Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marlowe

The 'M' is Silent
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
I saw Aquaman last week. Thought it was one of the best superhero movies to date, purely because it achieved what so many superhero movies fail to: to be a singular adventure story that can stand on its own. It reminded me a lot of the Brendan Fraser Mummy movies or those bad Sam Worthington Clash of the Titans movies. A movie that really knows how to lean into how badass its lead character is too.

Toump Ass

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'll take a crappy d-grade sci-fi action flick over some contrived, overcooked love story with a rubbish soundtrack and pig-ugly lead any day.

You’re also forgetting that besides just a few 3 chord songs a film also requires a score.
There's one composer listed on the Star Wars OST, two on Dark Night... and fourteen and a half million on ASIB.

I'll stand by my opinion it's over-produced and the credits I copy-pasted in my previous post suggest the same.

chefmeister

Big Footy’s Best Dressed Cat
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
TMT
That Cooper/Gaga song is on the radio now. Beautiful. I can’t really hear any overcooking tho.
Good times. :thumbsu:

My only fear is that typical commercial overplay may ruin it for me. :(

RobbyRoy

Premiership Player
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
That Cooper/Gaga song is on the radio now. Beautiful. I can’t really hear any overcooking tho.
Good times. :thumbsu:

My only fear is that typical commercial overplay may ruin it for me. :(
You mustn't have the radio on very much; has been played like crazy since the film came out in November or whatever.

chefmeister

AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
TMT
You mustn't have the radio on very much; has been played like crazy since the film came out in November or whatever.
Nah not often but they kinda favour their own music here anyway.
I was never a fan of ABBA or Roxette but I pretty much know all the tunes by heart now.

FRUMPY

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Instant family - had it's funny moments and enjoyable watch. Was exactly what I expected (wasn't going to be great but watchable) and exactly what it was. Walhberg and Byrne are good together and while storyline was predictable was good enough as a chick flick for us blokes to watch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

AFL Club
St Kilda
Moderator #5,660
Generally would agree with you (haven't seen this yet) but he was pretty good in Foxcatcher.
This and Little Miss Sunshine, I also think his performance in Crazy, Stupid, Love is pretty great (it’s a rom com but he’s doing a lot more than just gags).

Having said that he has a head for comedy, he just “looks” funny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

chefmeister

AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
TMT
I'll take a crappy d-grade sci-fi action flick over some contrived, overcooked love story with a rubbish soundtrack and pig-ugly lead any day.
You don’t think the predator is pig ugly & this sequel is just a forced cash grab??
There's one composer listed on the Star Wars OST, two on Dark Night
How many musicians in those orchestras tho? You listed guitarists, drummers etc but an entire orchestra is huge.
I'll stand by my opinion it's over-produced and the credits I copy-pasted in my previous post suggest the same.
Well I’d expect a movie based around music as it’s base plot to feature a lot more musicians in its crew.

To say that is too heavy handed is as ignorant as saying Star Wars is over cooked because it used waaaay more FX personnel than than a movie like Avatar for instance that just required some talented CGI animators on a laptop. :drunk:

Toump Ass

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Melbourne
You don’t think the predator is pig ugly & this sequel is just a forced cash grab??
Side by side I'm not sure I could tell Gaga and the Predator apart, could you?

How many musicians in those orchestras tho? You listed guitarists, drummers etc but an entire orchestra is huge.
I'm not sure what the point of this question is. The number of musicians isn't a factor, what is (IMO) is the numerous recording assistants, composers, engineers and producers. But I'm happy for you to disagree, given you've already demonstrated questionable taste and don't appear to have a concept of what "production" is, let along "over-production".

To say that is too heavy handed is as ignorant as saying Star Wars is over cooked because it used waaaay more FX personnel than than a movie like Avatar for instance that just required some talented CGI animators on a laptop. :drunk:
Mate those Star Wars prequels are definitely overcooked. They're a bloody CGI nightmare, it's like watching a cartoon, jesus!

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Cold War - 8.5/10

The pacing was a bit jarring, but I felt that was intentional to the story. Quite a devastating movie with I think my favourite cinematography of 2018. Images are still stuck in my head even after a nights sleep.

Only shoplifter's to view and 2018 will be officially complete I reckon.

RobbyRoy

Premiership Player
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Nah not often but they kinda favour their own music here anyway.
I was never a fan of ABBA or Roxette but I pretty much know all the tunes by heart now.
Didn't notice your location. I don't know how I'd survive if I couldn't hear Aussie Crawl and INXS on the radio every 2 minutes.

Wildlife - Interesting film, not too sure what to make of it right now. A lot of it made me very uncomfortable to watch, mostly attributable to young Aussie actor Ed Oxenbould, who looks a talent but has a real awkward air about him right now. Mulligan is generally terrific (in this and everything else) but I didn't fully buy in to all her character's behaviour, which may have been the point. Not sure the 60's setting really added anything to the story but I'm always happy for a film to take me back to a different time. Rating? No idea.

edgie

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
This and Little Miss Sunshine, I also think his performance in Crazy, Stupid, Love is pretty great (it’s a rom com but he’s doing a lot more than just gags).

Having said that he has a head for comedy, he just “looks” funny.
I like him in Seeking a Friend for the End of the World too

Sent from mTalk

Toump Ass

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Melbourne
Arrival; now this is a quality sci-fi film, high concept premise, great acting, nice twists and turns and plenty of tension,
That Villeneuve guy who directed it is brilliant- Prisoners, Sicaro, Blade Runner, all top notch.

Looking forward to his Dune reboot.

Top Bottom