Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

MC Bad Genius

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
The Sting (1973) - A classic I hadn't gotten around to watching until last night, it's easily understandable why so many people loved this film. The basic gist is that Hooker (Robert Redford) wants to pull a big con as revenge for a mafia boss killing his mentor, so enlists the help of a master conman (Paul Newman) to get it done. It's a predecessor to movies like Ocean's Eleven (and Brad Pitt is almost identical to this era Redford!) and maybe suffers a little bit because the story is a bit too easy to follow and predict, even though there are a bunch of narratives layered on top of one another. But it still stands up as an incredibly enjoyable watch and definitely one I'd recommend friends to watch. 7/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cruyff14

TheBrownDog
Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Collateral Beauty - Very heavy, but a great film with a great cast. Will Smith, Meryl Streep, Keira Knightley, Edward Norton

The Hitman's Bodyguard - a lot of fun. Reynolds and Jackson worked so well in tandem and you could see the chemistry. Plenty of action and plenty of laughs.

Kirby

This man is confused
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Avengers: Endgame -- It was enjoyable in parts but went on way too long. The middle where they break up into teams on their quests just dragged on. I liked fat/drunk Thor. Didn't like the weird hybrid Hulk. The cast was way too big and consequently the film felt like a montage. It also had way too many "endings" and goodbyes....jeez enough already. It was entertaining at times so I'll be generous and give it a 7/10.

sorted

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Avengers: Endgame -- It was enjoyable in parts but went on way too long. The middle where they break up into teams on their quests just dragged on. I liked fat/drunk Thor. Didn't like the weird hybrid Hulk. The cast was way too big and consequently the film felt like a montage. It also had way too many "endings" and goodbyes....jeez enough already. It was entertaining at times so I'll be generous and give it a 7/10.
You may have missed the dedicated thread on this movie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
The Sting (1973) - A classic I hadn't gotten around to watching until last night, it's easily understandable why so many people loved this film. The basic gist is that Hooker (Robert Redford) wants to pull a big con as revenge for a mafia boss killing his mentor, so enlists the help of a master conman (Paul Newman) to get it done. It's a predecessor to movies like Ocean's Eleven (and Brad Pitt is almost identical to this era Redford!) and maybe suffers a little bit because the story is a bit too easy to follow and predict, even though there are a bunch of narratives layered on top of one another. But it still stands up as an incredibly enjoyable watch and definitely one I'd recommend friends to watch. 7/10
I would be giving this a 10/10.

Big call to say it's easy to predict. I would say the twist at the end (The Sting) is one of the greatest in movie history.

Sonny Bonds

Debutant
Jul 21, 2019
Lytton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Bleed For This (Netflix): Decent boxing movie that tells the true story of Vinnie Paz who came back from serious injury to reclaim several titles. The movie isn't an award winning blockbuster but I'm really enjoying the rise of Miles Teller. Enjoyed him in Whiplash.

Bomberboyokay

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
Live from Here
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Roosters, Mets, West Ham, NY Giants

edgie

Hall of Famer
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Pain and Gain

(not a great cover, doesn't represent the colourfulness and humour of the film)

Little bit of a different flick from Michael Bay. I didn't know it was him (but suspected due to a few familiar camera angles) until the credits rolled. Something of a black comedy crime film loosely inspired by true events. Bumbling body builders attempt to extort a wealthy client and get ahead of themselves. Marky Mark does well as usual with his mix of comic timing and ego driven drama, the guy from the MCU does ok even if he really doesn't look the part. It's great to see The Rock outside of his usual family friendly PG fare and he's good too. Tony Shalhoub as the primary victim and Ed Harris as his pirvate eye round out the main players.

I think what got me the most was the tone. There's a bright colourful style about the movie that makes it easy to watch, with humourous captions throughout. It definitely starts in a more comedic way, but about halfway through it shifts and becomes more black. There's no more redeeming charismatic goofiness to the characters, they all become awful. You may still laugh at their bumbling ways but as a whole everything become heavier and more confronting. I think that is what stuck with me the most and why the fillum left a lasting impression. It becomes difficult to watch. Reading about the real life case, the victim (Kershaw as named in the movie) was arrested directly following testifying at the court case for an unrelated fraud matter. I think this should have been included in the film since the second half did need a little bit more levity and as it is the ending it quite sudden and a little flat. Like my writing.

7/10

Last edited:

fpcookie

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 9, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Once upon a time in Hollywood - pretty good as you'd expect from QT. Quite different to his usual fare apart from maybe act 3 which reverts to type (in a great way). Definitely not a favourite of his but still good none the less. 7/10

Asapartyhat

Hat wearer
Apr 25, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
stirling senators
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - great movie.I left the theatre glad that Tarantino has refused to grow up or develop some sort of maturity.Seriously joyous creative energy fun.Had a few spots that might seem a bit flat to some People and some long complex scenes that dont seem to have much connection with the storyline.I thought Di Caprio carried those scenes and he is very good in this movie.I liked everything about it myself.Lots of west coast nostalgia trip,very relatable if you live in a west coast city with little to no connection to anywhere else.Lots of driving around in awesome cars with music just a little bit to Loud ! The soundtrack is all pre 1970 am radio playlist. 8.5 /10

Last edited:

Top Bottom