Whats our weakest Line?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
We now have established or emerging stars all over the ground. So does that mean we have no weaknesses? No. But where are our strengths and weaknesses.

Defence: My take - With the return of Docherty, and the continued development of Weitering and Jones, we have 3 potential AA defenders right there. Plowman is gradually getting recognized for his efforts (3rd in Band F) . Simmo will continue his mercurial form this year IMO and SPS just looks primed for a big year in defence. There are literally no weaknesses there IMO. Others may see it differently - post your thoughts below.

defence.png

Midfield- Starting lineup : Probably the most contentious part of our setup. But its my stab at it. A centre line of Walsh , Cripps and Williamson has quality written all over it. If Tom is as good as he looked against the pies, he is a worthy member of the trio. Cripps will be AA this year and Walsh may very well join him. It will be fun to see Tom in action.
Kreuzer, Ed and Murph: What can I say- they showed their importance still in the back end of 2019. I dont expect any significant decline in 2020.

midfield.png

Forwards: Harry and Charlie have huge careers in front of them if they can get fit. On paper they are potential AA. Eddie looks to be re energised and could really surprise this year. A fit MM could be anything and I am expecting big things from him this year. Martin and Cuningham are the great unknowns. If they both take the next step then they both could really set the forward line on fire. And there lies the problem. The forward line is still full of ifs buts and maybes. Potentially our best line- but a lot of things have to fall into place.

forward.png

Bench/Mid rotation: A mix of 4 emerging mids: Setterfield, Fisher, Gibbons and LOB- all contribute something different and are starting their career. I could have gone with others: Dow, Kennedy, Newnes Stocker, Jack, Marchbank, Newman- all will see plenty of game time in 2020. Plenty of depth here. By the end of 2020 there will be at least 4 standouts from the group mentioned.

bench.png

The bench.

Have a reasonable starting. 18, it is always the bottom 6 players in the team that make the difference.

Given we have about 30 players capable of AFL level output (some still in that horrible potential phase) getting the bench mix right for the conditions, opposition and game day injuries is crucial to results going our way.

I'd argue we don't have a weakest line, but what we do have is poor transition between defensive fifty and forward fifty. This can largely be placed at the feet of the mids, as they are catered to producing clearances and contested footy rather than spread or quality of disposal.

We'll see this year. Got better ball users now, who are (hopefully) fit enough to go quick without stuffing it up.

Not concerned about any area short term as we have many young developing players (injuries to Curnow and McKay are a concern).

Medium term (next 2-3), unless one of BSOS or Macreadie start to come on, I would target a KPD. Same goes for a ruckman/forward, to replace Krooz and Levi, who can develop under TDK and Pittonet

The mids, because if a certain player goes down (and won’t mention his name) we’re pretty well stuffed.
I won't mention his name either, and I would certainly prefer him out on the park.
But, when he was out last year, we were not as "fragile" as I had expected. We had others step up and we had a memorable win.

Forward line/Midfield

Forward line - I don't feel like we have enough the forward synergy yet, need another season or 2 to clicked.

Midfield - If Cripps goes down, we might have an issue. Need another year or 2 for the next crop to be step up. Although I believe Murphy and Curnow will step up regardless to fill the void.

I won't mention his name either, and I would certainly prefer him out on the park.
But, when he was out last year, we were not as "fragile" as I had expected. We had others step up and we had a memorable win.

Yes it was a great win and everybody in particular our evergreens Murphy and Curnow stepped up - but are our younger mids able to step up for the course of an entire season to fill the breach yet - this remains to be seen.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forward atm seeing as Curnow is cooked for half the year and Mckay & Gov in not that good of nick atm

Great write up to start discussion therubbernub - like your squeezing Williamson in on a wing in order to avoid the Simpson V SPS V Newman V Williamson debate!

I think the answers are in the comments already - ex Cripps and or Kreuzer serious issues. We are still a developed A grade mid short of comfort.
Close second is forward line only because both Harry and Charlie are match winners - but neither can seem to get their bodies to right - huge issue( fingers crossed)

Great write up to start discussion therubbernub - like your squeezing Williamson in on a wing in order to avoid the Simpson V SPS V Newman V Williamson debate!

I think the answers are in the comments already - ex Cripps and or Kreuzer serious issues. We are still a developed A grade mid short of comfort.
Close second is forward line only because both Harry and Charlie are match winners - but neither can seem to get their bodies to right - huge issue( fingers crossed)
Love Willow but i would have LOB ahead of him on a wing, he's played twice as many games there and is ready.

For mine the midfield will sort itself out. We have plenty of developing youngsters coming through (stocker kemp honey philp ramsay) and I fully expect breakout years from 1-2 of Dow, LOB, SPS, Fish, Cuningham, setterfield etc. We will need this just to replace Ed, Murph who I expect have only about 2 years left.

Forward line will be a concern once eddie retires ( in 1-2 years). I am not ready to write off charlie and Harry- and this year at least we have the rapidly improving Levi to step in. And we have TDK developing nicely

For mine the midfield will sort itself out. We have plenty of developing youngsters coming through (stocker kemp honey philp ramsay) and I fully expect breakout years from 1-2 of Dow, LOB, SPS, Fish, Cuningham, setterfield etc. We will need this just to replace Ed, Murph who I expect have only about 2 years left.

Forward line will be a concern once eddie retires ( in 1-2 years). I am not ready to write off charlie and Harry- and this year at least we have the rapidly improving Levi to step in. And we have TDK developing nicely

I think we have enough talent to be competitive against anyone but without Harry|Charlie - ability top score easily goes down a couple of notches - so I see us as a middling side and unlikely to appear in finals - until that is fixed. Cripps |Ed |Kreuzer| Murph are a class above anyone else on the list atm as far as midfield goes. It is up to Dow/Fisher/SPS/Setterfield to show what they've really got week in week out -I do have high hopes for Stocker/Kemp - but they are both a year or two away from impacting.

Another genuine ruck.

Take Krooz out and we are bush league.
Thought Pittonet showed enough to suggest that he would be competitive against the better ruckmen in the comp and would stay involved. A better backup than Philips who a part from being good in the centre bounces and taking the occasional big mark did very little. He had a remarkable knack of hitting boundary throw ins to the opposition in damaging spots.

The mids, because if a certain player goes down (and won’t mention his name) we’re pretty well stuffed.
Let's just call him Paddy C.

No wait, wait, that's too obvious. Let's just call him P Cripps.

First off we now have a strong list but it is still young.
We still have a few areas of would like to be stronger in.
I'd love a quick small defender and a quick small goal kicking forward.
Which is why Papley was the number one target in trade period but Swans rightfully for their own list were not willing to let him go.
But both those areas could still have a young player that has not established that role is theirs to make for this decade and already be on our list.
But the fact I can see this means these areas can still be made stronger on our list.
Reality is , I've never been happier with our list since mid 1990's.
I pray the current list management team continue to keep making it stronger each year which has happened each off season since end of 2015.
I'll never be content to have a list to be a contender or win a flag. I want our list to be clearly best in league and then players and coaches win lots of premierships.

I think we have enough talent to be competitive against anyone but without Harry|Charlie - ability top score easily goes down a couple of notches - so I see us as a middling side and unlikely to appear in finals - until that is fixed. Cripps |Ed |Kreuzer| Murph are a class above anyone else on the list atm as far as midfield goes. It is up to Dow/Fisher/SPS/Setterfield to show what they've really got week in week out -I do have high hopes for Stocker/Kemp - but they are both a year or two away from impacting.

Yes but if you take 2 players as good as Harry and Charlie out of any forward line, that club will not play finals either. And no club can afford to have "spare" high quality players to come in and replace them. We have Levi - which based on 2019 form is the next best thing. Most other clubs will have a young forward in the wings developing and they may or may not make and impact- we have TDK. It would seem that Harry will be playing round 1 based on various reports, so we are really talking about Charlie IMO. Hopefully Charlie doesnt "slip up" again.

I agree the young mids need to really breakout this year to add to our Locks: Cripps, Walsh, Ed, Murph. There are real promising signs by all reports coming from Setterfield and if that does eventuate this year, then that takes the pressure off short term- until Murph retires- say in 2 years. It looks like DT wants SPS to play back this year so maybe he is off the table as a fulltime mid. That leaves Dow, Fisher , LOB, Cuningham, gibbons Kennedy of the second tier. Then we have the new recruits including Stocker , Honey, Philps, Kemp , Ramsay. For once it looks as though we have enough development coming through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back