What's the best case scenario for 2023?

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Season from hell over...our worst season I believe? Obviously cruelled by injuries, the little spiky ball, leading to a lack of...synergy. It seems it's mostly doom and gloom: reliance on an aging list, lack of promising youth. Most agree we're starting a rebuild... But a year is a long time in footy too. I can't see a way we can contend for another year, so I guess it's best to maybe shake up our gameplan and develop our younger players. What do you think is the best case scenario? I think if we finish say, above 13th and show improvement, especially youngsters, I'll be happy. The oldies can hopefully help us not stay near the bottom at least. But we'll see...

OldBlueEagle

Debutant
Apr 17, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
A+ = Flag
A = top 4
A- = top 6
B+ = top 8
B or B- = 8 to 10 wins
C = 6 to 8 wins
F = <6 wins

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
We win the flag.
Darling wins the Coleman.
5+ AAs
Kelly wins the Brownlow.
Chesser Rising Star.
Beagles win the WAFL premiership.
Women Eagles win the AFLW premiership.
Simpson is knighted.
Nisbett is given the keys to the city.
Masten is inducted into the hall of fame.
Optus Stadium is awarded the GF for the next 40 years.

Sep 10, 2000
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WEST COAST
I learned back in 2000 not to make calls about the next year quite so soon :D

Goroyals22

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
I learned back in 2000 not to make calls about the next year quite so soon :D

Now that threads a read.. people wrapping up Richard Taylor, Michael Prior. Sierra as a fullback? And greg harding….

also bagging John Wooden who still was on the list 5 years later and hoping we drafted Andrew McDOuggall. Good grief.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
I genuinely don’t see us finishing higher than 10th. I wouldn’t mind us finish low on the ladder again but I don’t want to see another year where we are terrible and haven’t discovered any players within our list. Apart from glimpses here and there we haven’t had kids that have come out and show that can be the real deal. We’ve also had one senior player in that period thats stepped up and gone a level into elite category (Barrass).

Deplorable trumpster

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Season from hell over...our worst season I believe? Obviously cruelled by injuries, the little spiky ball, leading to a lack of...synergy. It seems it's mostly doom and gloom: reliance on an aging list, lack of promising youth. Most agree we're starting a rebuild... But a year is a long time in footy too. I can't see a way we can contend for another year, so I guess it's best to maybe shake up our gameplan and develop our younger players. What do you think is the best case scenario? I think if we finish say, above 13th and show improvement, especially youngsters, I'll be happy. The oldies can hopefully help us not stay near the bottom at least. But we'll see...
Ladder position is irrelevent for me. And i can't see us making the 8 no matter what anyway.

The KPI's for Simpson and co should be firstly getting more games into young players. Secondly, getting serious and significant improvement in the group of players who have 50 games or more and are 27 or younger because this group has seriously floundered and flopped and we need more of a contribution from them. I think the comprehensive collective failure of this group to mature is the biggest black mark Simpson has. Thirdly, improving the mindset and fitness of the players to the point that however many games we lose all the losses are purely because the other side is better than us and not because the other side ran twice as hard and as far as we did and were more prepared to chase and fight for the ball in a contest and we weren't. I think a lot of the thumpings we copped this year were due to poor fitness, laziness and a losing mentality in the playing group who were having signals sent to them all year by club leadership that losing by 100 points is OK because Covid.

If they achieve these things and we are still in the bottom 4 then i will not criticise because i will still know that things are moving forwards. But all indications are that they are moving in the opposite direction and plan to ride the dead horse into the ground by prioritising playing the older players and relying on that group to generate the improvement. Any improvement in club performance that comes solely or mostly from the over 30's is fool's gold because it is not sustainable. The improvement, if there is any, needs to come from the middle aged group to have any meaning for us.

BeornJ

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
- Establish Optus Stadium as a challenging away game for other teams. Only top four teams (and Freo) should be able to beat us at home. This probably won't happen in 2023, but the fortress needs to be rebuilt.

- Pump games into our next premiership midfield. I could see Hough and Culley being two key members, possibly L. Edwards as well, as well as Chesser. I will wait and see who we draft, but you would hope we can draft an elite midfielder. O'Neill is an interesting one, will still only be 22 at the beginning of the 2023 season, and he has made significant improvements this year, but his ceiling doesn't seem as high as the others.

- Ideally, B. Williams continues his form from his game against the Cats, and becomes the quality ruckman we need. Otherwise, we need to jump on the Ruck merry go round again and find a 23-27 yr old ruckman to fill the gap Naitanui will leave when he retires.

- Allen comes back fit and firing, and forms a potent partnership with Darling. Hopefully, the step up from being the third tall to the second isn't too much for him.

- A Young defender stands up, and proves they are worthy to take on Hurn's role in 2024. Could be Bazzo, Witherden, Rotham or Foley. I am not counting Cole as I have him earmarked for Sheppard's lockdown role.

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
I think we are in some trouble, our list profile is all out of whack, every single one of our senior players are signed on for next season, our cupboard is largely bare of junior talent and our WAFL side is abysmal

Hell, we don't even have a Clarkson coming in who will undoubtedly shake the foundations of the club. We have the same old tired key people led by the nicest coach in the AFL in Adam Simpson when we desperately need someone to come in and kick some heads, and elicit some change

Best case scenario for next year? I would think if we finish between 12th-8th i would consider that a success

Its a low bar

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
We pick up multiple future AA's in the draft. The likes of Chesser, Culley, XON, Williams and L Edwards all have breakout seasons.

Simmo gets tapped after a winless first half of the season. We go on to lose every game until round 15 but then win all of the remaining games as the new game plan kicks in. We draft another batch of AA's at the end of it and have the best preseason ever with hands down the best batch of u23's in the competition.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood &amp; Liverpool.
Who cares where we finish, just sort out the useless S&C team. I don't care if we finish between 10th-16th or whatever, I just want players to not be perma injured or perma niggled.
True.

As soon as we can have fit players to select and can run out 4 quarters we will naturally improve.

Been horrid since 18

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
Best case scenario- My physical, entertainment and intellectual pursuits become so varied, exciting and interesting that I don't come to BF every day and read the usual suspects venting on the usual subjects.

Yeah unlikely I know.:(

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd like to see one of two things happen:

1. We have a great season, bounce back with a new exciting gameplan and rapid development of the youth, supported by good form from the vets. Make finals convincingly
OR
2. We struggle to start the year, prompting us to retire some vets mid-season. Everything clicks in the last 5 rounds and we go on a youth led winning streak. Finish bottom four but are confident we've turned the corner for 2024

I think we are in some trouble, our list profile is all out of whack, every single one of our senior players are signed on for next season, our cupboard is largely bare of junior talent and our WAFL side is abysmal

Hell, we don't even have a Clarkson coming in who will undoubtedly shake the foundations of the club. We have the same old tired key people led by the nicest coach in the AFL in Adam Simpson when we desperately need someone to come in and kick some heads, and elicit some change

Best case scenario for next year? I would think if we finish between 12th-8th i would consider that a success

Its a low bar

Re the bolded

I’m interested in your thoughts on Collingwood this year, in particular the performance and coaching style of Craig McRae

It’s always hard to judge from the outside, but McRae seems to be almost the polar opposite of what you’ve described

Rather than go in and kick heads he’s brought a more relaxed approach and given the players freedom to back themselves and stay in the moment without dwelling on mistakes

See the below clip for an example of what I’m getting at

It’s a different approach and is a further move away from the old style fire and brimstone method posters of my vintage have memories of being successful

Now, we do need to sharpen up on player discipline and standards as they have fallen but the kicking heads approach is increasingly becoming outdated

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Re the bolded

I’m interested in your thoughts on Collingwood this year, in particular the performance and coaching style of Craig McRae

It’s always hard to judge from the outside, but McRae seems to be almost the polar opposite of what you’ve described

Rather than go in and kick heads he’s brought a more relaxed approach and given the players freedom to back themselves and stay in the moment without dwelling on mistakes

See the below clip for an example of what I’m getting at

It’s a different approach and is a further move away from the old style fire and brimstone method posters of my vintage have memories of being successful

Now, we do need to sharpen up on player discipline and standards as they have fallen but the kicking heads approach is increasingly becoming outdated

There was zero pressure on Macrae and Collingwood

He was a first year coach with a young list and wasn't expected to do much. He can afford to be less harsh on those boys, he won 12 of their last 13 and made top 4. Any wonder he is more relaxed! 😂

Our coach on the other hand has the exact same approach and demeanour........in the worst season we have ever had

And therein lies the problem

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Noticed OAllen, in the box a bit during the games and on the bench with the headphones on.
Hoping he has learnt a lot this year that he can implement next year to improve his game awareness, reading of the play etc.
Just making finals would be a massive ++ but most important thing is minimal injuries and improvement in our sub 25 year olds.

JennyTaylor

Team Captain
Apr 29, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
We will likely get 3-4 wins next season. Best case scenario is 7.

Hurn, Gaff, Nicnat and Redden drop off even further with not much quality youth coming through.

KERRPOW

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 28, 2008
in a town near you
AFL Club
West Coast
Im tipping another bottom 4 finish.

Less than 5.5 wins.

No changes to our S+C team leading to another injury plagued season.

"We would have finished in the top 8 had these guys been fit and available" - nesbit in 12 months.

Back