Movie What's the last movie you saw? (4)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now the coca cola kid review thanks roobs!
What do you get when you take Dusan Makavejev and Eric Roberts out of the comfort zone of a context in which they work well, and amplify all their deficiencies? You get one of the worst films ever made on a sufficient budget. If there is a hell, this film is on loop.

Bill Kerr, Tim Finn and a rich premise are the only glimmers of hope in resuscitating this shambolic mess, which is drenched in some of the worst American-Australian stereotyping kitsch you have ever ever seen. I wasn't just cringing at times during this film, I was in physical pain, it was that downright offensive. Other than the odd shot here or there, It's just really poorly made on multiple levels.

Apparently this was shown in competition at Cannes (flol) and received a fairly okay reception, although we might be able to chalk that up to France's notoriously paranoid relationship with Coca Cola as the forefront symbol of soft power hegemonic influence.

For all promising young actors out there, let this be a reminder that you are only as good as your last performance. An absolute career killer for Eric Roberts in every way, he never really recovered from this. He has made many bad choices in his career, but this is his most catastrophic. Whilst he actually received an Oscar nomination in 1985 thanks to his immediately subsequent film release, and arguably his finest film yet (Runaway Train), the failure of this and the subsequent Nobody's Fool, along with off-screen problems, effectively resulted in him walking the plank.

Despite a potentially intelligent premise, this film is utterly moronic, although I suspect a lot of this stems from the choice of director for this particular project. The tale of the film production, particularly the anecdotes of the rather sporting Scacchi, are infinitely more interesting than the film itself. It's an embarrassing final product, a low light for practically all involved. As a film production it was certainly worth giving a go, it held promise, but the mixture of ingredients here is a hideously vile concoction.

pity to read that about Interstellar Roobs321 as I had been looking forward to it & still am but have lowered expectations after hearing a few others also express concerns.

Prometheus left me annoyed bordering on angry, so I hope at least Interstellar doesn't sink me that low...

What are rape scenes supposed to be like? entertaining?
I'd imagine someone can watch it and separate what is happening on screen to how they feel about it, and yes, view it as entertainment, a part of the story.

The Smurfs

Progressive movie viewing.

Every time I watch this awful movie, I see just a bit little more.

Not sure if I'll get to see the whole thing this time.

Katy Perry is just the worst Smurfette...

The Smurfs

Progressive movie viewing.

Every time I watch this awful movie, I see just a bit little more.

Not sure if I'll get to see the whole thing this time.

Katy Perry is just the worst Smurfette...
Agreed.... Would still smurf the **** out of her though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love Actually.

Had never seen it and my mate told me to watch it. Enjoyed it thoroughly, would watch it again. Hugh Grant is incredibly charming, also loved each individual story that was told. Great movie.
Agree. It's one of those movies where if it's on, I'll watch it.

We Bought A Zoo

Ten minutes to go and I still haven't given up hope the lions will eat every single character.

Still, a worthy conclusion to Cameron Crowe's "Trilogy of Turkeys."

After Vanilla Sky and Elizabethtown...

We Bought A Zoo

Ten minutes to go and I still haven't given up hope the lions will eat every single character.

Still, a worthy conclusion to Cameron Crowe's "Trilogy of Turkeys."

After Vanilla Sky and Elizabethtown...
I enjoyed We Bought A Zoo but I'm a sucker for some Jonsi/Sigur Ros and animals.

Memento

A real head scratcher this one. I liked it. It's a movie that tickles that part of the brain, that doesn't normally get used when viewing the usual entertainment, and I'm very much inclined to watch it again (I never want to rewatch movies).

However, I'm a sucker for happy endings, and this movie didn't have one. Definitely leaves a sour taste in my mouth, but in a way, it does make the movie that much more chilling.

8/10

Just started watching the butterfly effect....

Wtf is this a horror film? Because I DONT watch scary films... let alone 3am before bed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back