Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

edgie

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Spider-Man: Homecoming

I avoided seeing this for a long time, having gotten sick of continuous reboots of the character and having heard disappointed things from trusted sources. Well, it is a good solid entertaining movie, with laughs, adventure, and good performances. Better than expected and not a waste of my time. It is also the most shallow and disposable experience of a Spidey movie out and easily the furthest removed from the classic character and universe. It's really just a reskinned Ant-Man in style and tone. On any given day this should be an 8/10 movie, but being a fan of the character and compared to previous film versions, I don't think I can go any higher than a 6.5/10 personally.

Last edited:

GreyCrow

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Redskins , White Sox
Bird Box - 7/10

Enjoyed it , had enough twists to keep watching. As noted earlier that she and the 2 children are the only ones on the boat left you waiting for the deaths

The Hitmans BodyGuard - if entertainment is the aim then its a 6/10 , if high art is the aim then 2/10

I saw this movie done better 30 years ago with DeNiro and Grodin.

Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L Jackson play off each other and there is a spark of chemistry between them, but Reynolds is starting to play the same schtick in the last 5 movies I have seen of his.

Reynolds has to get hitman Jackson to the Hague to testify against a brutal dictator. Multiple deaths ensue to ensure the car and plaster industry is kept rich.

The only annoying thing is the self parody of Jackson Mother****** phrase. He must have said it 100 times in all manner of different context and it became stale

Switch off brain to enjoy this

EFC 1871

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Essendon
Spider-Man: Homecoming

I avoided seeing this for a long time, having gotten sick of continuous reboots of the character and having heard disappointed things from trusted sources. Well, it is a good solid entertaining movie, with laughs, adventure, and good performances. Better than expected and not a waste of my time. It is also the most shallow and disposable experience of a Spidey movie out and easily the furthest removed from the classic character and universe. It's really just a reskinned Ant-Man in style and tone. On any given day this should be an 8/10 movie, but being a fan of the character and compared to previous film versions, I don't think I can go any higher than a 6.5/10 personally.
Apart from the rating, you've written my thoughts.

I avoided it because we didn't need the 3rd Spider-Man in 10 years (and also because I dislike Marvel films), but found it more entertaining than I expected.

There was nothing wrong with it, but it didn't have the depth of the Maguire and Garfield films.

Financialpanther

Premiership Player
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Apart from the rating, you've written my thoughts.

I avoided it because we didn't need the 3rd Spider-Man in 10 years (and also because I dislike Marvel films), but found it more entertaining than I expected.

There was nothing wrong with it, but it didn't have the depth of the Maguire and Garfield films.
I kinda thought this film rode the quality of the villain as opposed to anything else. Keaton was a good villain which made the film better than it should have been to be honest. If Keaton wasn't in it (and the actor in place wasn't as good) - not sure it would have worked.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Moderator #5,609
I’m probably on my own here but I didn’t mind the first transformers movie Bay did. Mindless action with a few cheap laughs, it’s no Citizen Kane but it was an enjoyable popcorn flick. Everything else with the transformers name from that point on got really bad really quick though.

crafty_bernardo

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I’m probably on my own here but I didn’t mind the first transformers movie Bay did. Mindless action with a few cheap laughs, it’s no Citizen Kane but it was an enjoyable popcorn flick. Everything else with the transformers name from that point on got really bad really quick though.
The Last Knight was pretty poor, but I liked Age of Extinction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manureid

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man United,Raiders
I still enjoy the first Bayformer movie. By about the 3rd one I was just falling asleep watching them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Melbourne
Assassin's Creed - 2/10

What an absolute pile of shit. Such a good cast wasted on a poorly written and horribly directed movie. I checked the Wikipedia page and couldn't believe this had a budget of $125M. Almost every action scene or vast sweeping CGI shot is inexplicably obscured by CGI dust and clouds as though the film was actually made with 1/10th of the reported budget. Trash.

EFC 1871

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Essendon
The Old Man & The Gun

Potentially Robert Redford's last film. A very enjoyable film, set in the 80s and based on the true story of an ageing bank robber that charms most of America as his notoriety builds. While robbing banks around the country, he develops a friendship with a widow that doesn't know his true identity.

A nice little film that is never too heavy, and wouldn't have looked out of place in Redford's era.

Worth watching.

6/10

BlakeyNoFlakey

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Geelong
Vice (2018)

Vice offers a detailed overview of Dick Cheney’s elaborate ruse to exploit the country’s highest authority as VP, but undercuts this with crass and often clunky humor that overstates the nature of Cheney’s villainy. I found the film to be gimmicky, and despite Bale's amazing transformation physically and verbally into the man, I felt it was all superficial, and I had no more insight into the kind of man Cheney was, other than what I already knew. For me this was the let down of the film. 5/10

moto748

Club Legend
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
The Favourite

And favourite for the Oscars, I gather. I liked it a lot. Three leads all very good, but loses points for a very intrusive soundtrack (I realise that is deliberate, but it still got on my tits).

8/10

Rod Stroker

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Don't worry, he won't get far on foot.
Brilliant. Arguably Phoenix's best performance. Jonah Hill is also pretty good.
I've seen a few movies about recovering alcoholics, 12 step program, etc. This is probably the best I've seen.
Surprised I haven't seen more chatter about it, talked about for awards, etc. How Phoenix hasn't been mentioned or nominated for his performance is baffling.

Bel Canto
Was alright, not great. Wasn't convinced about Moore's performance as an opera singer. I also wasn't a fan of the Stockholm Syndrome that kicked in towards the end. I couldn't buy that the hostages had suddenly become sympathetic towards the rebels who had held them at gunpoint for days.

Bomberboyokay

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
West Ham, New York Rangers
Is it just me or is Jason Momoa a really shitty actor that just looks kinda cool?
He was well cast in Game of Thrones. Admittedly he didn't talk much and when he did it was a made up language with subtitles.

He sucked in Stargate: Atlantis but that whole show basically sucked.

Bomberboyokay

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
West Ham, New York Rangers
Passengers; it gets a little hokey and could have been braver with its end, but I thought it explored the premise really well. I read a short story years ago with the same premise, it was great and while this never reached great heights, it touched on enough to be interesting. Surprised it’s so low on metacritic.
It has some interesting ideas and themes but it turns crummy in the third act and completely pissweak by the end, like they made it for people who watch My Kitchen Rules. I cannot recommend it. No wonder you'll defend The Last Jedi forever when you give Passengers a pass mark.

Punchy Bassett

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NFC AUFC MUFC Socceroos
Nah first one was good they just went trash from there

RobbyRoy

Premiership Player
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
I kinda thought this film rode the quality of the villain as opposed to anything else. Keaton was a good villain which made the film better than it should have been to be honest. If Keaton wasn't in it (and the actor in place wasn't as good) - not sure it would have worked.
A solid villain definitely helped but I also found Tom Holland to be the best Spider-Man yet. Actually looking and acting like a kid helped and the guy has strong comedic timing with enough talent to sell the drama. Maguire had two good films and Garfield one, let's see how Holland goes in the sequel.

RobbyRoy

Premiership Player
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Leave No Trace - Really well directed look at the wide reaching effects of PTSD and specifically on the children of those suffering. An extreme example of course, with the father living with his daughter in forests and surviving on the bare minimal. Ben Foster is just about the most underrated actor working today and young Kiwi Thomasin McKenzie is very impressive.

The Rider - A semi fictional story of a rodeo rider who hurts himself in a fall and cannot continue with his career and passion. Non actor Brady Jandreau is terrific in the lead role and using other non professionals including Brady's autistic sister paid off in spades. Young director Chloe Zhao is one to watch.

Toump Ass

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Melbourne
A Star is Born 0/10
Schmaltzy, hysterical, predictable and completely devoid of soul. Lady Gaga should stick to bog-standard house/pop abominations like that Pokerface trash that no one would ever want to listen to ever again. The "songs" in the film are overblown wank, just like Gaga's face. Total shit. Literally anything is better than this.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Moderator #5,625
A Star is Born 0/10
Schmaltzy, hysterical, predictable and completely devoid of soul. Lady Gaga should stick to bog-standard house/pop abominations like that Pokerface trash that no one would ever want to listen to ever again. The "songs" in the film are overblown wank, just like Gaga's face. Total shit. Literally anything is better than this.
That’s a touch OTT but loving the melt.

Top Bottom