Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waves - The first half of this movie is as depressing as the previous movie sounds, but a sudden switch of focus halfway through the film turns its second half into something beautiful and romantic. The effect is really unnerving, as it takes some time to embrace the charm of the second half, but it makes for a powerful contrast. A difficult movie to describe without giving away too much, it tells of a Florida high school amateur wrestler who struggles with various crises in his life, as well as the domestic pressures of his incredibly strict father. Kelvin Harrison Jr is excellent in the role, and between the other films of his I've seen I think he's a very talented (and mighty fine) young actor whose career I look forward to seeing develop. Great soundtrack, featuring everything from Glenn Miller, Radiohead, Animal Collective and Frank Ocean, among many others. Strongly recommended film.
Actually thought the young dudes acting was a bit average. The sister on the other hand was an absolute powerhouse.
once she became the focus, the movie became so much better.
The soundtrack is fantastic, you're right on that.
I didn't love the camerawork all that much.
6/10 for me, but I could see why someone would love this movie so I would recommend it to everyone.

Dr Sleep. Interesting concept, good performances but too long. One other issue:

The rest of the true knot gang was dispatched pretty easily under a hail of gunfire, so why drag Rose halfway across the country so the Overlook could take care of her? Just shoot the bitch already. Made the Shining tie in look a bit gratuitous for mine.

Watched a few after recommendations here. All very different from each other but excellent.

Prisoners. Slow paced, unpredictable thriller. 7/10.

Inside Man. Well made heist movie that doesn't take itself too seriously. 7/10.

Eastern Promises. I'm a sucker for anything with Naomi Watts. Viggo Mortensen was very good, especially the naked fight. You might recognise Vincent Cassel from Westworld. Apparently there's going to be a sequel. 7/10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wind River

This seems to get good reviews on IMDB and here but I just found it painfully slow. It would have been a lot better at the cinema with the scenery and no distractions. Watching at home I just found it too slow to not get constantly distracted and lose interest.

Watched a few after recommendations here. All very different from each other but excellent.

Prisoners. Slow paced, unpredictable thriller. 7/10.

Inside Man. Well made heist movie that doesn't take itself too seriously. 7/10.

Eastern Promises. I'm a sucker for anything with Naomi Watts. Viggo Mortensen was very good, especially the naked fight. You might recognise Vincent Cassel from Westworld. Apparently there's going to be a sequel. 7/10.
Only a 7 for Prisoners? Wow, it's pretty much almost a 10 for me personally. One of the best movies I've seen.

London Has Fallen. Pretty slick action but not as good as the first one. Some of the shootout & fight scenes had way to much going on at such a high speed that it was difficult to tell wtf was happening. Might watch the 3rd one this weekend. ***/*****

London Has Fallen. Pretty slick action but not as good as the first one. Some of the shootout & fight scenes had way to much going on at such a high speed that it was difficult to tell wtf was happening. Might watch the 3rd one this weekend. ***/*****
Gerard Butler bit of an underrated modern action star.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Recently been burnt twice by glancing at IMDb scores that looked positive but on reflection must have been pumped up significantly by fake ratings:

Da 5 bloods - The first hour I actually enjoyed. A nice storyline was brewing where 4 black Vietnam vets traveled back to find their deceased lost mate and gold they had hidden. There were lot of BLM undertones and compassion with the needless los of lives for both sides. Thought it was going to be a nice feel good movie with an interesting insight into the how the African American community viewed the war. But then it descends into an overly violent mess of plot twists that don't make sense, * yeah America attitude and flash backs of 50 years where they still use the same old actors without any attempt to make them look younger. I'm not sure why Spike Lee went down this path but it was the wrong one.

Once upon a time in London - This is probably the worst movie I've ever watch. Felt like a uni project put together by first year students. The acting was horrible, there was no score so many scenes seemed hollow and without emotion, so much unnessecary violence and scene jumps that were unlogical and had no explanation to them.

How either of these movies got through an editing studio and got the green light to release to the public beggars belief.

Insidious: The Final Key. Pretty good sequel. 7/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back