Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doom: Annihilation (2019)

Follows a group of UAC Marines as they respond to a distress call from a top secret scientific base on Phobos, a Martian moon, only to discover it's been overrun by demons who threaten to create Hell on Earth. This movie surprisingly doesn't suck. Sure it's cliche and we've seen it all before, but the production values and the special effects are quite well done. They really spent some money on this. I loved the Aussie marine because sometimes his comments had me thinking, 'This is exactly what an Aussie would say at a moment like this.' Even though, the Aussie character turns out to be a bit of dick. I kind of felt this was an Australian production, or made here anyway. This is a decent popcorn flick to watch at home. Not one you'd see in the cinema. 6/10

Have no idea this existed. Is it better than The Rock one which was basically turned it into a zombie flick in space instead of the demons?

Zombieland: Double Tap.

Thought it was great. Entertaining and felt it was a little lighter than the first one. More comedy focused but immensely enjoyable. If you liked the first, you will like this.

Give this a 7.5/10.

Good summary. I preferred the first one but this one was pretty funny though.

Are good movies becoming rare? The odd good one comes around, but not like the 80's and 90's.

They certainly are. Was thinking this tonight, my top ten movies of this year would probably have an average of about 7/10.

Everything is either a franchise or some niche slice of life indie that are dramatically and conceptually flat. Not enough fun and creativity anymore.

There are still quality films out there but you have to wade through a lot of bloated indies to find them.

They certainly are. Was thinking this tonight, my top ten movies of this year would probably have an average of about 7/10.

Everything is either a franchise or some niche slice of life indie that are dramatically and conceptually flat. Not enough fun and creativity anymore.

There are still quality films out there but you have to wade through a lot of bloated indies to find them.
It mirrors the music industry. You have rooms of songwriters spending 8 hours trying to write a hit and then their day is done. There is no complexity to pop music these days. There is no time and effort because it's completely disposable. And unmemorable.

Anyway, went and watched Joker today at the cinema. I appreciate the performance from Joaquin, but I found it stale and bland and I dont get the hype. An hour in I could have fallen asleep. Maybe I just didnt get the vibe of the film.

I was hugely disappointed and found myself just wanting it to end.

If this is the peak of popular film in 2019 then I am looking and reading the wrong stuff.

5/10

A Star is Born

I don't get the hype. Gaga was average. Cooper was quite good. The movie ran about 20 minutes too long. Almost every scene felt 30 seconds too long. And then, just pointless scenes, like the discussion about small socks. The juxtaposition of their careers was not engaging and his decline in to his vices felt rushed. Really boring overall, except maybe for the Grammy scene.

4/10

Watched 'Get out' good build up but turned the wrong way... Like dusk till dawn it had a twist but instead of getting Good it just went wrong and died a death...

On AW said (sorry cannot recall famous directors name) said "comic movies are not cinema" and then laid the boots into them saying they are a load of s**t.

I tend to agree :)

More to do with the amount that seems to be out there. Like ffs make something else once in awhile..

It mirrors the music industry. You have rooms of songwriters spending 8 hours trying to write a hit and then their day is done. There is no complexity to pop music these days. There is no time and effort because it's completely disposable. And unmemorable.

Anyway, went and watched Joker today at the cinema. I appreciate the performance from Joaquin, but I found it stale and bland and I dont get the hype. An hour in I could have fallen asleep. Maybe I just didnt get the vibe of the film.

I was hugely disappointed and found myself just wanting it to end.

If this is the peak of popular film in 2019 then I am looking and reading the wrong stuff.

5/10

Yeah im not going to bother with Joker. Hustlers (which got an average review the other day) and Judy are ones on my list.

Watched 'Get out' good build up but turned the wrong way... Like dusk till dawn it had a twist but instead of getting Good it just went wrong and died a death...
I loved that film. I normally hate "scary" films, but this was the exception. While I still didn't enjoy the adrenaline that comes with the tension and shocks, I missed it once the twist was revealed and the movie went into a different direction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I loved that film. I normally hate "scary" films, but this was the exception. While I still didn't enjoy the adrenaline that comes with the tension and shocks, I missed it once the twist was revealed and the movie went into a different direction.
Just feel it's missing something... The whole plot just didn't sit right with me.

On AW said (sorry cannot recall famous directors name) said "comic movies are not cinema" and then laid the boots into them saying they are a load of s**t.

I tend to agree :)

More to do with the amount that seems to be out there. Like ffs make something else once in awhile..

It was Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppala after him. I both agree and disagree. Agree with their point that cinema should be about the human experience, but I disagree that superhero films can't achieve that. Allegory is a perfectly fine method of story telling. Whether a film executes that is another thing entirely.

I also think that the problem isn't with Superhero films but that absence of quality elsewhere. It's all slice of life indie films of the same flavour.

It was Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppala after him. I both agree and disagree. Agree with their point that cinema should be about the human experience, but I disagree that superhero films can't achieve that. Allegory is a perfectly fine method of story telling. Whether a film executes that is another thing entirely.

I also think that the problem isn't with Superhero films but that absence of quality elsewhere. It's all slice of life indie films of the same flavour.
I thought Kareem Abdul-Jabbar had the best comments (who knew he had written for Marvel), including...

"Director Martin Scorsese’s claim to Empire magazine that Marvel films aren’t "cinema" is like saying the novel Fifty Shades of Grey isn’t "literature." He’s technically wrong — but he’s culturally right."

"Scorsese wasn’t denigrating Marvel films so much as making a distinction between High Art (an accurate but cringe-worthy term) that we might see in a museum or featured on NPR, and regular everyday art that we might see on our T-shirts and tattoos. Scorsese is stating the obvious: Rembrandt’s The Storm on the Sea of Galilee is not on the same level as Coolidge’s Dogs Playing Poker, no matter how much those dogs make us smile."

"Marvel films have made me laugh, cry, jump, agonize and almost always leave the theater feeling lighter and more satisfied than when I went in. And that’s not nothing. But it’s also not everything. With Marvel melodrama we feel better. With High Art, we are wiser."

Scorsese was fine with is initial comments.

When he went on about it he started to just sound pissed that no studio wanted to produce or put The Irishman in theatres. I wanna see it but the larger audience prob just isnt there so too risky especially with that budget.

Coppola is suffering from selective memory though, acting as though shallow movies havent always existed. Not that all the Marvel movies are shallow.

I thought Kareem Abdul-Jabbar had the best comments (who knew he had written for Marvel), including...

"Director Martin Scorsese’s claim to Empire magazine that Marvel films aren’t "cinema" is like saying the novel Fifty Shades of Grey isn’t "literature." He’s technically wrong — but he’s culturally right."

"Scorsese wasn’t denigrating Marvel films so much as making a distinction between High Art (an accurate but cringe-worthy term) that we might see in a museum or featured on NPR, and regular everyday art that we might see on our T-shirts and tattoos. Scorsese is stating the obvious: Rembrandt’s The Storm on the Sea of Galilee is not on the same level as Coolidge’s Dogs Playing Poker, no matter how much those dogs make us smile."

"Marvel films have made me laugh, cry, jump, agonize and almost always leave the theater feeling lighter and more satisfied than when I went in. And that’s not nothing. But it’s also not everything. With Marvel melodrama we feel better. With High Art, we are wiser."

This is such a great, measured response. I feel like it could be instantly transferable to any form of art vs entertainment debate. I like him even more now (and I already loved him for his role in Flying High and how good his hook shot was as an unlockable player in NBA Live '96)!

Last edited:
Extra Ordinary (2019)

In an Irish town you call Rose, the driving instructor, if you have ghost problems. Martin's deceased wife bothers him, so he calls Rose, who's single. A levitating daughter makes him call again.

Now the trailer to this had me excited for this Irish comedy, but the actual movie proved to be somewhat of a disappointment. The best bits it seems are in the trailer. As I realized Will Forte of SNL fame was playing the antagonist I knew this film was doomed. It's a quaint film with some kooky and sometimes amusing jokes. The best part ended up being the deceased wife possessed Martin (Barry Ward). 5/10

Last edited:

This overlooks 'low art' (my term) movies were around before 2008. The Marvel stuff has made what gets a pass mark in that group lower. The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean (pre-4th movie nobody asked for) and other well received big budget did not operate on the level of dumb and illogic the MCU does, let alone turn that into a IT'S FUN! shield.

Last edited:
The Nice Guys

Film noir to an extent, with subtle comedic elements. Despite the fact that my missus loves Ryan Gosling he really is excellent at playing the semi goofy sidekick to a straightman. I do like movies with cleverly intertwined character plots.

7/10
Very strange movie

I don't disagree with what they are saying bout MCU movies, let's be honest truly poignant and emotional moments are few and far between and belong almost exclusively to the Guardians of the Galaxy movies/characters in my opinion.

But, I do disagree with the notion that movies that are fun and entertaining is a bad thing and not true film making? You telling me those guys have never had a scene or two of levity, action or humour in their films? Even if they believe they back it up with a better story?

Sure, MCU might be a theme park, but I'd rather go to a theme park than a funeral.

I'd rather go to a pub or rock concert than either of those though and that's where my proper, favourite, adult targeted MA and R action films come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back