What's the difference between Rugby Union and Rugby League

Remove this Banner Ad

They reckon u gotta be a yuppie to play union, and u gotta be a scumbag to play league!

I dunno, league has more lines on the field I think, however they both struggle with the crowds.

One mob reckon they're wallabies, the other are Kangaroos when representing Australia.

Players keep switchin code's - so there cant be too big a difference.

League is bigger in Australia, but struggles internationally. Union however struggles in Australia, but is bigger in superpower :rolleyes: nations such as New Zealand and Souf Efrica.

They are both sorta caught in the middle with their direction.
For example, domestically they cant compete with sports such as Australian Football, Gaelic Footy and American Football in their respective countries, however as international sports they couldnt tie the shoelaces of a soccer.

However, as a cure for amnesia - nobody comes close!!!:D

Originally posted by Smokin
They reckon u gotta be a yuppie to play union, and u gotta be a scumbag to play league!

One mob reckon they're wallabies, the other are Kangaroos when representing Australia.

:D

LOL Smokin that probably explains it as well as anything.

One of the main differences is that Rugby League sides have 13 players whereas in Union you have 15, the extra 2 players are called flankers.......that's flankers spelt with fl not w .
In league when the bloke with the ball is tackled he can hang onto it but as a team they can only do this 6 times in a row before they have to kick it or turn it over, in Union the bloke who is tackled has to let go of the ball & players from both sides try to win the ball back.There are a number of other rules that keep the 2 games fairly different but they are much closer than they used to be.
In regards to players changing codes it is much easier for players in certain position than others ie wingers do a pretty similar job in both games but Rugby Union locks would probably struggle in League.
League is in trouble as Union is gaining ground in the 2 countries where League has been strong-England & Australia.Even in these 2 countires League has only been big in certain areas-in Australia it is NSW & Queensland & in England it is Yorkshire & Lancashire.League has never been a truly international sport whereas Union is played in a number of countries & is growing at a quick rate.

I think Rugby Union is definately gaining grounds on the international scale......

And even though it may not now be as big as soccer, its profile is definately on the increase.
I love all 3 codes, league/union/soccer so I hope they all do well, especially in Victoria!!

Well... Its good too smash the yubbie posh kids playing union coz they dont expect it either.

Awww Yes Sir, Thank U Sir, Lets Play Some Rugby. *Inset Posh Tone Of Voice*

Mags

Remove this Banner Ad

Back