Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hacksaw Ridge.

Really good. Best war movie in a long time.

Combat scenes will bring on anxiety attacks.

Jackie: Good performance by Natalie Portman. Great to see John Hurt. Saw Alien the other day and he had a great on screen presence. Always good to see Greta Gerwig. I'm a fan. Good film despite meandering a bit in parts. There are some very well constructed scenes throughout though. Found it similar in tone to the Lincoln film of a few years ago. 7/10

Underworld Blood Wars. I enjoyed it but I am a fan of the series and I go into each film knowing not to expect a classic movie and to appreciate them for what they are.

Im about half way through it right now. Its typically corny and has bad pacing but its still kate beckinsale in black leather and has decent fight scenes and a nice aesthetic.

Manchester by the Sea: Good film with good performances all round. I guess when you pack enough good actors in you can't go wrong! Anyone who has seen The Assassination of Jesse James knows Casey Affleck can act a bit and he puts in a performance reminiscent of his role in Lonesome Jim. Good but nothing groundbreaking. 7.5/10

10 CLOVERFIELD LANE

John Goodman my god
Loved it ( even with the twist )

I assume it's a sequel , well it pissed on the 1st in that case
Watched this on the weekend and really enjoyed it. 7.5/10 from me.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - 7/10

Not bad, I'm no Potter fan boi so I'm not going to make comparisons between the films but I do like fantasy movies and thought this was pretty good.

Last edited:
Lion 8/10
My only gripe (and not a really big one) was it slowed a little in the middle where he was doing his google earth searching, and some scenes with Nicole Kidman (her 'visions' as a 12 year old in particular) seemed a bit unnecessary. Otherwise, really good.
No tears, but was amazing to imagine what it would have been like when he arrived back in the village. Oh and his real brother :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10 CLOVERFIELD LANE

John Goodman my god
Loved it ( even with the twist )

I assume it's a sequel , well it pissed on the 1st in that case

I was actually just reading about this

it started life as a totally separate screenplay called "The Cellar" and the studio picked it up, started pre production and JJ.Abrams went all salesman on it and got on board then spruiked it as a "blood relative" of Cloverfield. Initially it had absolutely nothing to do with Cloverfield and JJ and the studio just saw it as an easy marketing spiel to ensure it got more views was basically the article

Attempted to watch Point break remake .. turned off so bad 0/10

See I actually think the problem here is the branding. If its a run of the mill disposable action/adventure its not bad, cause its got some great stunts and action, but people have an attachment with the heyday action films. Point Break (original) was a good (not great) early action film that was dumb and fun, this is no different.

Lion

Excellent, i don't think they could have portrayed Saru's story any better.
Perfectly casted with Dev Pattel, Nicole Kidman & Rooney Mara particularly excelling in their roles.
Sunny Pawar who played him as a child in India was very talented as well.
A real heartfelt film and one that was enthralling from the start to finish.

Weird that i actually met Saru when i was a kid, he was my brothers school mate.
I actually remember his brother Mantosh as well and that he was in a rehab facility.
Good on him for telling his life story so well.

4/5

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lion_2016/

-----

Creepy

Kiyoshi Kurosawa's latest feature film.
Follows the story of a retired detective who becomes engaged in an old case.
Also he develops suspicions of his eccentric neighbour.
Very solid effort from Kurosawa, i liked the acting and the Villian was perfectly casted.
Well worth seeing, especially if you are a fan of his other films (Cure, Pulse)

3.5/5

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/creepy

-----

Imperial Dreams

A gritty and at times sobering look at Ghetto life.
A man's quest for redemption and his love for his son.
His struggle to live a straight life.
Great performance from John Boyega, an up an coming talent for sure.

3.5/5

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/imperial_dreams

Split - Had me until the ending. Still alright though. 7/10

Lion - Ill join the line to sing its praises. Hadn't heard much about it going in so had no expectations and it was a great film. Incredible story and and the first half was extremely engaging. 9/10

Amanda Knox - Interesting documentary about the girl accused of murder in 2007. It showed me just how much control the media has over the masses. People are sheep and do not think for themselves or consider the facts. 7/10

The Big Short - Awesome film but frustrating to watch knowing what it did to the american people. Bale was fantastic as was Carrell. Gosling is solid and plays the part very well. Just amazed at the lack of accountability considring millions lost homes and jobs. Informative and made a seemingly boring topic very interesting. 9/10

The Secrets in their Eyes - 2009 Argentinian version. Oh man I cant believe this tripe won an Oscar for best foreign film.

I was looking for movies like Memories of Murder which is a masterpiece and found this crap which is somehow rated higher on IMDB.
Im hoping the subtitles in the version I had were way off the mark because the plot in this was bloody stupid.

A woman is murdered and a guy that seems to work for the courts is the prime investigator, not sure what the police do in Argentina but maybe that is their system. Again a lot of this didn't make sense, maybe lost in translation. Anyway after practically no investigation he finds a suspect by going through school photos of the victim and sees a schoolmate looking at her in every photo. As a result of this, he decides that guy is the murderer without any other proof. Now it was set in the 70's but not a single piece of forensic evidence was discussed, the only evidence was the school photos.

Anyway after a lot bullshit searching for him they find the guy and the worst part is that he is the murderer, angered into a confession by a female officer of the court who is emasculating him.

There is more to the story which is good involving the husband of the murdered woman but the stupidity of the investigation ruined it.

In short just go watch Memories of Murder.

Last edited:
Latest Steven Segal movie called "Contract to Kill".

I dont even know where to begin with how ridiculous and awful this movie is.

Segal himself has aged terribly. He mumbles most of his god awful dialogue. He is faaaaaaaat. So fat he wears dresses now. Looks diabetic. Doing his typical magic Aikido moves. One liners were never his strong suit but he has gotten really lazy at this point with gems such as "stay down bitch" being the highlight. Looks like he sprayed his hair on with paint. Seriously he has trouble even walking in this movie. In nearly every scene he slowly walks or sits down. He looks like Donald Trump fitness wise.

For some reason theres at least two stunningly beautiful 20 somethings who find him attractive enough to go to bed with him. For some other reason while he is with them he only kisses them on the cheek and just looks generally like he doesn't like women. Which makes no sense cause he also has his hands on their **** and arse.

He fights against literally every terrorist and drug dealing group in the world. The plot is incomprehensible other than to make sure you the watcher understands mexicans and arabs are bad news. Also all the Mexicans and Arabs are played by Romanians. Pretty much everyone in this movie is played by Romanians.

Its ******* woeful.

10/10 would watch again.

Last edited:
The Secrets in their Eyes - 2009 Argentinian version. Oh man I cant believe this tripe won an Oscar for best foreign film.

I was looking for movies like Memories of Murder which is a masterpiece and found this crap which is somehow rated higher on IMDB.
Im hoping the subtitles in the version I had were way off the mark because the plot in this was bloody stupid.

It's not the best film in the world but that scene at the soccer match really stood out. I saw it at the cinema seven years ago and remember little about the film, but I remember that scene clearly. Really brilliantly done, but the movie around it is a couple of levels below that.

Manchester by the Sea. Not bad but not that good to be honest. There's a pretty ******* sad scene or two, be warned.
Surely Lee Chandler would have topped himself, imagine living with that on your mind. I know he tried to once but what gave him the will to live afterwards?

Manchester by the Sea. Not bad but not that good to be honest. There's a pretty ******* sad scene or two, be warned.
Surely Lee Chandler would have topped himself, imagine living with that on your mind. I know he tried to once but what gave him the will to live afterwards?

It's got its own thread. Some of us think for movies worth discussing each movie should have their own thread.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/manchester-by-the-sea.1157807/#post-48740803

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back