Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Derivative and unoriginal. I left the theatre completely underwhelmed and don't understand Reddit's hard on for that movie.

Graphics are nice I suppose, but like Ready Player One (another 3D animated cartoon-style movie set a dystopian future) suffers from poor writing and the need to please the hardcore fans and baffle everyone else.

/rant

i didnt mind Alita reminds me of Akira and Ghost in the shell- i think Akira hasn't had a U.S adaptation/makeover like the other 2 yet

Ghost Protocol, Rogue Nation and Fallout are a fine mini-trilogy of action movies. Fallout in particular became an instant favourite, the rewatches just make it even better. Think it has something like 97% on RT and that's well deserved.

I told all my mates, there were all like “yeh, maybe I’ll watch it, someday”.

Think the pre movie hype for it just wasn’t there.

There's plenty of female villains in the Mission Impossible series and in Fallout three of them are antagonists to a degree.

However I think it's positive for girls to have role models on film that aren't eye candy, trophy wives or the strong sassy don't need no man type, which a lot of films still fall into nowadays.
Sure, in MI and F/out it was there. The issue is the million other "girl power" movies where it's not. The thing is...little girls can still aspire and have role models in films/shows where there are good and bad women in them, good vs bad women, and strong principled women alongside weak and disturbed women.

The Silence Of The Lambs is a great "girl power" movie for mine.
Girl Power is when there's a billion women in the film all powered up and perfect, often sharing the screen at the one time...with terrible girl power music in the background.

A strong female lead is not girl power. There's a difference.

T and T2 with Sarah Connor.
Alien series with Ripley, and that gung-ho soldier in Aliens.
etc

Those are celebrated, loved. They have flaws, they have character arcs, they have struggles, well-written scripts.

Girl Power is when there's a billion women in the film all powered up and perfect, often sharing the screen at the one time...with terrible girl power music in the background.

etc

Those are celebrated, loved. They have flaws, they have character arcs, they have struggles, well-written scripts.
Ah ok, have misunderstood the way the term was bring used here.

etc

On this point I agree, Ripley and Sarah Connor are fine female characters, don't think anyone disputes that. Don't think anyone disputes Ghostbusters was also terrible. But I honestly think if a movie inspires girls to aspire to things in life that movies normally don't portray that's a good thing no matter how bad the character may be written.

However...Rey from Star Wars IS over the top "girl power" given she had no struggles, arc, etc.

On this point I disagree but then the Star Wars threads in this board are something I avoid because it's the same old stuff peddled by people who invest themselves way too much into a movie. I was probably one of the few that actually liked how Rey was a naturally gifted force-using 'nobody' in TLJ and on that point I cannot be bothered wasting more energy defending that viewpoint.

Sure, in MI and F/out it was there. The issue is the million other "girl power" movies where it's not. The thing is...little girls can still aspire and have role models in films/shows where there are good and bad women in them, good vs bad women, and strong principled women alongside weak and disturbed women.
LOL, millions :tearsofjoy:

The insecurity required as a man to be bothered by a handful of films in which women are shown as superior to men is off the charts. We get it, 100 per cent of blockbuster movies used to be made for men and now it’s about 95 per cent. Let’s harden up and get over it. There’s still plenty of movies where men are shown to always be right and beat their way through anyone who disagrees (the aforementioned MI films, John Wick, Jack Reacher etc) and plenty of films where women are reduced to sexy and insignificant roles.

also a big difference between the original Charlies Angels movies and the most recent Charlies Angels movie.

the former had a bunch of female leads, all kicking ass, but it was a non-identity politics and non-girl power fare. as the characters all had their struggles and character arcs etc, they were real women with ups and downs....it was also done in a light-hearted fun way.

whereas the recent one lacked substance, fun, humor, character arcs, etc and was too agenda-driven.

just further distinguishing the examples.

basically "girl power" is a bad descriptor agreed, because there are girl power movies without the agenda and are well written to show the characters as human and real, ups and downs etc.

also a big difference between the original Charlies Angels movies and the most recent Charlies Angels movie.

the former had a bunch of female leads, all kicking ass, but it was a non-identity politics and non-girl power fare. as the characters all had their struggles and character arcs etc, they were real women with ups and downs....it was also done in a light-hearted fun way.

whereas the recent one lacked substance, fun, humor, character arcs, etc and was too agenda-driven.

just further distinguishing the examples.

basically "girl power" is a bad descriptor agreed, because there are girl power movies without the agenda and are well written to show the characters as human and real, ups and downs etc.

The original Charlies Angels movie had the three girls define themselves by their relationships with men, and of course the TV series wasn't exactly 'yay feminism'. Odd choice to back up your criticism of 'girl power'.

I just think men (and these critics are all men, let's face it) are getting a bit narky that the occasional film is getting made for the female demographic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Charlie’s Angels was male fantasy viewing.

Michael Bay's Transformers was basically cars, robots, **** and explosions but didn't recall an uproar over that one or plenty of other similar films.

In the end there are plenty of films for guys where you can switch off your brain and let the primal instincts take over, so this rattling on by some commentators on the internet about 'teh feminazi agenda!?!' must be trolling, surely.

perhaps you guys misread my post....i am agreeing girl power is a bad descriptor for what specifically is being criticized of CERTAIN movies.

its not lead women existing, its not many women in the movie, its not even one or many women being strong, independent, or kicking ass....its just when the producers of the film are too focused on identity politics etc and neglect good story telling.

perhaps you guys misread my post....i am agreeing girl power is a bad descriptor for what specifically is being criticized of CERTAIN movies.

its not lead women existing, its not many women in the movie, its not even one or many women being strong, independent, or kicking ass....its just when the producers of the film are too focused on identity politics etc and neglect good story telling.

Plenty of films have political connotations and feminism is a political issue that I don't think movies should go out of their way to avoid.

If the story is told badly - well, that's an issue with the writers, directors, screenplay etc. I don't think telling a story related to 'girl power' makes a film necessarily bad. Sure, it can be ham-fisted or the movie could just be s**t but like I said before if it inspires girls to achieve something with their life that movies don't normally portray it's worthwhile.

For all the knocks on salvation (some of which it’s worthy of) at least they went with something different.

having said that chase sequences are easier to do as the engine that drives the plot forward is already incumbent in the format.

The biggest problem with Salvation was it turned the twisted metal neon laser future we glimpsed in the original movies in to some sparse and dusty wannabe Mad Max setting mixed with a bit of Bay's Transformers.

The visual presentation was completely wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plenty of films have political connotations and feminism is a political issue that I don't think movies should go out of their way to avoid.

If the story is told badly - well, that's an issue with the writers, directors, screenplay etc. I don't think telling a story related to 'girl power' makes a film necessarily bad. Sure, it can be ham-fisted or the movie could just be s**t but like I said before if it inspires girls to achieve something with their life that movies don't normally portray it's worthwhile.
it can be an issue when youre pumping detrimental philosophy into a target audiences heads. Eg, pro-Nazi films. Or, pro-Racist films. Or, Anti-women films. Etc. I think theres an extrmeist feminism that is detrimental to girls. Not feminism, but that extreme feminism. Same with that extreme IP leftist strand where clapping is considered aggressive, and other insane thoughts that aim to strip humans of humanness. Where everything is offensive. Its not just about feminism, its not even that. Anything that just is extreme and sucks the life out of life

Everyone knows the best Mission Impossible is part 2.

No wonder the Australian auto industry collapsed, apparently everything we built was prone to explosions from the smallest of incidents.

Sunglasses, dual pistols in slow mo, heavy metal, Australia, falcons and commodores, dramatic Hans Zimmerman music, motorbikes, spinning back kicks, Broken Hill... I don't think it's possible to make a better movie. It had everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GG.exe im not having a crack but “perhaps you misread my posts” and the whole “shoving identity politics” etc. comes across as very mansplainy. Personally on the feminism agenda, some of the tokenism doesn’t really appeal to me but I’m also aware that we have a lot of manly men stuff in films that caters to the male ego, if we have to have a handful for women to do the same thing and start to turn the tide so be it. There is a staggering discrepancy of under representation for women in film and especially heroines and if we’re trying then that’s a start. Seeing every bad example, or every slight overreach as “jamming an agenda down men’s throats” is part of the problem.

GG.exe im not having a crack but “perhaps you misread my posts” and the whole “shoving identity politics” etc. comes across as very mansplainy. Personally on the feminism agenda, some of the tokenism doesn’t really appeal to me but I’m also aware that we have a lot of manly men stuff in films that caters to the male ego, if we have to have a handful for women to do the same thing and start to turn the tide so be it. There is a staggering discrepancy of under representation for women in film and especially heroines and if we’re trying then that’s a start. Seeing every bad example, or every slight overreach as “jamming an agenda down men’s throats” is part of the problem.
catering to women doesnt automatically equal feminist agendas tho. Plenty if women who like women portrayed traditionally, traditional values. How about movies with a spectrum? Instead of just male fantasy or feminism or IP. Spectrum of characters in almost every story. The majority. And isolated movies of extremist values for both sides....male fantasy movie every blue moon, extreme feminist every blue moon.

catering to women doesnt automatically equal feminist agendas tho. Plenty if women who like women portrayed traditionally, traditional values. How about movies with a spectrum? Instead of just male fantasy or feminism or IP. Spectrum of characters in almost every story. The majority. And isolated movies of extremist values for both sides....male fantasy movie every blue moon, extreme feminist every blue moon.

Sure, but it’s not like the extreme is the norm, we’re not getting 50 films like that in the mainstream every year, it’s a blip. We also don’t dismiss every male fantasy driven piece of crap as the right wing male agenda. It’s going to have failures but it’s a lot better we’re trying.

Sure, but it’s not like the extreme is the norm, we’re not getting 50 films like that in the mainstream every year, it’s a blip. We also don’t dismiss every male fantasy driven piece of crap as the right wing male agenda. It’s going to have failures but it’s a lot better we’re trying.
agree we're trying. it takes time for the studios to feel it out, and eventually settle on a good balance

I just think men (and these critics are all men, let's face it) are getting a bit narky that the occasional film is getting made for the female demographic.

A woman at work asked me how my weekend was, I mentioned seeing Little Women and loving it, she laughed and said "Oh getting in touch with your feminine side, are we?"

It took all my professionalism to not obviously roll my eyes at her. This doesn't happen to women watching movies with a predominantly male cast, but is taken as the norm. There's a huge double standard on these things, as much as we like to consider this kind of petty sexism non-existent.

The original Charlies Angels movie had the three girls define themselves by their relationships with men, and of course the TV series wasn't exactly 'yay feminism'. Odd choice to back up your criticism of 'girl power'.

If you want to hear some insecure men whinging. Head to the feminism thread. 😂😂😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back