Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh and obviously my previous post referenced Tree of Life which the critics almost universally adored but I found it to be a steaming pile of crap, and made me almost wish I spent money on Transformers 3 instead (I didn't, it was terrible but would've enjoyed that more than Tree of Life).

What I dont understand is when people complain that only superhero movies reboots etc are made these days. The real complaint should be that the more serious or artistic movies arent advertised the same way, because if anything more of those movies are being made than ever. You just have to go looking for them a bit more but they really arent that hard to find.

What I dont understand is when people complain that only superhero movies reboots etc are made these days. The real complaint should be that the more serious or artistic movies arent advertised the same way, because if anything more of those movies are being made than ever. You just have to go looking for them a bit more but they really arent that hard to find.

Please tag me in then and alert me. I dont mind the odd Art House movie.. but not too weird if you know what i mean. There's only so much weird I can take..

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think the critics behaviour can be explained by the fact most of them see 4-6 movies a week at the cinema. When youre going non stop and its work rather than fun, anything that is different to the mass produced formulaic stuff is going to seem more amazing.

Think of it like eating pizza once a fortnight, but getting your pizza advice from a 6 nights a week foodie.

Youll be getting recommended nutella and prawn pizza just because it breaks up the monotony

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Please tag me in then and alert me. I dont mind the odd Art House movie.. but not too weird if you know what i mean. There's only so much weird I can take..

TBH most of them actually get mentioned in this thread so I dont even have to go looking for them. Or just keep an eye on whats playing at Cinema Nova and the like.

Perhaps, but in the end who am I to judge what others like?

If you want arthouse films by Terence Malick featuring dinosaurs, go for it. If you want Bad Boys meets Transformers in a Michael Bay explosion fest, enjoy yourself. But I do question whether critics unreasonably malign the latter while gushing over the former. Not everything has to be an artistic masterpiece and it just reeks of elitism when you denigrate those who might want to spend $10 to watch Bumblebee on the weekend for entertainment.
I get your point, but I do think there are still cases where critics praise "entertainment" films (to slightly contradict my last post).

The Marvel films are essentially a better Michael Bay film. Same story used over and over, big budgets, nonsensical action.

They just have a cohesive story and characters that appeal to people.

I consider them pretty unimaginative and bleh, but critics and the viewing public seem to agree in their love for them.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Critics also love big productions by big studios like Disney and the MCU. It's the theatre of theatre I reckon. It's like Gold Coast could play Fremantle in Cairns in a classic but if two big Vic teams do it at the G on the same day one of those games will get talked up more by the media.

Sent from mTalk

I get your point, but I do think there are still cases where critics praise "entertainment" films (to slightly contradict my last post).

The Marvel films are essentially a better Michael Bay film. Same story used over and over, big budgets, nonsensical action.

They just have a cohesive story and characters that appeal to people.

I consider them pretty unimaginative and bleh, but critics and the viewing public seem to agree in their love for them.

Yeah the Marvel films suffer the fatal flaw of knowing the protagonist always survives at the end, but the journey of how they get there is entertaining enough most of the time. Thor Ragnarok was one of the best movies I've seen in recent years and normally I'm ugh about them. Infinity War also certainly lived up to the hype and I think it deserves the near universal praise.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Perhaps, but in the end who am I to judge what others like?

If you want arthouse films by Terence Malick featuring dinosaurs, go for it. If you want Bad Boys meets Transformers in a Michael Bay explosion fest, enjoy yourself. But I do question whether critics unreasonably malign the latter while gushing over the former. Not everything has to be an artistic masterpiece and it just reeks of elitism when you denigrate those who might want to spend $10 to watch Bumblebee on the weekend for entertainment.
Critics often rate big budget movies well; Marvel gets good reviews generally, The Last Jedi, hell, John Wick got pretty great reviews. Big budget movies can be coherent, interesting and fun. But most aren’t.

As pointed out, critics watch many more movies than we do, they are judging it on its artistic merit and not whether is an easy way to while away two hours. So they are going to be harsher on dumbed down films that fill that gap.

Fixed it for you
I love this conspiracy theory. Critics are just lowly paid journos whose sole benefit is free movie tickets. And a bad review won’t get a reviewer from a major publication banned.

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Critics also love big productions by big studios like Disney and the MCU. It's the theatre of theatre I reckon. It's like Gold Coast could play Fremantle in Cairns in a classic but if two big Vic teams do it at the G on the same day one of those games will get talked up more by the media.

Sent from mTalk
They love them when they work. They regularly roast DC films and Marvel before it became what it is now.

I loved The Last Jedi and I loved The Tree of Life. Hate most of the action stuff like Fast and Furious. Thought Bohemian Rhapsody was enjoyable enough but a pretty average by-the-numbers film. Once you work out whether your tastes align with critics or not, you can decide whether they have value to you or not. Agreeing with them doesn't make you a film snob and disagreeing doesn't make you any less of a film fan.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Critics often rate big budget movies well; Marvel gets good reviews generally, The Last Jedi, hell, John Wick got pretty great reviews. Big budget movies can be coherent, interesting and fun. But most aren’t.

As pointed out, critics watch many more movies than we do, they are judging it on its artistic merit and not whether is an easy way to while away two hours. So they are going to be harsher on dumbed down films that fill that gap.

I love this conspiracy theory. Critics are just lowly paid journos whose sole benefit is free movie tickets. And a bad review won’t get a reviewer from a major publication banned.
I'm not saying they get punished when writing a bad review.. i'm saying they get paid to write a good review. As you said, they're just lowly paid journos. So when the Disney marketing team knocks on their door via an email and says we'll transfer you $1,000 for a good TFA review. They take it. No oathes in movie reviewing.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm not saying they get punished when writing a bad review.. i'm saying they get paid to write a good review. As you said, they're just lowly paid journos. So when the Disney marketing team knocks on their door via an email and says we'll transfer you $1,000 for a good TFA review. They take it. No oathes in movie reviewing.
"The way Rian Johnson subverted expectations by having the greatest Jedi ever grinning through a moutful of half-drunk mil from the breast of an alien space manatee was simply breathtaking and would have been humourous for the film's intended younger audience".

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I've worked in newspapers, that's genuinely nonsense. Star Wars/Marvel and the like are critic proof, Disney aren't going to waste money sending brown paper bags to no-name movie critics around the world.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I've worked in newspapers, that's genuinely nonsense. Star Wars/Marvel and the like are critic proof, Disney aren't going to waste money sending brown paper bags to no-name movie critics around the world.
They wouldn't in the past when they made actually good movies... when they decided to hire a moron and insult their fan base, responsive measures were taken.

They wouldn't in the past when they made actually good movies... when they decided to hire a moron and insult their fan base, responsive measures were taken.

TFA and TLF still made metric shitloads of money. Disney doesn't need to pay any critic off - it's f***ing Star Wars.

The opinions of a few hardcore fans here matter little - especially when they still pay good money on opening night anyway no matter what.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
TFA and TLF still made metric shitloads of money. Disney doesn't need to pay any critic off - it's f***ing Star Wars.

The opinions of a few hardcore fans here matter little - especially when they still pay good money on opening night anyway no matter what.
91% critic rating versus 45% audience score implies to me that there is something going on. What's more is that this isn't a technical film that could be "misunderstood" by the general public and appreciated only by film critics and officianadoes. TLJ is riddled with a host of unexplainable motiviations, plot holes, bloated narrative threads, cliches and linear story archs that any educated film critic would sit uneasily with. It's almost universal praise is counter-intuitive.

Additionally, the youtube critics who came out praising the film in the first few weeks absolutely had their palms greased, maybe not via direct debit but in other ways. Do you think youtube critics, the types of people who usually fan flames and ride the wave of fan uproarto boost their views (which is a trend seen in the alternative now with peopl ehating on the film) would support the film despite purely negative comments from their fans if there wasn't something in it for them.

You tell me but if you have a bad film (which it is categorically JackOutback dont @me) an audience which thinks its a bad film and a youtube reviewer wanting to boost that audience, why do they support the fim?

Now you may say they're being alternative to create drama and boost their views, as they say any press is good press. But why would those people then double down on their views in subseuent videos "defending" the visuals of the film and its "interesting take". Nup, greased up for sure.

91% critic rating versus 45% audience score implies to me that there is something going on. What's more is that this isn't a technical film that could be "misunderstood" by the general public and appreciated only by film critics and officianadoes. TLJ is riddled with a host of unexplainable motiviations, plot holes, bloated narrative threads, cliches and linear story archs that any educated film critic would sit uneasily with. It's almost universal praise is counter-intuitive.

Additionally, the youtube critics who came out praising the film in the first few weeks absolutely had their palms greased, maybe not via direct debit but in other ways. Do you think youtube critics, the types of people who usually fan flames and ride the wave of fan uproarto boost their views (which is a trend seen in the alternative now with peopl ehating on the film) would support the film despite purely negative comments from their fans if there wasn't something in it for them.

You tell me but if you have a bad film (which it is categorically JackOutback dont @me) an audience which thinks its a bad film and a youtube reviewer wanting to boost that audience, why do they support the fim?

Now you may say they're being alternative to create drama and boost their views, as they say any press is good press. But why would those people then double down on their views in subseuent videos "defending" the visuals of the film and its "interesting take". Nup, greased up for sure.

All of that dribble which doesn't address anything at all.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi made $1.3 billion worldwide. Of the movies since 2015, only TFA, Black Panther and Infinity War beat it out. Yes, it wasn't that good a film in my opinion but audiences watched it anyway. It's f***ing Star Wars. Why would critics need to be paid?

You probably still paid money to see it, yes? You just proved my point.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
So it was basically the same as the original films then?
Star Wars, while being a slightly basic film in contrast is a direct adaptation of the Hero with a 100o faces and therefore does not have unexplainable motiviations, bloated narrative threads or linear story arcs. While it may have some minor plotholes it certainly isn't a bad film. Are you suggesting it is?

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

I was referring to professional film critics, not any ol' nerd with a YouTube channel. And if you look at Metacritic's or Rotten Tomatoes' critical reviews, you'll see they do the same. So none of that is relevant. You could probably convince a Star Wars nerd to give it six out of five stars for a piece of cheap merchandise, but the critical reviews it received are legitimate.

There are plenty of movies with a wide discrepancy between critics and audiences (even if we ignore the possibility that there was at least some sort of concerted effort to downvote The Last Jedi in some quarters). You don't have to agree with critics, it's likely you are after something different to them, but it's not a "categorically bad film"; that's your opinion and it's absurd if you genuinely think it passes as fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back