Movie What's the last movie you saw? (4)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013)

Heard great things about it. It was either pretentious s**t or inspiring and brilliant. I have to err on the former unfortunately.
I was a big fan of that one. Although as said, it probably has more to do with the current mindset.

Loved Penn in that as well.

Raman Raghav 2.0

Saw this at the Indian Film Festival a coupla weeks ago. Tale of two killers, different sides of the legal coin. Raman is a homeless man who kills due to the "voices in his head" and a blatantly sociopathic personality. Raghavan is a narcissistic, coke addicted, misogynistic cop who treats women as sexual objects and spends the majority of the movie skulking about.

The topic has been done to death, and the only thing that propels this film is the inspired acting by Nawazuddin Siddiqui as the psychotic psychopath. 7/10

Indignation - Logan Lerman is an actor on the rise. Very good drama and some of the highest level of acting you're likely to see. There are a couple of scenes that really stand out as great. Should be at the very least nominations for best acting for some of the key players in this but not sure it's a big enough film to get that acclaim. 8/10

War Dogs

Change of pace for Todd Phillips.

Pretty interesting. But a bit long. Even flat.

A story that might've worked better as a doco...

Have watched a few recently:

Concussion (2015)
- in my opinion Will Smith's best film since I Am Legend. Thoroughly enjoyed his, Alec Baldwin and Gugu Mbatha-Raw's performances, as well as the storyline. 7/10

Suicide Squad (2016) - woeful. Terrible storyline, and some fantastic actors had just about nothing to work with. 2/10

Kingsman (2015) - fun, action spy film. Fairly standard, unadventurous story-line by that's fine. 7.5/10

Zootopia (2016) - super, super film. Highly recommend. 9/10

Just finished Ex-Machina. I enjoyed it. I could pick pretty early what was going to happen but the tension build was still good. 7/10

Takes me a while to catch up. This movie was amazing. So many feels.

The ending was unsatisfying for Caleb but ultimately a win for Ava.

Nathan had set it up that Ava was able to manipulate Caleb so well it was the downfall of both of them.

Not sure anybody could have believed the other girl wasn't a robot even when Nathan tried to bullshit she was Japanese. Still at least they tried to keep that ruse up for a little while.

I'd probably class it as a psychological thriller more than a sci fi myself but still doesn't take away from how much it makes you think.

5 stars.

Money Monster - really good hostage thriller with a pissed off nobody challenging the establishment over missing investment funds. Seems like a satire at first but 30 minutes in and things really start to get real - 7/10

American Gangster
- quality crime movie in the same vein as 'Scarface', 'New Jack City', 'Lord Of War', etc... 8/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Trainwreck" with Amy Schumer.

Was surprisingly funny, never seen her in anything before so didn't know what to expect. Liked it enough to watch her tv show, I couldn't get through 1 episode of that though haha.
Yeah it definitely exceeded expectations that one, I thought it was gonna be terrible.

David Brent: Life on the Road

Laugh. Cry. Cringe. Sing.

Gervais' genius is making you love a character you would absolutely, positively, most definitely hate and avoid at all costs in real life.

Great soundtrack, too...

Last edited:
Predator - just watched again for about the 20 time. Has to be one of the best handful of action films of all time. Still looks great to this day. One of my favs. 9.5/10 from me.

Last edited:
Jason Bourne.

My expectations were low from what I'd heard so I didn't mind it. Nothing too memorable about it aside from some stuff on the streets of Vegas. Plot pretty ridiculous and far-fetched but all in all the movie wasn't too bad I thought for a bit of action and car chases. 6/10.

This was my favourite bit...

Love and Friendship: Jane Austen adaptation. Was well directed and had a nice edge to it in that it had a modern flavour to the way it was made. Was quite funny 7/10

The Wailing:
Korean thriller/fantasy from the great director who did The Chaser and The Yellow Sea. I think it was playing at the Nova for a week i missed the boat. This was a crazy film. Not really sure I understand the whole thing but wow! 8/10

Was it good? Was really worried it would be a flop

Had my doubts. Coz I wasn't sure if that character would work outside their established world. But I was PMSL laughing in the first minute.

Later, I had the horrifying realisation that there's a little bit (or a-lot) of David Brent in everyone trying to make s**t happen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back