Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

sorted

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Tend to do my 'serious movie' watching alone. If people are walking in and out or banging around in a kitchen it's f’ed.
Same. I thought I would pick a quiet time to watch Once Upon A Time In Hollywood so I rocked up to the 11am showing at the local Village. Only to be told at the ticket office that it was the Mums n Bubs session! Thought I'd got away with it but after all the ads five mums showed up with prams. The lights were turned up and the babies cried from time to time but having kids myself it didn't bother me too much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shell

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Same. I thought I would pick a quiet time to watch Once Upon A Time In Hollywood so I rocked up to the 11am showing at the local Village. Only to be told at the ticket office that it was the Mums n Bubs session! Thought I'd got away with it but after all the ads five mums showed up with prams. The lights were turned up and the babies cried from time to time but having kids myself it didn't bother me too much.
Yeah i thought Toy Story like weeks and weeks after its release (weekday day sesh too) was safe. It was not.

Bomberboyokay

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Sep 27, 2014
Live from Here
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
NRL Premiers Roosters, West Ham NYG
Brightburn.

What if Superman were evil? Good concept but poorly executed. Also, if Superman were evil he would take out whole cities, not just the odd person.

Toump Ass

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 14, 2015
TOUMPASSO LAND
AFL Club
Melbourne
This is the "What's the last movie you saw" thread, not the "What's the last movie you saw that you've searched for and doesn't have it's own thread already" thread.

I don't want to read a discussion about a film, I just want a logline and a score out of ten for what people have seen.

Sketi

Club Legend
Jun 24, 2011
depreston
AFL Club
Sydney
Midsommar.

I liked it. Kind of a surreal experience being in a theatre for 2 and a half hours watching a horror movie shot mainly in the daytime, it's set in summertime Sweden where it's only dark for 2 hours a day. There's a few try hard "weird" moments which had the cinema pi**ing themselves laughing, at times hard to tell if we were laughing at or with. But some really well made scenes as well. If that hippy pagan horror kinda stuff interests you definitely check it out.

P.s: bigfooty censors "pi**ing" lol

crafty_bernardo

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The trailer looked very uninspired.

A poor way to go out for the Fox X-Men series it seems. Not sure I'll bring myself to watch it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I read the Fox acquisition by Disney sabotaged the film. But I doubt it.

Even the Quicksilver and Nightwing sequence fell well short of anything entertaining. Was a waste of a fairly decent Hans Zimmer score however.

Probably best to give it a miss edgie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

edgie

Hall of Famer
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I read the Fox acquisition by Disney sabotaged the film. But I doubt it.

Even the Quicksilver and Nightwing sequence fell well short of anything entertaining. Was a waste of a fairly decent Hans Zimmer score however.

Probably best to give it a miss edgie

Hans Zimmer has me interested. I rewatch the Amazing Spider-Man movies for his score in them. Brilliant. Strange enough I don't rate most of his more renowned works (Dark Knight, Inception, etc).

crafty_bernardo

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hans Zimmer has me interested. I rewatch the Amazing Spider-Man movies for his score in them. Brilliant. Strange enough I don't rate most of his more renowned works (Dark Knight, Inception, etc).

I liked his Inception stuff back in the day, but it hasn't aged well. His Amazing Spider-Man work and BvS collab with Junkie XL are probably his best comic book work. Dunkirk and Interstellar are amazing too.

Shell

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Finally saw A Star is Born. Liked it, didn't love it. And yeah obviously could pick what would happen at the end, within the first 10 minutes of the film.. still very enjoyable and yes, was in tears at the end. 7.5/10

Five Feet Apart. Actually not bad, very similar type of film to The Fault in our Stars. 6/10

edgie

Hall of Famer
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I liked his Inception stuff back in the day, but it hasn't aged well. His Amazing Spider-Man work and BvS collab with Junkie XL are probably his best comic book work. Dunkirk and Interstellar are amazing too.
Most of his Nolan scores lack central themes, memorable themes to me. They are great at building tension and action and atmosphere, but I would never catch myself humming one like I would say, Pirates of Caribbean or Days of Thunder.

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
Kes. Remains one of my favourite films of all time. It was on Amazon which we had subscribed to to watch Fleabag so I took advantage and showed my son.

Thick Yorkshire accents with the captions half translating rather than being a clear copy of what they were saying.

The football scene with Brian Glover teaching is one of my favourite scenes ever.

Never knew that Colin Welland who plays the decent teacher that takes an interest in Billy Casper's welfare wrote the screenplay for Chariots of Fire and won an Oscar for it.

10/10

Last edited:

sorted

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I remember driving down the highway one night hitting the scan button on my radio when some amazing classical music came up. I thought it was from the Holst Planet suite but it was part of the Gladiator soundtrack by Zimmer.

'Hans Zimmer Live' is doing 3 dates in Australia in October. I don't know how much involvement Zimmer has, if any. I'm going to skip it as it seems they will be focusing on the lightweight stuff like Blue Planet, Spiderman, Pirates of The Caribbean, and Lion King.

Last edited:

edgie

Hall of Famer
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I remember driving down the highway one night hitting the scan button on my radio when some amazing classical music came up. I thought it was from the Holst Planet suite but it was part of the Gladiator soundtrack by Zimmer. The John Williams soundtrack for Star Wars also owes a big debt to the Holst chords and ostinato style.

'Hans Zimmer Live' is doing 3 dates in Australia in October. I don't know how much involvement Zimmer has, if any. I'm going to skip it as it seems they will be focusing on the lightweight stuff like Blue Planet, Spiderman, Pirates of The Caribbean, and Lion King.

fu** yeah, Spiderman and Lion King.

From the promotional material I have seen his Christopher Nolan scores are advertised the heaviest.

Toump Ass

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 14, 2015
TOUMPASSO LAND
AFL Club
Melbourne

Body Melt (1993)
Ripper Ozploitation/schlock horror featuring d-grade Australian "celebrities" Lisa McCuane and one of the Daddos. Residents of an outer suburb of Geelong are pumped full an experimental drug that turns them into balls of snot. Killer special effects, tasteless jokes, racist stereotypes, cannibal rednecks in footy jumpers killing kangaroos and getting high on the adrenal glands. Aussie birds with their jugs out AND full frontal male nudity. Naive early 90's Australian techno soundtrack. Pointless gore. Heaps of foul language. Harold from Neighbours (playing a psychopath). Think early Peter Jackson meets Fat Pizza, (yep, it's that good) 10/10
Where do you manage to see these films Toump Ass? A lot of them sound like movies i would enjoy buy not on netflix etc as a lot of them seem pretty obscure
Hey mate, if you (or anyone else) is still keen on checking this out, it's streaming on SBS on Demand for some Ozploitation thing going on at the the moment :)

Top Bottom