Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

NSWCROW

TheBrownDog
Sep 16, 2006
NW SYNNEY
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
STURT - LIVERPOOL
SHAZAM!

Could've been so much more.
5/10

Liked the " bullets to the face - hahahaha you're dead " part and how he coaxed " Envy " out but apart from that , totally unremarkable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sorted

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Shaft

I loved Samuel L Jackson's portrayal of the original Shaft character in this. But the son as the millennial data analyst FBI agent was cringingly bad. I only got 40 minutes into it before giving up so I can't give a score.

raskolnikov

Premium Gold
Apr 1, 2002
Central Queensland
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Lions
I watched the original Last House on the Left last night. Released in 1972 this was cutting edge in horror and was heavily censored. However, from a 21st century perspective it is quite tame, and probably shows how the world, the first world at least, has become much more accustomed to depictions of violence. Episodes of CSI or Criminal Minds are more disturbing than this.

Financialpanther

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
Hobbit
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The man with an iron heart - ok movie about a truely horrific German officer but as much as they covered a back story, still pretty light on the why. Was interesting watching a movie that partway explores the side of the nazis and the story of the Czech assassins. 6/10

Mayestro

Premium Platinum
Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Border (2018), by the same writers that wrote Let The Right One In. Not quite as good as their previous effort, but has the same unsettling feel to it. Pretty weird. Low grade thriller. Would have been a 7/10, but an extra point for originality, so 8/10.

RAPPA

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
I see what you’re saying but Us did make $250m on a $20m budget. It’s a roaring financial success. We’ll see if his box office progressively gets lower.
From an advertising perspective, I think they did well. I found the preview very intriguing and think it drew many potential viewers in. But the movie was overly flat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MowShow

Club Legend
May 10, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Us.

Not good.

Was looking forward to this one as Get Out was fantastic.

Can see what Peele was trying to do but honestly, the writing was just not up to scratch on this one. Plot is riddled with inconsistencies that just do not make sense. Overall, the movie is executed about as well as it possibly could be given the plot at hand.

Financialpanther

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
Hobbit
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Saw the new Spiderman basically co-oped by my 12yr old son to watch it.

Not sure if its the fatigue in superhero movies but it was a bit meh. Not particularly exciting and the film had pacing issues. Watchable but pretty forgettable immediately after watching (5.5/10)

Bomberboyokay

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
The Temple, Boyle Heights
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Roosters, Mets
Booksmart - I'm always a bit of a sucker for coming of age movies but I thought this was pretty great. It is a bit cliched sometimes but mostly it's funny, charming and heartwarming. 8/10

BlakeyNoFlakey

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Yesterday (2019)

If something weird happened and suddenly the Beatles never existed and only you knew they did and knew all their songs, why wouldn't you pass them off as your own and make a mint. This is the tale of Yesterday, and an enjoyable story it is. The premise builds tension in the fact that the protagonist a UK/Indian called jack Malik is lauded as possibly the greatest songwriter to have ever lived. He has to deal with the fact these songs don't belong to him and I think the film does deal with this without resorting to clique sci fi plot developments. The love story sub plot is somewhat tedious though, and does resort to clique romcom plot points. My only other feeling about this film is the guy who played John Malik (Himesh Patel) was a pretty mediocre performer musically, and I don't think his versions of such popular Beatles hits really did them any justice. It was more akin to average karaoke than an artistic performance. But it is what it is. Overall, not a bad film but I feel somehow it missed the mark because Himesh Patel who plays Malik just doesn't carry it that well and the more I think about the story I feel they could've done so much better than this. 5/10

Last edited:

charcoalchicken

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
President of Terror Squad
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Raining and cold outside so a saturday afternoon movie at home was it.

The Perfection - I really enjoyed this movie, it was a lot fun of fun watching this, yes it gets a little silly but that's how it's supposed to be 7/10

MC Bad Genius

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Yesterday (2019)

If something weird happened and suddenly the Beatles never existed and only you knew they did and knew all their songs, why wouldn't you pass them off as your own and make a mint. This is the tale of Yesterday, and an enjoyable story it is. The premise builds tension in the fact that the protagonist a UK/Indian called jack Malik is lauded as possibly the greatest songwriter to have ever lived. He has to deal with the fact these songs don't belong to him and I think the film does deal with this without resorting to clique sci fi plot developments. The love story sub plot is somewhat tedious though, and does resort to clique romcom plot points. My only other feeling about this film is the guy who played John Malik (Himesh Patel) was a pretty mediocre performer musically, and I don't think his versions of such popular Beatles hits really did them any justice. It was more akin to average karaoke than an artistic performance. But it is what it is. Overall, not a bad film but I feel somehow it missed the mark because Himesh Patel who plays Malik just doesn't carry it that well and the more I think about the story I feel they could've done so much better than this. 5/10
Interesting take on it. I was totally the opposite around Himesh Patel's performance though. I didn't necessarily believe his acting all the time, but thought his renditions of the Beatles songs were really great. I particularly loved the version of Help on the rooftop of the hotel down by the beach.

edgie

Hall of Famer
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Passengers

Wow. I was always interested in seeing this, so when it was on telly just as the baby decided to nap it was a great convenience. I was really enjoying for 95% of things too, up until the ending, that left me feeling like we wasted a few lucky hours on that s**t. It was awful, which is disappointing because everything up til then was quite solid.

6/10

edgie

Hall of Famer
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
It was well made and interesting with charismatic actors, but in the very end it turned out to be not only abysmally plain and safe, but also nonsensical and illogical.

Top Bottom