Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jukesy85

Team Captain
Aug 9, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
SF 49ers and Giants, U of Wisconsin
I watched I'm Thinking of Ending Things last night, very conflicted about it. On one hand, the acting was superb - don't think Toni Collette or David Thewlis have ever put in a bad performance, while Jesse Plemons and Jessie Buckley were also great. I won't spoil anything but the ideas presented were very interesting indeed, and the dialogue was very well written.

But on the other hand, it was very dialogue heavy with not too much actually happening and I was pretty bored despite having a game open to keep my mind active. And I watched it because it was listed as a "psychological horror" movie with very good reviews, and I naturally associate psych-horror with movies like the Shining, American Psycho, Shutter Island, and the Silence of the Lambs, but this is very much not like those, and was nothing even close to horror even though it was setting up perfectly like one - the daunting blizzard setting in as they were off in the sticks at the weird-and-eccentric parents place, and the scratches on the basement door and Jake's fear of the basement. But then it went completely away from this into just trying to out-weird itself and see where it would go.

Like I can appreciate it as a good film but it just didn't appeal to me and was, to be blunt, boring. 5/10

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Get on YouTube and watch him on Graham Norton telling stories, particularly the Top Gun F-14 one.

He always seems much more relaxed and generous on there, probably because Graham doesn't bombard him with Scientology crap.

Like him or not, the guy is a winner. I've seen most of his movies, but not all. Some the subject matter didn't appeal to me.of all his movies I've seen the Nicole Kidman ones are the ones I didn't like, Days of Thunder and Far and Away.
"Scientology crap" = Tom Cruise is a deputy in a cult

HeathComeBack

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I watched I'm Thinking of Ending Things last night, very conflicted about it. On one hand, the acting was superb - don't think Toni Collette or David Thewlis have ever put in a bad performance, while Jesse Plemons and Jessie Buckley were also great. I won't spoil anything but the ideas presented were very interesting indeed, and the dialogue was very well written.

But on the other hand, it was very dialogue heavy with not too much actually happening and I was pretty bored despite having a game open to keep my mind active. And I watched it because it was listed as a "psychological horror" movie with very good reviews, and I naturally associate psych-horror with movies like the Shining, American Psycho, Shutter Island, and the Silence of the Lambs, but this is very much not like those, and was nothing even close to horror even though it was setting up perfectly like one - the daunting blizzard setting in as they were off in the sticks at the weird-and-eccentric parents place, and the scratches on the basement door and Jake's fear of the basement. But then it went completely away from this into just trying to out-weird itself and see where it would go.

Like I can appreciate it as a good film but it just didn't appeal to me and was, to be blunt, boring. 5/10
this is the perfect review of this film. I like Charlie but a lot of his films go right off the rails for no reason (none worse than Adaptation IMO)

Deliverance

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Rocky

Never seen it before, so no childhood memories to cloud my judgement. The development of his relationship with Adrienne was disturbing and made the think they could've almost called the movie Stalky, Creepy or Rapey.
Characters and dialogue were all over the shop. Boxing scenes were pretty good, hard to film full contact sports obviously, but I did love the angles they used to shoot the scenes.
The training montage is brilliant of course. And absolutely loved that he didn't win against Apollo.

6/10

sorted

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Rocky

Never seen it before, so no childhood memories to cloud my judgement. The development of his relationship with Adrienne was disturbing and made the think they could've almost called the movie Stalky, Creepy or Rapey.
Characters and dialogue were all over the shop. Boxing scenes were pretty good, hard to film full contact sports obviously, but I did love the angles they used to shoot the scenes.
The training montage is brilliant of course. And absolutely loved that he didn't win against Apollo.

6/10
Yeah, it's a shame they didn't make a sequel where he does beat him.

scout

Premium Gold
Jun 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Journey’s End - 8/10 - terrific WWI movie, tense and you could feel the fear they would have felt. Guy who played the lead was excellent. Enjoyed it more than 1917 tbh
Very good movie, really puts you there in the trenches with the soldiers.

Not a big action war film, more about the personal experiences of the characters. WWI trench warfare was just a horror.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HAPPY BUDDHA

WA - Best Beaches in Australia
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
Trainspotting (1996)

View attachment 955887

I can see the appeal for some. Perhaps you need to relate to addiction, or even that level of debauchery. Not for me, although I can see how Ewan McGregor became a star shortly thereafter.
One of the most overrated things I have ever seen.

MC Bad Genius

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
Trainspotting (1996)

View attachment 955887

I can see the appeal for some. Perhaps you need to relate to addiction, or even that level of debauchery. Not for me, although I can see how Ewan McGregor became a star shortly thereafter.
I only watched it fairly recently and absolutely loved it. I've got no real connection to drugs at all, but there felt like there was a level of sad realness to the malevolence of addiction.

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I too only watched it recently, I quite liked it, but didn't view it as the classic many do. Probably a product of its time and place as much as anything.

Cruyff14

TheBrownDog
Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Inside Man

Clive Owen is great, Denzel Washington is great, and so is Jodie Foster. Hadn't seen this in a very long time and thoroughly enjoyed it. Well thought out and executed very well.

Run All Night
Pretty intense for the most part and Liam Neeson is great in it. I recommend it.

OhhhhhCyril

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 11, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
TDKR
Gets a lot of hate, and was always going to be hard to follow up a Heath ledger Joker, nevertheless I love this move. The whole trilogy is my favourite anything comic book related.

mcnulty

Club Legend
Sep 18, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Trainspotting (1996)

View attachment 955887

A classic if only for the awesome opening sequence (c’mon Iggy Pop) and for Ewan McGregors epic spray at the Scottish/English.

Moorabool St

Debutant
Nov 6, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
High Noon (1952)

An absolute classic in the Western genre.

Had me from the start.

A retiring marshall finds out on his wedding day that a criminal he put away is returning to town for revenge. When he refuses to flee, he finds no support from the townspeople due to cowardice, corruption or greed.

A story of sticking to your values, even when everybody else tells you that you're wrong.

sorted

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
A classic if only for the awesome opening sequence (c’mon Iggy Pop) and for Ewan McGregors epic spray at the Scottish/English.

There are a lot of classic scenes - some funny (Spud job interview, Renton shitting the bed), some shocking (Begbie's violence), some very sad (the baby dying and the junkies hitting up again).

Overall it makes for a very good movie.

Top Bottom