Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GreyCrow

Hall of Famer
Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Redskins , White Sox
American Assassin - Netflix

Taken from the Vince Flynn novels about Mitch Rapp

Best I can say is at least Tom Cruise didnt option this

Follows the basics of the novels but no real depth to the characters ( I can see this becoming a small franchise type and backstories will get filled out ) but ultimately an action/revenge movie that doesnt hit any great lows or highs

7/10

edgie

Hall of Famer
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I don't always agree with the internet on movies thinks is s**t anyway.

I do more often concur with it when they are average however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rod Stroker

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Toy Story 4.
Average. Certainly the weakest of the 4. Was OK but didn't have the laughs of the previous 3. There also wasn't much use of the supporting toys, which is probably why there weren't as many laughs.

PC nazis all over the production too; Indian looking dad with a chunky white female partner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

UnitedWarrior93

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
Toy Story 4.
Average. Certainly the weakest of the 4. Was OK but didn't have the laughs of the previous 3. There also wasn't much use of the supporting toys, which is probably why there weren't as many laughs.

PC nazis all over the production too; Indian looking dad with a chunky white female partner.
The original toys literally had no input, they were just background features. Woody and buzz also didn’t spent much time together. For me Toy Story ended with 3, this new one was good but you really have to isolate it from the other 3 movies to really appreciate it, and agree it’s the worst of them all.

Rod Stroker

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Stan & Ollie.
Based on the later years of Laurel and Hardy. I'd seen most of their stuff as a kid (like The Three Stooges, Marx Brothers, etc) so I was keen to see this. Wasn't bad, bit slow and flat in parts. Reilly and Coogan did a pretty job playing the lead actors, and bringing emotion to the roles.

Rod Stroker

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Gloria Bell.
I don't mind Julianne Moore, John Turturro, Michael Cera, and Brad Garrett in their own right, but this "comedy" was anything but. I found it quite boring, don't recall laughing, and couldn't get through it.

Rod Stroker

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Green Book. Very enjoyable road trip movie. It is certainly a Hollywood style telling of the story but it seems to ring true for the most part. Much of the criticism that has been levelled at the movie has been disproven by people that knew both men and it seems to be more accurate than it was initially given credit for. Either way, it is a well made film, terrific performances from the 2 main leads. Great music scenes. 8.5/10
Awesome movie. Ali did a great job tinkling the ivories.
For any Sorpranos fans, old man Carmine Luppertazi, was Tony Lip in real life!

Financialpanther

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
Hobbit
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Kill the Messenger - like most things (apart from comedies) Jeremy Renner did a good job as the lead, a journo who uncovered that dark allegiance where the CIA allowed the import of cocaine to fund the Contras in Nicaragua. Movie was ok noting i am not sure there was much they could do with the material to make it much better. 6/10

edgie

Hall of Famer
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fantastic 4 and Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer

Some pre-MCU comic movies. I remember these movies being rather ripped on at the time, but I found them perfectly reasonable. They are light, almost kids movies in a way, but again, it was before the 'dark and gritty reboot' phase of Hollywood (and from what I hear the dark and gritty reboot of this is even worse). The four main characters + Victor Von Doom all seem well cast though I admit to never reading the comics, and perform their roles well. There's good action, some of the effects have started to age but some still hold up, and yeah, just solid entertainment I guess from a more innocent time when these things were planned out to the ninth degree as part of 40 film franchises.

I'd say the first is a 7/10 and the second is a 7.5/10 as it doesn't suffer from origin movie tropes.

edgie

Hall of Famer
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Toy Story 4 would wanna be fantastic as I think it is completely unnecessary and suspect it's just a money making exercise given how perfectly 3 ended the series.

Forward Press

Premium Platinum
Jul 5, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd
Watched Toy Story 4 yesterday.

Probably below 1/2/3 but that's not anything to be ashamed of, the standard is incredibly high. We got closure for Andy in 3, well we get closure for others in 4. You can argue it's unnecessary but it's still damn good and worthy of the Pixar name. Lot of laugh out loud moments and a meaningful ending.

The animation is unreal, too. Almost at the point of photo-realism.

Not touching that one with a ten foot barge pole.

Top Bottom