Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just about MCU and other superhero films being trashy lightweight cinema, it's that there are so bloody many of these films these days flooding the cinema market which makes it hard for better quality original films to get a look in. Just because these films are profitable due to so many fanboy morons willing to see them all, regardless of quality, it doesn't make it a good thing for cinema overall. Back 20 or 30 years ago there used to be the odd superhero film but now they just churn them out relentlessly every year to the point where they have become meaningless, repetitive formulaic trash.

It's even started happening with Star Wars films with them milking that franchise for all it's worth now with sequels, prequels and spinoffs, the original Stars Wars trilogy was special because it was a one off trilogy with one film every few years but the newer Star Wars films that come out yearly now have become almost as meaningless and monotonous as superhero films.

Every big budget superhero movie is a big budget something else movie that won't get made.

Just because these films are profitable due to so many fanboy morons willing to see them all, regardless of quality, it doesn't make it a good thing for cinema overall. Back 20 or 30 years ago there used to be the odd superhero film but now they just churn them out relentlessly every year to the point where they have become meaningless, repetitive formulaic trash.

Some of the fan reviews are astonishing until you remember they're people rating them because it reminds them of a comic or graphic novel they read. They're not viewing it as a movie. They want their fanboi boxes checked. Fanboys are cretins who value branding over substance.

Last edited:
Trend is probably irreversible as (a) cinemas are in terminal decline; and (b) superhero fans are core to the dwindling number of people who'll fork out $25 to go and put up with strangers drinking 2L of pepsi, eating half a pizza and playing on their phone

It's not just about MCU and other superhero films being trashy lightweight cinema, it's that there are so bloody many of these films these days flooding the cinema market which makes it hard for better quality original films to get a look in. Just because these films are profitable due to so many fanboy morons willing to see them all, regardless of quality, it doesn't make it a good thing for cinema overall. Back 20 or 30 years ago there used to be the odd superhero film but now they just churn them out relentlessly every year to the point where they have become meaningless, repetitive formulaic trash.

It's even started happening with Star Wars films with them milking that franchise for all it's worth now with sequels, prequels and spinoffs, the original Stars Wars trilogy was special because it was a one off trilogy with one film every few years but the newer Star Wars films that come out yearly now have become almost as meaningless and monotonous as superhero films.
Episode 7 killed star wars for me.

Trend is probably irreversible as (a) cinemas are in terminal decline; and (b) superhero fans are core to the dwindling number of people who'll fork out $25 to go and put up with strangers drinking 2L of pepsi, eating half a pizza and playing on their phone
Swings and roundabouts. TV was supposed to kill cinema, now streaming. There’s no doubt less people are going to the movies now, so studios have latched on to the best chance of success: established franchises with a hardcore base and nostalgia (since boomers and gen X-ers have the money).

But there’s still something to be said for the size, sound and sometimes 3D of cinema. People will still go, we just need a studio bold enough to kick off the next fad.

Episode 7 killed star wars for me.

The Force Awakens was the last Stars Wars film I saw at the cinema, it had the nostalgia factor of seeing old characters like Han Solo and Chewbacca returning but the plot was just a ripoff of earlier Star Wars films so it was mostly pretty dull. I haven't bothered seeing any of the other Star Wars films since then.

The Force Awakens is the last Star Wars movie I've seen (or Rogue if that came out later) I'm not actively avoiding the movies since I just don't have any enthusiasm for them. I keep saying I'll watch them at some point but each time I decide to watch a movie I pick something else.

I think a similar thing will happen with superhero movies and for a lot of people it already is, the fatigue is setting in.

Last edited:
The Force Awakens was the last Stars Wars film I saw at the cinema, it had the nostalgia factor of seeing old characters like Han Solo and Chewbacca returning but the plot was just a ripoff of earlier Star Wars films so it was mostly pretty dull. I haven't bothered seeing any of the other Star Wars films since then.
images (31).jpeg

I like the marvel films and I think the way they have done it has allowed for them to grow so big ie having a shared universe. I know they aren’t necessarily incredibly high caliber films, but I go into them knowing what I want and what it’s gonna be.

there’s far worse trash out there that gets mainstream sessions such as Angel has Fallen etc

The Force Awakens is the last Star Wars movie I've seen (or Rogue if that came out later) I'm not actively avoiding the movies since I just don't have any enthusiasm for them. I keep saying I'll watch them at some point but each time I decide to watch a movie I pick something else.

I think a similar thing will happen with superhero movies and for a lot of people it already is, the fatigue is setting in.

The Force Awakens was a nostalgic redo of the 1977 movie. Rogue One was a nostalgia run of peripheral stuff: ships and whatever had been toys in the 70s and 80s).

The Last Jedi tried to be a Marvel movie and that's where they lost people. Solo couldn't make a profit.

Watched point break again.

Not reeves best role. Playing the sort of person he doesn't agree with.

Not enough emphasis on the other characters, or ex presidents. Bodie didn't think like the alpha male he was made out to be. Severe character flaw.

It would be interesting to know who he studied to play that role, he didn't talk about it in his book.

Watched point break again.

Not reeves best role. Playing the sort of person he doesn't agree with.

Not enough emphasis on the other characters, or ex presidents. Bodie didn't think like the alpha male he was made out to be. Severe character flaw.

It would be interesting to know who he studied to play that role, he didn't talk about it in his book.
I only watched it for the first time fairly recently and I have no idea why people love it so much. I mean, Busey is always fun to watch, but the movie isn't very good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only watched it for the first time fairly recently and I have no idea why people love it so much. I mean, Busey is always fun to watch, but the movie isn't very good.
It's kind like the Independence Day paradox - a significant box office smash that really wasn't very good but it built such cultural and nostalgic momentum that the quality is largely overlooked.

I like the marvel films and I think the way they have done it has allowed for them to grow so big ie having a shared universe. I know they aren’t necessarily incredibly high caliber films, but I go into them knowing what I want and what it’s gonna be.

there’s far worse trash out there that gets mainstream sessions such as Angel has Fallen etc

This is where Pluggers comments about them being formulaic comes in. They know what works, from the marketing and trailers to the story structure and characters. You know there'll be action pieces, you know there'll be a s**t ton of bathos and lame jokes, and an attempt to build some faux emotional relationship with the viewer. Repeat the process and slap a new skin with whoever the main character is.
Granted there are some exceptions but for the most part, these movies follow a common structure because it has proved to be successful.

I think this is what Scorsese was referring to - they aren't really masterpieces of cinema (not that they were ever meant to be), but sometimes it feels more akin to a company releasing a new product every year. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy it though.

Blinded by the light.

Really like the story in that it was all about Javed and his issues dealing with family, school, racism, work..etc, and not about Bruce Springsteen. Dont get me wrong, I love Bruce. But its more about the words in the songs that Javed relates.

Quite amazing that Sarfraz Manzoor (who the story is about) has seen Bruce over 150 times.

8/10

Judy

Renee Zellweger nailed it, down to the slump in the shoulders and the way Garland held her mouth. Not a warm and fuzzy movie but I did appreciate watching it....a helluva lot more than the old man next to me, who fell asleep in the first scene and woke up for the last :tearsofjoy:
8.5/10

Looking forward to that myself. She is a truly great actress.

Point Break is outstanding. No idea how people don't love it. One of the very best action movies of it's era. Better than Die Hard anyway.

Point Break

MV5BMTgxMjM0MTk1MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDkyMDgxMQ@@._V1_.jpg

What a classic. Every now and then a simple action flick rises above the rest to become a cultural staple of awesome. Die Hard is probably the most obvious example of this. Point Break is in this league. Keanu Reeves plays Johnny Utah (!), an ex college football star turned FBI recruit. He is immediately teamed up with Gary Busey, in a rare role as a protagonist, a burned out agent that finds his passion reignited by Utah and shares his secret theory with him regarding the bank robberies they are investigating: The robbers are surfers funding their next extreme sports adventure.

It's such a good movie. The rather ridiculous plot unfolds with a certain believability, it's flawless directed. Not a scene or a line is wasted. The emotional side of the action and adventure isn't left behind or taken lightly, as characters begin to struggle when the s**t hits the fan. Every death is heavier than many movies of this nature, it's serious but not to the point of ruining the fun, just added immersion in the story, and where it also succeeds is its restraint - fighting scenes are few and far between and never outstay their welcome. The action comes from the stunts and adventure. Keanu plays the part well but it's Swayze who steals the show, a charismatic character until the end when he begins to unravel as his world collapses. There's no evil behind his motives, but a belief in the freedom of the human spirit. It's grand and cheesy stuff. Busey is firing, Lori Petty as the love interest, Dr Cox from scrubs as the FBI boss. it's difficult to find a weak actor/character! All of this is supported by a ripper soundtrack that elevates every scene with music in it.

One of my favourites, and engrossingly fun film that walks a very fine line of taking itself just seriously enough to add emotion but to not venture in to self parody, and lots of effort has been put in to flesh it out when they could have taken the core elements and just ran with it through the motions and still had a good watch.

9.5/10

Interesting that we have a bunch of more casual watchers here who have admitted to becoming uninterested in Star Wars, when we have people in the Star Wars threads claiming only manbabies have given up on it because the movies weren't want they wanted/hate women and the strength of the franchise has never had more appeal.

Point Break is outstanding. No idea how people don't love it. One of the very best action movies of it's era. Better than Die Hard anyway.
Cheesy dialogue, terrible acting, predictable/holey plot.

The bank scenes were cool that's about it.

In all honesty your review sounds like a piss take to me.

Haven't watched Die Hard for about 15 years... might have to revisit, but remember it being pretty good. Could be an age when viewing thing.

Cheesy dialogue, terrible acting, predictable/holey plot.

The bank scenes were cool that's about it.

In all honesty your review sounds like a piss take to me.

Haven't watched Die Hard for about 15 years... might have to revisit, but remember it being pretty good. Could be an age when viewing thing.

I hadn't seen Die Hard for years then last year went to see it in the cinemas (one of the Perth ones does a run of classic movies each year).

Was fantastic and it had a decent legacy on action movies, reintroducing the everyman hero when Schwarzenegger/Stallone had become the standard.

Sprinter: I think it was based on Usain Bolt? Was watchable 6.5/10. About an up and coming Jamaican sprinter.

The Brighton Miracle: Based on the Japanese Rugby Team beating South Africa in the 2015 World Cup. Was very well done and inspirational all round. Temuera Morrison (Once Were Warriors) plays the part very well. Almost shed a tear when Japan score the try in the dying moments.

Watching the Nightingale tonight. Please deliver as I'm starved of great movies atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back