What's on your C.D. changer in the car at the moment?

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone brought up Hunters & Collectors earlier. I still drag out Human Frailty and WHat's a Few Men every now and again - 2 great albums from my youth :thumbsu:

Interestingly, I've heard a lot of people don't particularly like Mark Seymour, to the extent that this joke was doing the rounds recently.

Q. What's the difference between Hunters & Collectors and a Rhinoceros?
A. A Rhino has the horns up the front and the a-hole at the back.

Anyone got any background on that?

Found a new band that I'd never heard of and really like what I hear :thumbsu: Thanks guys :thumbsu:

(The Tragically Hip) ...

You're most welcome. While I hate to be "I like their old stuff better than their new stuff" guy, and The Hip definitely did great work throughout their peak years, the first album Up To Here is remarkably strong from start to finish, and a real iconic Canadian album.

Other Canadians worth looking up (apart from the obvious ones) would be Great Big Sea, Natalie MacMaster, Ron Sexsmith and Serena Ryder.

Orange Peanut - LOL! :D:thumbsu:

Not enough good stuff comes out of Canada - that I hear of, anyway. The only one's that sprung to mind for me were The Tea Party and Avril Lavigne. o_O

Not enough good stuff comes out of Canada - that I hear of, anyway. The only one's that sprung to mind for me were The Tea Party and Avril Lavigne. o_O

Not to mention the guy who is seen as the next Frank Sinatra, whats his name Mr Bubble, I mean buble. :)

Orange Peanut - LOL! :D:thumbsu:

Don't forget Avril's hubby and his wonderful band.

And the delightful Bryan Adams (despite the decades of pisstaking, Run To You is still a fave of mine!)

Oh god, me too. Sometimes there are actual sobs. I'd go so far to say that song is his masterpiece. FWIW, I find How To Make Gravy overwrought and overrated. I sometimes suspect I'm almost alone in that.

How to Make Gravy is a great song also IMO, Deeper Water, is just such a poignant song that it's on another level again. They Thought I Was Asleep is another in a similar vein, although there is a bit more mystery and the meaning is more open to interpretation than Deeper Water.

Oh yeah, spongebucket - I forgot about him! Actually, just doing a brief search - there's quite a few Canadian musicians, that I never knew were, well, Canadian: Bachman Turner Overdrive, Barenaked Ladies, Diana Krall, Paul Anka. And the ones I should have known: Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, kd Lang...

My apologies, people of the maple leaf. :rainbow:
stock-vector-stamp-with-name-of-canada-92129887.jpg

Canadians' have a great sense of humour, especially when it comes to the names of their bands:
buncho*******oofs, Les Breastfeeders, Corky and the Juice Pigs, Fake Shark - Real Zombie! (that one's for you, RobZombie), Godspeed You! Black Emperor, July Fourth Toilet...

"They should form a Canadian Supergroup called Ryder Great Big Sex Master".

I'm just loving that on so many levels. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top band. This thread is dangerous. Too many good bands not enough hours in the day.
DJ Dupree like the Korn throwback too. Love 'Freak on a Leash' and the album 'issues'

I played my 'Follow the leader' album so much, it almost burnt out.

Right now, I am rotating a bit of Karnivool, Fleetwood Mac, Van Halen, Ministry of Sound among others.

This time of year all the lists come out and I can't help but start listening to 2013 albums to work out what I rate where, so I've been listening to all that again. I think my top 10 would be:

The Drones - I See Seaweed
Kvelertak - Meir
Dawn Richard - Goldenheart
Neko Case - The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You
Pantha Du Prince - Elements of Light
The Villagers - Awayland
Cut Copy - Free Your Mind
Janelle Monae - The Electric Lady
Akron/Family - Sub Verses
Raashan Ahmad - Ceremony

There's also two cracking compilations coming up because they're tagged 2013 even though the songs are much older:

Personal Space (Electronic Soul 1974-1984)
Change the Beat: The Celluloid Records Story 1979-1987

On The Tragically Hip, I remember being completely taken with their song "Locked in the Trunk of A Car" back in the early 90s. Even borrowed the CD from Rent-A-Record at the Woden bus interchange and copied it on to a tape, but alas all those tapes are long gone.

And I don't believe my favourite current Canadian band have been mentioned yet - Metz. I think they're even touring at the moment, but it's not really Mrs M's cup of tea so we won't be seeing them.

I played my 'Follow the leader' album so much, it almost burnt out.

Right now, I am rotating a bit of Karnivool, Fleetwood Mac, Van Halen, Ministry of Sound among others.
Their early stuff was great. They fell pretty magnificantly after their first few albums

Thought I'd probably get that response, Gaso. :D

I have an iPod - listen to it when walking, exercising, etc. and a lot of the music on it is crap one-track-wonder Top 40 and dance stuff, but when I'm in the car I like to crank the C.D.'s. It feels more relevant somehow, when you're on a long drive through windy hills, to listen to an album in full. In fact, I even wish my car had a tape deck so I could get some of those oldies' playing - sound quality would probably be a bit dubious, though.
Agree!

I must have been in a quietly violent mood the other night because I found myself driving through dark streets listening to Aenima by Tool. You must listen to at least the first five songs on this album in order, in their entirety. They are all related.

Something that goes missing when it is just single after single on shuffle.

Polecat - you need a different iPod for each genre of music. :thumbsu:
Ha ha - you've seen my letter to Santa!
Actually have been investigating putting the whole collection into 'iCloud' so I can access any of my songs from any device at any time. But the fear of being found out for the odd illegal download I have (only one or two songs of course ;)) keeps me awake at night....

Just been for a lovely Saturday afternoon drive for fish 'n' chips and a lemon sorbet by the seaside; the perfect day to have the sunroof open and the tunes playing. And so it got me thinking, since I always like to have a sticky at other people's musical tastes, what is everyone listening to in their car at the moment?

I've got a bit of a stack I'm rotating through, but currently in my 6-disc changer is:
1. Steely Dan 'The Definitive Collection'
2. Steve Miller Band 'Young Hearts: Complete Greatest Hits'
3. Carole King 'Tapestry'
4. Triple J Hottest 100 Volume 14 (Disc 2)
5. Creedence Clearwater Revival 'Chronicle'
6. (The Very Best of) The Beach Boys 'Sounds of Summer'

Oh, and Mods', please feel free to relocate this to Lidge's Lounge if you feel it's more appropriate.

Sounds more like a vinyl collection. :p

Hey, they played Letterman!

Cool band. I like them a lot. Canadian friend put me on to the self-titled debut and have liked them ever since. And despite toiling away in obscurity at your end, five albums in (I have 3 of them), I reckon they have built a pretty decent profile, albeit in non-mainstream circles (obviously).

But, yeah, quality band.

Letterman, eh! Well whadayaknow. I guess it's been a few years. Good for them. A touch on the Dungeons and Dragons lyrically for mine, but they got a good sound together.

As far as (far) East Coast Canada bands go, they're a tad below Hey! Rosetta and Paper Lions (Maybe In Flight Safety too) for mine, but still the genuine article.

If I haven't thrown them your way before, Sloan are the best of the bunch as far as the "east of Montreal" brigade go. Here's a taste:

I'd go so far to say "best live band in Canada," with the proviso that there're plenty I haven't seen.

And ever better:

Well, there's a coincidence. The song they were pumping out of the PA before Huggies took the mic yesterday was "Deeper Water". And I was sitting there in the stands reflecting on just how bitchin' a song it was.

Love the story in "Other People's Houses", too. The guy is an absolute ****ing legend, and I hope they build a big-ass statue of him after their done building the Jack Ziebell one.

My favourite PK track changes with the seasons (there's so damn much to enjoy), but "Look So Fine, Feel So Low" always features heavily in calculations. And this one, which I find completely irresistible, right down to the slightly awkward, warm and fuzzy vibe of the clip. It's treacle, but a particularly delicious variety.

As far as (far) East Coast Canada bands go, they're a tad below Hey! Rosetta and Paper Lions (Maybe In Flight Safety too) for mine, but still the genuine article.

If I haven't thrown them your way before, Sloan are the best of the bunch as far as the "east of Montreal" brigade go.

Love them. Been pumping out top shelf power-pop-infused tunes since the early 90's, released 10 or so excellent albums (I'm guessing...I've got 5 of them), and I'd say barely known over here. Bit of a shame that, because they're pretty damn awesome.

(Dig the other two, also. Hey! Rosetta maybe the slightly lesser of the two, for me.)

Someone brought up Hunters & Collectors earlier. I still drag out Human Frailty and WHat's a Few Men every now and again - 2 great albums from my youth :thumbsu:

Interestingly, I've heard a lot of people don't particularly like Mark Seymour, to the extent that this joke was doing the rounds recently.

Q. What's the difference between Hunters & Collectors and a Rhinoceros?
A. A Rhino has the horns up the front and the a-hole at the back.

Anyone got any background on that?

Other than the generic rumour mill stuff about him being an ego maniac, I do have one interesting aside on this subject back from the Roosistence gig days. Don't really want to post it on here, so I'll shoot you a PM.

(Sorry all. Don't hate me. Actually you can if you want. Not really fussed.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back