Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just watched Inside Job again. I'm a sucker for GFC movies, have to watch if it's on. This is probably my favourite of all of them, as it's the most real, a documovie, with the actual people who were involved.

I must be a glutton for punishment, because I feel depressed and angry when I watch it. We haven't learnt from the mistakes of the past.

Gone Girl.

Holds up as one of Fincher's best. The false narrative throughout has been done, but not necessarily this well.

The score and acting are its heroes. Rosamund Pike deserves more credit for this, and I'd consider this the performance of Ben Affleck's career.

The structure was brilliant. The way it tells all of Affleck's POV before going back to Pike and doing the reverse, and the two leads actually go large lengths of the movie without being seen is that sets it apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calvary (2014) - I had put this one aside because someone who recommended it talked about how full-on it was and the only I other thing I knew was that it touched on sexual abuse by Catholic priests. But after two other friends recently had it on their favourite films of all time list, I gave it a crack last night. And it was brilliant. Yes, it's got some pretty heavy themes and scenes, but it's actually hilarious in parts as well. That really shouldn't have been a surprise, considering it's set in a small town in Ireland. They're all funny buggers over there, really. The main character (the priest who gets a death threat from one of the locals in confession) is played incredibly well and as well as his honesty and wit, he also says some powerful and insightful truths about humanity. It was actually surprisingly thought-provoking. Plus it's shot beautifully and ... it's just really good. Watch it if you haven't already. The only downside for me was his daughter - the actress overplayed every scene like she was in a Mexican soap opera. It's not enough to even remotely spoil the overall film though. 8/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Calvary (2014) - I had put this one aside because someone who recommended it talked about how full-on it was and the only I other thing I knew was that it touched on sexual abuse by Catholic priests. But after two other friends recently had it on their favourite films of all time list, I gave it a crack last night. And it was brilliant. Yes, it's got some pretty heavy themes and scenes, but it's actually hilarious in parts as well. That really shouldn't have been a surprise, considering it's set in a small town in Ireland. They're all funny buggers over there, really. The main character (the priest who gets a death threat from one of the locals in confession) is played incredibly well and as well as his honesty and wit, he also says some powerful and insightful truths about humanity. It was actually surprisingly thought-provoking. Plus it's shot beautifully and ... it's just really good. Watch it if you haven't already. The only downside for me was his daughter - the actress overplayed every scene like she was in a Mexican soap opera. It's not enough to even remotely spoil the overall film though. 8/10
Incredibly underrated film.

Dolemite. Average for me. Murphy was good, as was the music, but for a comedy, I hardly laughed.

I guess it's supposed to be an ironic comedy, like The Disaster Artist, which I also thought was average.

I didn't find a lot of it overly funny but Dolemite is first and foremost a biography for that part of Rudy Ray Moore's life, and apparently a pretty accurate one, and there it worked well enough for me. It's just nice to see Murphy in something half decent again, the guy makes way too much rubbish for the talent he has.

Animal Kingdom (2010), I've enjoyed the TV series and finally got around to watching the movie that inspired it. It's a good movie but it's slow enough and so Australian that I'm a little surprised it gained enough traction overseas to be turned into an American based TV series.

Last edited:
Gone Girl.

Holds up as one of Fincher's best. The false narrative throughout has been done, but not necessarily this well.

The score and acting are its heroes. Rosamund Pike deserves more credit for this, and I'd consider this the performance of Ben Affleck's career.
Absolutely brilliant movie, with one of the all time most unsatisfying endings :'(

Game Night on Netflix.
Had zero expectations as it was a random hungover comedy choice but it was pretty entertaining and had a few laughs.
Admittedly I am a Jason Bateman fan, ever since arrested development I usually enjoy his work.
Agree. A good flick for shits and giggles. Also a Bateman fan, but Plemmons as the nosey neighbor cop was funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back