Autopsy What's the deal with the Western Bulldogs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Few poor list management decisions recently. Treloar was unnecessary, letting Dunkley go could have helped them address their defence/ruck stocks. Not sure Lobb is what they need rn with Juh, Naughton and English already.

Mind you they really should have been better than this.
I agree we should have let Dunkley go. If it was my decision I would have said yes to a good first and second rounder. Obviously doesn’t want to play for us if he is requesting a trade. Use those picks to grab a needed player or split into more picks for points on Jamarra so that draft isn’t wasted entirely on him.

Few poor list management decisions recently. Treloar was unnecessary, letting Dunkley go could have helped them address their defence/ruck stocks. Not sure Lobb is what they need rn with Juh, Naughton and English already.

Mind you they really should have been better than this.
Very hard to pass up a player like Treloar when they fall into you lap though. Trade wise the Dogs gave up nothing for him, only salary and he came with a $300k p.a. discount thanks to Collingwood. I'm not convinced that was a bad move, we'd otherwise be replacing him on field with maybe Lipinski who is definitely decent but not an upgrade on Treloar at this point in time (and probably not too much cheaper $).

The list is definitely top 8 though and has underperformed this season.

From what I see, they don’t seem to have a “gorilla” KPP who has opponents looking over their shoulders.

None of English, Naughton, JUH, Cordy or Keath really seem to be those physical crash-and-bash types. Bruce maybe (?) but he’s not even guaranteed best 22 anymore.

But in a non-snarky way, their problem is list build and Beveridge.

Instead of collecting midfielders like infinity stones, they should've put more of an effort into recruiting solid KPPs (namely, defenders). You're always going to be battling when your best key defender is Alex Keath.

On Beveridge, his stubbornness re game plan (i.e. backing off the mark) and picking his favourite 5-6 spuds every week is holding the team back.

The Bulldogs' top six are elite. Their bottom six are some of the worst in the league.
I think this is on the mark. The Bulldogs have had stacked midfields in the last few years (including 2016 which was once described as 'a team of midfielders'), but never particularly good forward or backlines.

Their top few players are elite but there is a significant drop off after that. All of the above can lead to finals and even grand final appearances but makes it hard to win premierships.

In addition, as a neutral Beveridge strikes me as a bit of a maverick coach, dare I say like Malcolm Blight. He obviously did something very right in 2016 to motivate and teach the players because that was an incredible achievement. I stand by my comment at the time that it was, when taken in context, the greatest victory ever won in Australian football.

There seem to be a few AFL coaches who will pull brilliant moves or get wins that no other coach would, but also produce sub-par results. Sometimes the maverick moves come off brilliantly and sometimes they don't.

Last edited:
and yet Bulldogs fans who say it is only "salty" Swans fans who think this.

You paid 2.5 million dollars of salary to 2 key forward that combined to kick 1 goal lmao. They played on hamling & roberts by the way.

Tom Boyd showed buddy & tippet how it's done. You lost because our forwards kicked 13 goals and yours kicked 2. Pretending that a net +4-5 frees after review would have changed the result by 4+ goals when your forward line couldn't score is hilarious.

They've got a coach who's an incredible motivator but isn't astute enough on match day. It's a very emotional team and environment he's created.

It's why they can get up for finals. Bevo can get the 'backs against the wall' mentality going because it's only 4 weeks. You can carry motivation for 4 weeks, but not a season. They get away with the lack of scheming due to their immense talent, but there's a lot of untapped potential there for a new coach and system to expand upon.

They're in a tough position, a bit like the one the Cats have been in with Scott over the last few years. You can't sack him because he's doing enough right and has won a flag, but there's also glaring deficiencies at play.

Personally reckon you have to surround Bevo with the best assistants available and let them take over the gameplan, and leave the motivating and weird analogies and metaphors to Bevo.

A key back wouldn't hurt either.

Poor coaching and defensive gameplan. List management haven’t sufficiently solved ruck and KPD weaknesses. Pathetic onfield adjustment to centre clearance dominance by the opposition.

Everything else is just noise. Put Scott, Longmire or any other decent established coach in charge of this list and they’d be in the top 4-6 teams in the comp consistently.

The umpires gave them the flag in 2016, and they gave them a few finals last year. They’re really not great. Never have been.

I've never understood this take tbh. At the end of the day the 'bloods culture' that we all love to talk about wilted in the last quarter. It's that simple.

...and believe me, I'm a Geelong supporter. I know what wilting in finals looks like.

They just didn't show up when the game was there to be won and it's happened regularly for Sydney in the Buddy era. We just don't talk about it as much as we do Geelong, Collingwood, or Richmond in past years.

You can't get 1 goal out of your $1.5 million key forwards and expect to win, footy's pretty simple like that.

They need two quality key defenders. They have everything else but they are desperate for defenders who can do more than punch the ball.
Melbourne were in a similar boat before they signed Lever and May. The plus side for the Bulldogs, they actually have one of the most exciting forward prospects on their hands in Ugle-Hagan.

Naughton could certainly fill a void in defense as Moore did in later years for Collingwood.

They've got a coach who's an incredible motivator but isn't astute enough on match day. It's a very emotional team and environment he's created.

It's why they can get up for finals. Bevo can get the 'backs against the wall' mentality going because it's only 4 weeks. You can carry motivation for 4 weeks, but not a season. They get away with the lack of scheming due to their immense talent, but there's a lot of untapped potential there for a new coach and system to expand upon.

They're in a tough position, a bit like the one the Cats have been in with Scott over the last few years. You can't sack him because he's doing enough right and has won a flag, but there's also glaring deficiencies at play.

Personally reckon you have to surround Bevo with the best assistants available and let them take over the gameplan, and leave the motivating and weird analogies and metaphors to Bevo.

A key back wouldn't hurt either.
In the 7 years Beveridge has been coach, they have only won a final in two of those years.
In 2015, 2019 and 2020 they were knocked out in the first elimination.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha, Sydney were by far the best side. They were given that GF. The AFL came out afterwards and said the umpiring was sub par.

You’ve got Weightman on record saying he basically perfects how to draw a free. The fact a player can do that means the game is absolutely shot.
1. Sydney was torn to shreds in the qualifying final by GWS, the team we beat in the prelim, they were not the best team in it, they happened to have finished first in the H&A.
2. The Bulldogs have beaten the Swans 7 times out of the last 10 games we have played, from 2015 up to 2022 including the GF. If the only time we won was in a GF, you might have an argument.
3. I might also add, Bulldogs backline was made up of three players from the rookie list, and a player from Geelong’s scrap heap, holding the COLA players in Franklin and Tippet. (Rorts)
4. Weightman was not on the list in 2016.
5. Sydney supporters on Bigfooty bring up the umpiring at any opportunity, in any thread, it’s their little revenge tactic, but last time I looked we still have the 2016 cup. Talk to Sydney supporters outside Bigfooty and they have never complained or whinged, it’s just the salty supporters on here.
6. Casting stones at the Bulldogs, is a diversion to stop looking at Melbourne who is being challenged by other teams. Bulldogs coincidentally beat Melbourne a few weeks ago, and we are shite, so how shite must Melbourne be.

Last edited:
Four grand finals in your team's entire history, and you're about to miss the eight the following year for the fourth time.

Dogs fans would know a thing or two about dynasties.
Woohoo, cuts like a scythe!

1. Sydney was torn to shreds in the qualifying final by GWS, the team we beat in the prelim, they were not the best team in it, they happened to have finished first in the H&A.
2. The Bulldogs have beaten the Swans 7 times out of the last 10 games we have played, from 2015 up to 2022 including the GF.
3. Weightman was not on the list in 2016.
4. Sydney supporters on Bigfooty bring up the umpiring at any opportunity, in any thread, it’s their little revenge tactic, but last time I looked we still have the 2016 cup. Talk to Sydney supporters outside Bigfooty and they have never complained or whinged, it’s just the salty supporters on here.
4. Casting stones at the Bulldogs, is a diversion to stop looking at Melbourne who is being challenged by other teams. Bulldogs coincidentally beat Melbourne a few weeks ago, and we are shite, so how shite must Melbourne be.
Was there not a little investigation into 2016 GF umpiring, after which the AFL stated there were several incorrect decisions? I am sure this DID happen, but couldnt bb checking this minute ....

Was there not a little investigation into 2016 GF umpiring, after which the AFL stated there were several incorrect decisions? I am sure this DID happen, but couldnt bb checking this minute ....
The Swans reckon there was, I have never seen anything.

Kissed on the dick draft gifts have been a tried and true path to premiership glory so getting a gun young KPF and KPD into a team at the pointy end is almost handing them a flag in the next 3-4 years IMO

They will be way unders in flag betting next year preseason

The dogs were favoured I just think that vid highlighted some examples that were questionable

Swans were lucky we didn't put them away in the 3rd quarter.

And we were all over them in the 4th quarter as well..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back