Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

edgie

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Probably would have been better off releasing the movie first and then the doco a couple of weeks later. The order of the releases completely nullified their attempts at "is he innocent" angle. Sure anyone older than 45 knows who Ted Bundy is but putting the doco out early removes the film benefit (otherwise, you would aim to show what he did - not in a gratuitous way of course).
I heard the order of release is because they thought some might think they were romanticising him with the movie so they wanted to get it out the way that they definitely were not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Financialpanther

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I heard the order of release is because they thought some might think they were romanticising him with the movie so they wanted to get it out the way that they definitely were not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can understand that - simply, wouldn't it have been better off holding off until releasing the movie for a year or so.

sorted

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Geelong
Dragged across concrete.

Pretty good thriller about 2 cops (Mel Gibson/Vince Vaughn) who turn dirty for a big score but come up against some SERIOUS criminals.

7/10

The lack of theme music throughout makes every scene feel a little flat.
Other than that, action packed and very violent.
I liked a lot of things about Dragged Across Concrete. The plot, the characters, the casting, even the brutal violence. However at 2 hours 40 minutes long it was in need of a major edit. There were too many long winded dialog scenes and other unnecessary scenes - such as the bank employee and her baby. The last section of the movie was the best part of it but I suspect many people would not have made it that far.

Chism

AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cowboys, Pacers , HotSpurs ,Dodgers
Moderator #6,404
Watched " Only the Brave " last night on Netflix.

Totally blown away and what a fantastic film. I am a sucker for true stories that are tragic and i did know of the event that was the Yarnell Hill fire in 2013, but i still was not prepared for the ending that was heart wrenching and totally gave me a tear during the movies climax. :(

You get very involved with the characters ( which makes the ending worse IMO ) and Josh Brolin was excellent as always and is one of the most under rated male actors of today.

If you have not seen it you need to give it a serious look.

8/10.

chefmeister

Big Footy’s Best Dressed Cat
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
TMT
Watched " Only the Brave " last night on Netflix.

Totally blown away and what a fantastic film. I am a sucker for true stories that are tragic and i did know of the event that was the Yarnell Hill fire in 2013, but i still was not prepared for the ending that was heart wrenching and totally gave me a tear during the movies climax. :(

You get very involved with the characters ( which makes the ending worse IMO ) and Josh Brolin was excellent as always and is one of the most under rated male actors of today.

If you have not seen it you need to give it a serious look.

8/10.
Yeah this movie is great if very sad. True heroes and you’re simply not human if you don’t get a lump in your throat at the end.

chefmeister

Big Footy’s Best Dressed Cat
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
TMT
Pet Semetary - the remake. This wasn’t bad at all, in fact very good and possibly truer to the Stephen King story but I love the original.

I liked it the same as the Evil Dead remake. Is quite good but nothing will ever beat the original Evil Dead for me.

Very creepy, nice gore and high production.

Recommended for horror aficionados.

7/10

Chism

AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cowboys, Pacers , HotSpurs ,Dodgers
Moderator #6,407
Pet Semetary - the remake. This wasn’t bad at all, in fact very good and possibly truer to the Stephen King story but I love the original.

I liked it the same as the Evil Dead remake. Is quite good but nothing will ever beat the original Evil Dead for me.

Very creepy, nice gore and high production.

Recommended for horror aficionados.

7/10
I didn't mind it but the original totally beats it in every way.

I am going to watch " The Wailing " tonight on Netflix and it's reviews are sensational and i also like Sth Korean cinema which is making huge strides lately.

MC Bad Genius

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Sydney
Paddleton - a lowkey but incredibly moving film about two middle aged friends who meet later in life and deal with matters of life and death.

Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened - an incredible documentary about an insane series of events that will leave you gobsmacked in its audacity.

djrossie

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Enjoyed a couple of films on Netflix recently:

A Fortunate Man (2018): Danish period drama based on a great novel. Reminded me of the Daniel Deronda story. 7/10

Brawl on Cell Block 99 (2017): One of the more brutal movies you'll see. Liked Vince Vaughn in this. 7.5/10

AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Tottenham, Bucks
Shazam -

Forgettable and unremarkable are the two words that come to mind upon reflection. I didn't connect with any of the characters, the villain was generic and underwhelming and nothing that happened throughout the movie made me care about the outcome of the movie or the main character going forward. I think this would have been much more enjoyable if I was 14 which is out of place in the DC Universe they've built to this point.

5/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sketi

Club Legend
AFL Club
Sydney
Swiss Army Man: WTF. Have no idea what I just saw. Daniel Radcliffe plays a farting corpse that connects with a marooned, depressed man. Unique. 8.5/10.
Have only read / heard good things about this, but just can't get behind the premise when it comes down to the idea of actually watching it. Sounds grim hah.

Ocha905

Club Legend
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks & Stars, Liverpool
Have only read / heard good things about this, but just can't get behind the premise when it comes down to the idea of actually watching it. Sounds grim hah.
Some people would hate it because of it's ridiculousness but no-one could say they were bored. It gets pretty jovial in a delusional way so I wouldn't call it grim either. Probably best to watch when movies feel bit stale.

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
I have seen a few over a few weeks.

A Star is Born (1976). I love Kris Kristofferson. He is an amazing songwriter, political activist and a terrific actor. I have loved loads of Barbara Streisand films. I rate her very highly as an actress and while her music is not my cup of tea, I acknowledge she has a pretty great voice. Despite all that, this was garbage. Self indulgent, boring, 70s film making at it's overblown worst. 2/10.

A Star is Born (2018). A vast improvement on the 76 version. Brad Cooper as the director got the mix of drama, music, tension spot on. 2 great performances and the music was very good. Lukas Nelson is a very good song writer. 8.5/10

Shazam. Good fun, action packed, heartwarming super anti hero (if there is such a thing) movie. Based on the original Captain Marvel premise, Billy Batson gets magical powers bestowed upon him and he turns into a super hero. Much of the humour was very low brow which suited my 11 year old son, but it wasn't so silly that it would alienate adult viewers. 7/10
(I used to watch the original Captain Marvel shows at the cinema every Saturday morning back in England. We were in the ABC Cinema club and had to stand for the national anthem before each episode. It was incredibly kitsch and great fun.)
Adventures_of_Captain_Marvel_(1941_serial)_12.jpg

The Avengers. Endgame. I have not watched all of the Marvel superhero films. I quite enjoy them as a bit of light relief and really enjoyed Ironman in particular. I knew enough of the characters to have some idea what was going on. Enjoyable enough adventure film. Great effects, enough touching moments to draw me in. 8/10

SnakeMan86

Club Legend
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Orlando magic Baltimore Ravens
For me, best summed up by saying...
The first fart will make you laugh, the last one will make you cry.
I thought it was brilliant

GG.exe

Killer on the Road ™
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ravens-Raiders-Dolphins
I'm amazed I never saw this film until just now.

The 2007 film "THE MIST"

My god, this is a strong candidate for the greatest movie I've ever seen. The screenplay and acting is incredible. Be hard pressed to find better of both in another movie.

Holy **** this movie is beyond superlatives.

I think that'll be my IMDB review for this movie. No more can be said.

Quokka

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm amazed I never saw this film until just now.

The 2007 film "THE MIST"

My god, this is a strong candidate for the greatest movie I've ever seen. The screenplay and acting is incredible. Be hard pressed to find better of both in another movie.

Holy **** this movie is beyond superlatives.

I think that'll be my IMDB review for this movie. No more can be said.

Fantastic movie and,especially considering the budget, it holds up really strongly as one of King's better horror adaptions. Plus I am a big fan of Thomas Jane, just one of those actors that are so easy to watch in any role.

If you haven't already you will no doubt hear at some point how King never wrote that ending, it was changed for the movie.

But what I didn't hear about until not that long ago was another interesting fan theory that argues the deaths of the three people in the car were not in vain and that it was killing his own son that led to the end of the Mist.

Basically the religious older lady, Mrs Carmody, makes a lot of predictions during her rantings... only thing is they all come true (apparently, I haven't rewatched it since reading about the theory). Including her final prediction that the boy would have to be sacrificed if anyone was to be saved.

Here's a link to it in more details if anyone wants to read it. Though personally I still kind of favour the absolute gut wretching'ness of the atheist version.

GG.exe

Killer on the Road ™
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ravens-Raiders-Dolphins
Fantastic movie and,especially considering the budget, it holds up really strongly as one of King's better horror adaptions. Plus I am a big fan of Thomas Jane, just one of those actors that are so easy to watch in any role.

If you haven't already you will no doubt hear at some point how King never wrote that ending, it was changed for the movie.

But what I didn't hear about until not that long ago was another interesting fan theory that argues the deaths of the three people in the car were not in vain and that it was killing his own son that led to the end of the Mist.

Basically the religious older lady, Mrs Carmody, makes a lot of predictions during her rantings... only thing is they all come true (apparently, I haven't rewatched it since reading about the theory). Including her final prediction that the boy would have to be sacrificed if anyone was to be saved.

Here's a link to it in more details if anyone wants to read it. Though personally I still kind of favour the absolute gut wretching'ness of the atheist version.

Thomas Jane is fantastic. Only other thing I've seen him in is The Expanse TV show and that very first season with him leading the show was really what hooked me into that TV show. He's just got something about him, a natural likeability/connection.

And thanks ( :heart: )for that Spoilered info....very interesting stuff.

GG.exe

Killer on the Road ™
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ravens-Raiders-Dolphins
Fantastic movie

Just one problem with that theory....

There was ONE doubter still left who wasn't sacrificed....the store owner who was part of the original group that made a run for the van at the end. He got separated and returned to the store....but not because he became a believer, but simply because he got lost after all the mayhem outside and found himself at the store front.

Quokka

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thomas Jane is fantastic. Only other thing I've seen him in is The Expanse TV show and that very first season with him leading the show was really what hooked me into that TV show. He's just got something about him, a natural likeability/connection.

And thanks ( :heart: )for that Spoilered info....very interesting stuff.
The Mist will always be the first thing I think of with Thomas Jane but a few from before that; he was the great white hunter guy from The Deep Blue Sea. Dream-catcher was Stephen King again but not as strong a story and not as strong a movie either (straight to DVD I think), when you look back at it now it was a decent ensemble cast though. He also made a pretty good Punisher in what was from memory a pretty average Punisher film.

Lastly I only watched the first half a dozen episodes or so but I remember the TV series Hung started out pretty funny, a divorced and broke high school coach who kind of falls into male prostitution simply because he's, hung.

But each role is exactly like you say, he's got a natural likeability that makes it easy to buy into his characters.

Top Bottom