What's the best case scenario for 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

thinking most realistic best case is about 4 wins and a whole bunch of honourable losses as the old blokes are pushed out and the chesser/culley types show a bit with a new exciting and fun to watch gameplan. enough not to get flogged by 10 goals every week but not so much that we miss out on pick 1 and harley reid.
worse case would be to bounce a bit into the 10-11 wins range and miss out on finals and top end draft talent.

thinking most realistic best case is about 4 wins and a whole bunch of honourable losses as the old blokes are pushed out and the chesser/culley types show a bit with a new exciting and fun to watch gameplan. enough not to get flogged by 10 goals every week but not so much that we miss out on pick 1 and harley reid.
worse case would be to bounce a bit into the 10-11 wins range and miss out on finals and top end draft talent.
I agree. I figure best case is either a Collingwood style rebound into a prelim/GF, or a bottom 4 finish.

Finishing 9th would be the absolute worst.

With Flagmantle fizzling out this year and our rivals suffering a looming player exodus, 2023 will be the year that the Eagles take back our rightful place in the Eight and actually do Western Australia proud in September...

Nah but seriously get rid of Nisbett first though.

you forgot to say the old blokes pushed out, when they want to go because it wont happen before then

My expectations would be as follows.

1) No more excuses, players fitter than they have ever been. Massive off season for our coaches and conditioning staff.
2) Game plan turned on its head, it’s not just about faster ball movement, we set up poorly in defence and very poorly forward. We don’t spread as forwards and make life extremely easy for our opponents. Midfield needs complete overhaul as we all know. Huge season for Simmo and Coaches to make the changes required to start building a good team again. Winning and losing secondary to how we play.
Good comments. Down to earth and right on. Negativity out the door and focus on creativity

New Premiership Flag
New proper football song - not a rehash of flying high
New Captain
New Balance
CEO handover plan
We probably need a new game plan otherwise we won't be getting a flag
We also need a new Match Committee without a banking background
Definitely a new captain and I sense Tommy has put up his hand for that

I see all the above happening

Toddy is not ready to take over from daddy yet so the CEO transition will have to wait - like King Chuck and Betty, Nissie II coronation will be delayed

Darling injury prompts fears of horror 2022 repeat

A year after a remarkable month of injuries shattered the Eagles 2022 season before it began, Jack Darling’s painful scream would have sent shivers down the spine of coach Adam Simpson on Friday.
\
Best scenario no more injuries & extremely fit squad that can run out a game all wishful thinking

Injuries are a part of football.

If anyone thought we wouldnt have any injuries at all they are / were kidding themselves.

We lost Nic and Sheppard in 2018 plus Gaff's suspension. When Brayshaw dropped his knees and ducked into a chest punch. You remember that dont you?

Stop being unrealistic and over dramatic. Oh forgot, its the Freo troll who pops up with only negative stories about us.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best case scenario, Chesser, Ginbey, Hewett, Burgiel, Barnett, Long, all debut and get games into them. Along with getting more games into Trew, Luke Edwards, Harry Edwards, Hough, Culley, Bazzo, and our young Rucks.
We take another low finish pick up some more young guns in next years draft and go from there.
I think it was Mick Malthouse who said every AFL coach there has ever been, has already been sacked or is going to be sacked, it goes with the territory. Simpson is no different.

We won't have pic 1, Sammy's gunning for it.

Best case scenario, Chesser, Ginbey, Hewett, Burgiel, Barnett, Long, all debut and get games into them. Along with getting more games into Trew, Luke Edwards, Harry Edwards, Hough, Culley, Bazzo, and our young Rucks.
We take another low finish pick up some more young guns in next years draft and go from there.
I think it was Mick Malthouse who said every AFL coach there has ever been, has already been sacked or is going to be sacked, it goes with the territory. Simpson is no different.

I totally agree

Best case scenario to me (and sounds like others on here) depends on how far into our rebuild we think we are. Are more low picks needed or time to start making our way up the ladder?

Are we going about the same as our previous rebuild in 2008-10:

Second bottom in '08 - Naitanui and Shuey
Fifth from bottom in '09 - Sheppard
Bottom in '10 - Gaff, Darling, Lycett, McGovern

Needing to draft about 6 AA level players as a core group sounds about right for a serious premiership challenger. (bit interesting to note 3 of those guys missed the premiership).

So how many did we get in '22? Did we get 3 or so in 2022, plus are Chesser, Bazzo and Culley counting towards our rebuild mean it started from 2021?

I'm feeling we have a third year of rebuild to go and best case scenario is another low finish. But if we already have 5-6 A-graders it might be time to prefer winning experience and a nice bounce back this year over higher draft picks.

Best case scenario to me (and sounds like others on here) depends on how far into our rebuild we think we are. Are more low picks needed or time to start making our way up the ladder?

Are we going about the same as our previous rebuild in 2008-10:

Second bottom in '08 - Naitanui and Shuey
Fifth from bottom in '09 - Sheppard
Bottom in '10 - Gaff, Darling, Lycett, McGovern

Needing to draft about 6 AA level players as a core group sounds about right for a serious premiership challenger. (bit interesting to note 3 of those guys missed the premiership).

So how many did we get in '22? Did we get 3 or so in 2022, plus are Chesser, Bazzo and Culley counting towards our rebuild mean it started from 2021?

I'm feeling we have a third year of rebuild to go and best case scenario is another low finish. But if we already have 5-6 A-graders it might be time to prefer winning experience and a nice bounce back this year over higher draft picks.
You probably need a different Avtar to be taken seriously about rebuilds.

New York Jets seem to have been a team forever rebuilding and never competing.

Your points a valid so maybe a change of fortune😜

Except coaches that were poached and moved to other clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back