Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Arrow

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Renegades, Vics
The Vault (2017)

The Vault Poster Trailer

6/10. Bank robbers rob a haunted bank. Good for a jump horror movie, the final twist you can see coming a mile off though.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
That's true, but for the well known characters Superman and Batman. I think the direction and style DC took that's probably as far as you could go.
The DCU films are stuck in a limbo. They want to be darker/more adult, but also want to market them at kids so they can sell more merch.

As you suggested, a deeper dive in to the backstories and motivations of villains is such a cool concept that should be considered exploring.

Feb 16, 2010
President of Terror Squad
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
MoS and BvS are dark, gritty comic book film's as you can get.

But audiences criticised them for being too dark and going against the etho's of the character.

*Joker was created under DC Black Label. I would love for them to explore Two-Faced and Black Mask origins.
Nah the audience criticised them because they were s**t movies

Death at a funeral

starring- Chris Rock, Kevin Hart, Danny Glover, Martin Lawrence, James Marsden, Zoe Saldana, Luke Wilson, Peter Dinklage, Regina Hall & Tracy Morgan

As good a cast as you will see. That is the only compliment I can give this steaming pile of s**t. I think I may have chuckled once, it really was a terribly unfunny and quite annoying movie

2.5/10

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Joker.

Into my top 5 of all time with a bullet. Haven't had that much of a physical response to a movie in about half a decade. Probably longer.
Already planning to go and see it again which I haven't done for a cinema film since I was teenager.

I'm still amazed a studio ticked off on this script. It's so dark for a character that could appeal to children (ie. easier to make more money through marketing etc). Couldn't be happier for how it turned it.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Are good movies becoming rare? The odd good one comes around, but not like the 80's and 90's.

I don't know there's still plenty of interesting movies being made and there was no shortage of rubbish movies in the 80s and 90s, we tend to remember the good, the great and the shockingly bad ones. The vast majority ranging from underwhelming down to rubbish tend to be forgotten.

American Animals - Half doco/half film. Which I thought worked for this film with the way they worked in the real people.

True story about of group of college students that plan an art heist. A bit slow at the beginning but then I got really into it.
Ending was a bit anti-climactic but worth a watch still.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
American Animals - Half doco/half film. Which I thought worked for this film with the way they worked in the real people.

True story about of group of college students that plan an art heist. A bit slow at the beginning but then I got really into it.
Ending was a bit anti-climactic but worth a watch still.
I enjoyed this one. Really interesting story it’s based on.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
Are good movies becoming rare? The odd good one comes around, but not like the 80's and 90's.
No way. There’s brilliant films made every year it’s just the average cinema goer only sees the commercial/blockbuster films because many of those great films are foreign or shown at indie/Arthouse cinemas

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I just looked through my movie ratings on IMDB and of the 638 movies I've rated, there are 43 movies that I gave either a 9 or 10 to. I've broken them down by decade:

10s - 9
00s - 17
90s - 11
80s - 5
70s - 1
Pre-70s - 0

So for me at least, there's still been a stack of great movies since the turn of the century. If I was to include 8s in that breakdown (which I'd still consider very good films), it would be even more heavily weighted towards films in the past 20 years.

10s - 36
00s - 44
90s - 25
80s - 13
70s - 3
Pre-70s - 1

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I just looked through my movie ratings on IMDB and of the 638 movies I've rated, there are 43 movies that I gave either a 9 or 10 to. I've broken them down by decade:

10s - 9
00s - 17
90s - 11
80s - 5
70s - 1
Pre-70s - 0

So for me at least, there's still been a stack of great movies since the turn of the century. If I was to include 8s in that breakdown (which I'd still consider very good films), it would be even more heavily weighted towards films in the past 20 years.

10s - 36
00s - 44
90s - 25
80s - 13
70s - 3
Pre-70s - 1
Out of curiosity, what was the one movie pre 80s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back