Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Few flights for work recently

Are you here? Owen Wilson and Zach Galifianakis in a bit of a black comedy I guess, wasn't really sure what it wanted to be, nothing special.

Hector and the search for happiness. Simon Pegg traveling the world looking for happiness, one of those movies where the fact that the main character is being selfish kind of gets glossed over.

Me and Earl and the dying girl, few red wines on the plain and this one had me getting something in my eye towards the end, bloody useless air filters on planes these days.....

Some movie that I can't even remember

Doctor Strange, a friend saw it on acid, don't know how he survived, especially on the big screen

The Accountant. Not terrible but fairly predictable once you got a little ways in, more violent than I was expecting, Anna Kendricks is super cute.

I'm on a roll with 4 star movies lately.

Hacksaw Ridge last night.

Almost a film in two halves this, both acts so different. A couple of parts I thought were a bit iffy, and I found Okinawa far more terrifying in "The Pacific" but it's still an excellent WW2 movie make no mistake. Gibson cleverly made it easy to understand exactly what was going on in the battle scenes, they were done so good. I didn't mind Vince Vaughn either but haters of him won't change their minds here.

The medic who it's about was unbelievable, and I know Andrew Garfield won't win best actor, but he was absolutely EPIC I thought.

8/10!

Alien (1979): It's been a long time and forgot how great the cast was. 8/10

Aliens (1986): My favorite of the bunch. Lance Henriksen as Bishop was sublime. 9/10

The Wanderers (1979): Mess of a film but entertaining. 6/10

Lebanon (2009): Like Das Boot for the Tank! Effectively made and thought provoking. Many good Israeli films of late exploring their conflicts. 8/10.

The Founder - The 20th century was a time when entrepreneur's stole good ideas and turned them into multi-million dollar corporations, and it seems McDonald's was no different. The film felt like a Lifetime movie at times, as the subject was a little dry in parts, but I felt sorry for the original McDonald brothers whom having perfected the fast food technique we all know today, got screwed over by a ruthless businessman and his enablers. The film tries hard to make out Crock as some kind of purveyor of the American Dream, yet in the end he was just a man with no scruples who ruined others to build his fortune. 6/10

The film tries hard to make out Crock as some kind of purveyor of the American Dream, yet in the end he was just a man with no scruples who ruined others to build his fortune. 6/10

I haven't seen the movie but always thought the McDonald brothers just sold because they didn't want to expand the business.

I haven't seen the movie but always thought the McDonald brothers just sold because they didn't want to expand the business.
They did want to expand it, and had tried to franchise it before Crock came along, and failed. I won't give everything away, but what Crock did to these guys in the end was pretty disgusting IMO, from an ethical POV.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silence

Powerful movie on the subject of faith and how far you can test one person's limit. I was with it every step of the way. Exquisitely shot. Devastatingly beautiful. Top-tier Scorsese. Complete s**t that it was overlooked by the Oscars. I'll just pretend Garfield is nominated for this instead.

Lion - Weekly date night at gold class is back on.

This is exceptional. Obviously the key to any great film is a great story and this one is set up to succeed from the real life story of Saroo Brierly and Indian child who gets adopted by an Aussie couple from Tassie. I genuinely cannot convey how remarkable his story is, but from this you get an exceptionally well crafted, understated and well paced film from it. Credit to the filmmakers for sticking to their creative guns with the first half of the film being done in all Hindi and Bengali and deciding on the linear narrative opposed to flashbacks (which IMO would have made this far to similar to Slumdog Millionaire).

Exceptional performances all round (seriously Dev Patel sounds more occa than Mick from the local) but huge props to Wenham for the straight laced dad and new comer Sunny Panwar for playing the young Saroo.

Aussie and independent aussie film can be so so exceptionally good, make sure you bring the tissues. 9/10

Taxi Driver - I'm very late to the party but to be honest it didn't scream "best movie ever" on first viewing. Probably one you need to watch a second or third time to deeply appreciate. 7/10

Hacksaw Ridge - EXCELLENT movie. The casting was downright weird. Garfield (terrific) then a bunch of random Aussies and Vince ******* Vaughn. It worked though, highly recommend. 9/10

The Light Between Oceans

A bit soppy but well produced.

Silence

Had to go and check out Scorsese’s “20 year labor of love”, went in mentally prepared for what was reported to be a fairly long and slow grind. Found the story pretty interesting however about a Christian priest (Andrew Garfield) trying to grow the faith in Japan in the 1600s, and being met by strong and at times brutal resistance from Japanese authorities.

Silence is true to its name, a seriously quiet film and I can’t recall there actually being any music. I think this adds to the perception of it being slow, though others will say this adds to its beauty. Can definitely appreciate the love that went into it, it is a meticulously constructed movie with solid acting and cinematography. Not sure how it would be swallowed were it not a big name director but I was engaged 7/10

Tip: if you see this at the movies and wish to snack, get the most silent snacks you can manage… even the consumption of popcorn is highly audible during this movie.

Lion. 9/10.
Should not have watched this during a hormonal moment. Was literally sobbing.

Absolutely heartwrenching movie that is shot beautifully and complemented perfectly by the music. Just brilliant.

My older brother was friends with Saru in high school.
Looking forward to seeing the movie, it looks great.

Lion. 9/10.
Should not have watched this during a hormonal moment. Was literally sobbing.

Absolutely heartwrenching movie that is shot beautifully and complemented perfectly by the music. Just brilliant.
Missus said she had to wipe her eyes/nose on her jeans cos her shirt had filled up.

Bring tissues to this one people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back