially breaking into the side using their superior skills (but improvement across the board) to maintain possession with the same attacking intent.

A second tall forward... whether we need it in finals is an interesting argument but if Griff plays this season we probably win 2-3 more games, we can't play like we did in finals all year.

Goal kicking! Simple we kick straight along with our pressure makes teams buckle.

Was reading your comments with interest and then you stated if Griff plays we probably win 2- 3 more games. If he'd played we'd have lost 2 - 3 more games. Just because he's a tall does not make us better.
Griff is a soft player with very low stats that brings no intensity. If he comes back on a regular basis then we will go backwards. Talls have to contribute and be hard at the contest and the man. Griff has none of these attributes. Richmond advanced when we lost both our talls, Vickery traded out and Griff concussed. Best thing to happen to the RFC. Made us a better side when those 2 duds were gone. Tall or short you must bring intent.

Was reading your comments with interest and then you stated if Griff plays we probably win 2- 3 more games. If he'd played we'd have lost 2 - 3 more games. Just because he's a tall does not make us better.
Griff is a soft player with very low stats that brings no intensity. If he comes back on a regular basis then we will go backwards. Talls have to contribute and be hard at the contest and the man. Griff has none of these attributes. Richmond advanced when we lost both our talls, Vickery traded out and Griff concussed. Best thing to happen to the RFC. Made us a better side when those 2 duds were gone. Tall or short you must bring intent.

We can't play the home and away season like we did the finals, our players will be exhausted, nor can we ride Nank the way we have this season, he needs a break. An average tall who can pinch hit in the ruck, draws defenders away from Jack and gives the side a better bail out option helps us conserve energy week to week while getting wins on the board.

Don't forget we still played a 2nd tall forward for the majority of the year Soldo played 7 games, Elton 6 and Griff played 2. Griff plays those 15 games instead of Soldo or Elton we are a better side, marginally maybe, but no doubt we are better. Griff over Elton/Soldo vs Dogs, GWS or Freo and at least 1 maybe 2 or all 3 of those results reverse because he is a better player and in some ways we played those games with 21 players as Elton especially has no "intent". I would also concede that if Townsend plays we would reverse a few of those results, but he can't provide the ruck chop out that we need. As for losing games, if we win them with Soldo and Elton we still win them with Griff.

IMO the home and away season is all winning 15-16+ games to get us back into the top 4 then ramp up the pressure in finals. An okay tall like Griff would help us get those wins, the courage has to be for the coaching staff to remove them come finals when we get the two byes.

Just got to stay hungry and don't get complacent. Richmond are Premiers because they played and hunted as a team, if that drops off they drop off.
I'm not ready to get hungry yet. I'm enjoying being complacent. We smacked the top 4 by an average of 5 goals per final, so I reckon we could become a 4-goal worse team next year and still win the flag. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back