Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Nothing of it connected with me. The styling, the characters, the plot, the soundtrack, none of it. Ryan Gosling's character felt like a really poorly written caricature of a brooding antihero played by an actor who didn't know how to pull it off - his reluctance to speak and general affectation when he did speak didn't give me the sense of the aloof nature it seemed to be trying to give him, but just that they didn't have any better dialogue for him to say. The elongated pauses in all the conversations was almost comical, but just frustrated me in the end. The rest of the characters were cliched and the storyline was much the same. I think I rated it 4/10 on IMDB, but was probably in a generous mood!
Totally agree, Gosling was so wooden in this film I got splinters watching it.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Fair enough, opinions are opinions and I respect yours as you elaborated it. I do understand concerns with Ryan Gosling's character - he does brood but I think it was compelling anyway. Normally not a fan of graphic violence for the sake of it either but I think Drive does it well.
A lot of people seem to really love it, so it's obviously got value (both artistic and entertainment), but it just didn't connect with me. God knows there are plenty of movies that I love that everyone else seems to hate haha.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Angel Has Fallen.
You know the formula. Bad guy tries to kill the President (Morgan Freeman). His security guy (Gerard Butler) saves him and saves the world. Explosions, shoot outs, car chases.

5/10

The Standoff at Sparrow Creek.
Reservoir Dogs without the interesting characters, witty dialog and style.

3/10

I actually haven't seen it, but want to. Not so much for Gosling (who I don't mind), but more for Cranston.

My 3.6 rating comment was in reference to Kirby's avatar, probably the best show I saw last year. One of those ones that stays with you for a while. I still think about it.

So you only gave Chernobyl 3.6 out of 5?! Harsh

As for Drive, sort of liked first half but just became a predictable revenge like
movie. They overdid the silence, and far from feeling more poignant it just looked awkward. Expected a lot more with that cast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
The Gentlemen (2020) Laughed a whole lot in the cinema so its a pretty decent pass mark for me, not as good as his first few but good enough that I hope Guy Richie gives up on the variety and just makes a London ganster film every second year or so.

As always he brings together a great ensemble cast, its nice to see Colin Farrel really nail a role again and I swear Hugh Grant himself doesn't know what accent he was going for but he hams it up so well that it so doesn't matter.

djrossie16

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
1917: Very good immersive cinema experience. The last hour is particularly thrilling and beautifully shot.
There was a feeling of style over substance. But the style being the superb cinematography, music and acting (some great cameos) overcome any issues I have with the script and some contrived scenes. The performance of George Mackay is very good. I look forward to seeing him as Ned Kelly. It's his time to shine it seems.
After this if you haven't seen it check out 'They Shall not Grow Old' for something more substantial and grounding on the Great War.
8/10

The Lighthouse

Stunning movie. Stunning. Brilliantly acted, perfectly shot. Was gripping, interesting, chilling. One of Dafoe’s best ever roles.

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Jojo Rabbit (2019) - 7/10

Has it's good moments. Enjoyable.

The line "My face looks like a god damn street map, woman." still gives me a good laugh. The delivery was just perfect.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Jay and Silent Bob Reboot (2019)

Though the meta-heavy plot gets tiresome after a while (especially the whole Ben Affleck moralizing about being a dad), the Jay and Silent Bob Reboot is a successful return to form for Kevin Smith. He has every right to be older and wiser here, and Jay and Silent Bob Reboot, with its gentle anarchy and not-quite-mock nostalgia, is a time-machine sequel that passes the time pleasantly enough. The film enjoys telling us its definitions of sequel, remake, and reboot while also highlighting the myriad ways it knowingly embodies each. Yet the comedy is disjointed and hit and miss. I liked it but I didn't love it. This film is basically Smith (and Mewes) passing on the torch to a new generation of nerds and stoners. 6/10.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
MV5BMjkxMDIyNTAtYjgwZC00YmIwLWFmZTEtZTIzOWZhZjNiZDQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODk4OTc3MTY@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Little Monsters (2019)
No idea why people aren't talking about this film: Australian schlock that sees a washed up metal guitarist fall for a super spunky kindergarten teacher and fight off a horde of zombies. ******* amazing. Loads of heart & tonnes of swear words. Best film of 2019 by a massive, massive margin.

Ocha905 Reckon you'd love this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back