Autopsy What's the deal with the Western Bulldogs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha, Sydney were by far the best side. They were given that GF. The AFL came out afterwards and said the umpiring was sub par.

You’ve got Weightman on record saying he basically perfects how to draw a free. The fact a player can do that means the game is absolutely shot.
Nah, there has always been these types of players in the game. Brereton's flops were some of the most dramatic, they use them as stock footage for comedy these days.

1. Sydney was torn to shreds in the qualifying final by GWS, the team we beat in the prelim, they were not the best team in it, they happened to have finished first in the H&A.
2. The Bulldogs have beaten the Swans 7 times out of the last 10 games we have played, from 2015 up to 2022 including the GF. If the only time we won was in a GF, you might have an argument.
3. I might also add, Bulldogs backline was made up of three players from the rookie list, and a player from Geelong’s scrap heap, holding the COLA players in Franklin and Tippet. (Rorts)
4. Weightman was not on the list in 2016.
5. Sydney supporters on Bigfooty bring up the umpiring at any opportunity, in any thread, it’s their little revenge tactic, but last time I looked we still have the 2016 cup. Talk to Sydney supporters outside Bigfooty and they have never complained or whinged, it’s just the salty supporters on here.
6. Casting stones at the Bulldogs, is a diversion to stop looking at Melbourne who is being challenged by other teams. Bulldogs coincidentally beat Melbourne a few weeks ago, and we are shite, so how shite must Melbourne be.
This thread has nothing to do with Melbourne

I've never understood this take tbh. At the end of the day the 'bloods culture' that we all love to talk about wilted in the last quarter. It's that simple.

...and believe me, I'm a Geelong supporter. I know what wilting in finals looks like.

They just didn't show up when the game was there to be won and it's happened regularly for Sydney in the Buddy era. We just don't talk about it as much as we do Geelong, Collingwood, or Richmond in past years.

You can't get 1 goal out of your $1.5 million key forwards and expect to win, footy's pretty simple like that.
Franklin injured himself in that GF…

We’re cooked this year, but it’s looked that way since early in the season.

Top eight turnover has been much higher the last two years and our finals campaign last year was as tough as it has been for any side in that period.

For Bev’s faults he’s taken a club that made two grand finals and a flag in 90 years to two grand finals and a flag in his first 7 years. I’ll be reserving judgement on where we are till next year.

They’re under achieving they need a shake up of the coaching group at a minimum.
Any team through good fortune and good decisions that gets
Quality father sons
Number 1 pick through academy
And a player like bont, should be winning a few like cats when they got Scarlett Hawkins and the Abletts.
There’s still in it for a few years yet but something has to change.

They’re under achieving they need a shake up of the coaching group at a minimum.
Any team through good fortune and good decisions that gets
Quality father sons
Number 1 pick through academy
And a player like bont, should be winning a few like cats when they got Scarlett Hawkins and the Abletts.
There’s still in it for a few years yet but something has to change.

Stop going off topic and stick to talking about the 2016 grand final ;)

But you are right, under achieving and the club needs to find out why straight after our last game.

It was a rolled ankle. Hardly needed to the Lazarus to actually contribute.
You think Franklin hasn’t lived up to his billing as a key forward in a GF? I absolutely stand by my opinion that Sydney were rolled by the umpiring. The fact the AFL came out afterwards and apologised for ‘a few errors’ was enough to suggest the whole game was thrown.

You’ve even got that grub Weightman coming out and saying he works on drawing free kicks, absolutely evidenced by 4 gifts in the EF last year. You don’t do that unless you’re encouraged to do that from within the club.

The game on a whole is virtually ruined by the total unprofessional approach peddled by administrators; all revenue focused from gambling channels, no full time umpires, rule changes yearly, just a total farce of a sport.

The irony is that output of 2 Grand Finals/Flag is still a better output than many teams in the last 10-20 years.

Certainly their best 10 years in the AFL era.
Simpson/the Eagles is in the same boat with its fans wanting more.
Of course everyone aspires to do more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly their best 10 years in the AFL era.
Simpson/the Eagles is in the same boat with its fans wanting more.
Of course everyone aspires to do more.
WC have had better home and away results but the end result for Simpson and Bevo is pretty similar.

Even though Sydney under Longmire have been more consistently competitive than WBD/WC the result is still one flag from more than a decade.

Insiders at the clubs might have an insight into whether there are reasons to move on from then, but all have been successful coaches who would get another gig elsewhere quite easily.

I've never understood this take tbh. At the end of the day the 'bloods culture' that we all love to talk about wilted in the last quarter. It's that simple.

...and believe me, I'm a Geelong supporter. I know what wilting in finals looks like.

They just didn't show up when the game was there to be won and it's happened regularly for Sydney in the Buddy era. We just don't talk about it as much as we do Geelong, Collingwood, or Richmond in past years.

You can't get 1 goal out of your $1.5 million key forwards and expect to win, footy's pretty simple like that.
That's funny, I saw us giving our all right till the final siren.

They've got a coach who's an incredible motivator but isn't astute enough on match day. It's a very emotional team and environment he's created.

It's why they can get up for finals. Bevo can get the 'backs against the wall' mentality going because it's only 4 weeks. You can carry motivation for 4 weeks, but not a season. They get away with the lack of scheming due to their immense talent, but there's a lot of untapped potential there for a new coach and system to expand upon.

They're in a tough position, a bit like the one the Cats have been in with Scott over the last few years. You can't sack him because he's doing enough right and has won a flag, but there's also glaring deficiencies at play.

Personally reckon you have to surround Bevo with the best assistants available and let them take over the gameplan, and leave the motivating and weird analogies and metaphors to Bevo.

A key back wouldn't hurt either.
That's a very perceptive post.

You think Franklin hasn’t lived up to his billing as a key forward in a GF? I absolutely stand by my opinion that Sydney were rolled by the umpiring. The fact the AFL came out afterwards and apologised for ‘a few errors’ was enough to suggest the whole game was thrown.

You’ve even got that grub Weightman coming out and saying he works on drawing free kicks, absolutely evidenced by 4 gifts in the EF last year. You don’t do that unless you’re encouraged to do that from within the club.

The game on a whole is virtually ruined by the total unprofessional approach peddled by administrators; all revenue focused from gambling channels, no full time umpires, rule changes yearly, just a total farce of a sport.

It's just how I see it. Both Franklin and Tippett contributed nothing. If you're going to bring those guys into your club as marquee players and then have them dissapear when needed most then that's on you. I'd say that's far more important than the umpiring.

I mean really, who actually played well for Sydney that day? Kennedy was absolutely superb and unlucky not to be norm smith, but outside of him there weren't many.

The same applies to Geelong. If we bow out of the finals and Cameron does SFA just you watch, our board will be calling it a bad investment.

You get these guys in to win you big games. That's just how it is.

Yeah it's annoying, but Oliver probably does too. They all do. The difference is just the skill level of application.

We’re cooked this year, but it’s looked that way since early in the season.

Top eight turnover has been much higher the last two years and our finals campaign last year was as tough as it has been for any side in that period.

For Bev’s faults he’s taken a club that made two grand finals and a flag in 90 years to two grand finals and a flag in his first 7 years. I’ll be reserving judgement on where we are till next year.
Top eight? Even in your premiership year you only snuck in, got lucky with Sydney's injuries and have done so even since.

Yeah it's annoying, but Oliver probably does too. They all do. The difference is just the skill level of application.
Oliver did it against Fremantle because he was non stop held at the contest. At least he puts his head over the ball. I don’t like that he does it though. I think it’s an awful look and he should be punished if he does do it.

It's just how I see it. Both Franklin and Tippett contributed nothing. If you're going to bring those guys into your club as marquee players and then have them dissapear when needed most then that's on you. I'd say that's far more important than the umpiring.

I mean really, who actually played well for Sydney that day? Kennedy was absolutely superb and unlucky not to be norm smith, but outside of him there weren't many.

The same applies to Geelong. If we bow out of the finals and Cameron does SFA just you watch, our board will be calling it a bad investment.

You get these guys in to win you big games. That's just how it is.
Franklin is probably the best player to have played the game. As I said, he did roll that ankle and it no doubt impacted him. Dan Hannebery was huge that day.

There’s no way that was more important than the umpiring. The AFL had to come out and apologise, that was the tip of the iceberg. How many times does the AFL do that? And in a GF? It stinks.

Top eight? Even in your premiership year you only snuck in, got lucky with Sydney's injuries and have done so even since.
Yeah we snuck in with 15 wins 🙄

We beat every side in the league bar Geelong that season, we played the same number of games as Sydney for the same number of wins and we beat Sydney twice, including the SCG.

Very hard to pass up a player like Treloar when they fall into you lap though. Trade wise the Dogs gave up nothing for him, only salary and he came with a $300k p.a. discount thanks to Collingwood. I'm not convinced that was a bad move, we'd otherwise be replacing him on field with maybe Lipinski who is definitely decent but not an upgrade on Treloar at this point in time (and probably not too much cheaper $).

The list is definitely top 8 though and has underperformed this season.

I would argue your list is most definitely NOT top 8. Completely unbalanced. Sure your midfield can be excellent and your flankers. Your backline is almost non existent and you have had one KF all season. Your other KF('s) are still developing.

It's not a top 8 list and the results are proving it. Beveridge may be at fault for defensive play (which yes has been poor). The list manager has to wear some of the blame for the balance of the list though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back