What's the best season you have seen by a forward since 2000?

What's the best season you have seen by a forward since the 2000's

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

professor_koi

Draftee
Apr 12, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Mine was Warren Treadrea in 2004 and he was Carey-esque like that season and defenders couldn't keep up with him because he had a big tank. He dominated when the team needed him most.

When you factor in the next best fwd in Port was Thurstans and they dominated for 4 years... Tredrea was a one man fwd as big as its been. The others had better support or didn't win as much.

2 players have kicked 100 goals in the 00’s think they deserve it tbh
Need to factor in the circumstances and how much Tredrea carried that fwd line to 4 straight minor premierships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure you can answer anything except 2008 Buddy and keep a straight face. Only player to kick the ton this century (despite being 1 behind off the all time record, too) and he still got 15 touches a game.

Took the most marks inside 50 recorded in a season (I reckon Lockett or Dunstall would give that a shake but the stat wasn't kept) and kicked 4.5 goals a game in an era where 3 is considered the benchmark for a top key forward.

The reason it stands out so much to me is that Franklin if not rated as the best key forward has been rated among the top couple every year since 2007, perhaps with the exception of 2015 where he missed a chunk of footy. He's averaged 3+ goals a game in 9 seasons with two of those with a peak of 3.7. If you take 2008 out of the equation it's 782 goals in 257 games @ 3.04. Pretty bloody good career in its own right, for perspective Josh Kennedy is on 548 from 216 games. If he maintains his recent form of kicking 3 a game by the time he reaches 257 games he'll be 100+ behind.

But then you have 2008. So you gave a guy that is already rated as the best key forward, then he has one season that (on goals kicked only) is 50% better than the rest of his career. Yes in other seasons he's done more other than kicking goals but you'd take 15 touches, 2 inside 50s and 4.5 goals a game over 18, 5 & 3 any day of the week. The only 2008 could be 'downgraded' would be if it stood out as some low possession season where he didn't leave the goal square which it wasn't.

Nick Riewoldt 2004 & Jonathan Brown 2009 probably 2 & 3.

Was talking more around 05, remember he did the knee iirc
Most people retire after what he had.

He never lost his feet either, that was my standout memory from him. No diving for frees like Lloyd.

Buddy 2008 because that was just forward domination.

But Richo 2008 playing on the win and nearly winning the Brownlow was incredible. But hard to count as a forward.

But Ablett 2010 playing midfield and nearly winning the Brownlow was incredible (Judd should have been suspended for opening Pavlich's face up). But hard to count as a forward.

2008 Richo

48 goal 30 behinds
262 kicks
102 handballs
364 disposals
222 marks
11 tackles

2010 Ablett

44 goals 26 behinds
338 kicks
418 handballs
756 disposals
106 marks
101 tackles

The correct answer to the thread would be either of Buddy in '08 or Lloyd in '00. Nick Riewoldt's numbers in '04 look pretty good too.

Aker must be worth a mention somewhere too. Lots of goals, goal assists, disposals, marks and a Brownlow to cap off one season.

I reckon he had around 6-8 knee surgeries.

The dislocation in his early days didn't seem to bother him much.

Wasn't that late in a game against Carlton very early in his career after he'd taken about 15 - 20 marks for the game?

Just found it, in only his 8th game of footy :

18 kicks
17 marks
4 handballs
8 goals 4 behinds.

Wasn't that late in a game against Carlton very early in his career after he'd taken about 15 - 20 marks for the game?
17 marks, 8 goals, against SOS I believe at Princess Park.

Fair way to break onto the scene. 8th game.

Back