Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moorabool St

Debutant
Nov 6, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
La Belle Époque (2019)

A quirky, stylish and heartfelt French drama-comedy. An ageing man whose marriage is all but over, receives a gift for an agency called "the time travellers", who recreate a period or event and let clients live them out for a night. The protagonist elects to revisit Lyon in the 70s, the night he met his wife.

The concept is perhaps better than the landing, but nonetheless the film is a warm way to spend two hours.

Doria Tillier is mesmerising.

Worth watching if you enjoy European rom-coms.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Armand Assante is a funny campaigner btw. Hated him too for years but now appreciate his acting.

Dec 1, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
The Trial of the Chicago 7 - pretty good! Usually I think Aaron Sorkin needs a great director to be paired with in order to rein in his worst features (eg David Fincher, Danny Boyle), but this was reasonably restrained and a well done film. The cast are uniformly excellent, with Sacha Baron Cohen probably the standout for mine. Will no doubt be popular come Oscar time.

Kajillionaire - Quirky film about a couple of grifters who have raised their 26 year old daughter in their world of theft and scamming, trying to come up with a big scam to get the $1500 they need to pay off their rental arrears. Very enjoyable and likable, it was very gently funny and also at points surprisingly moving and beautiful. This was a pretty unique movie and one I hope gets seen.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
30 Minutes Or Less

Slacker/stoner style comedy with some action. A couple of bumbling man children kidnap a pizza delivery boy and force him to rob a bank for them.

Starts pretty strong but peters out around the middle toward a sudden and 'is that it?' ending. I know I'm now watching Lord of the Rings here but they could have found a better conclusion than that. It's fine simple entertainment if you like this style of humour and aren't repulsed by Jesse Eisenberg, which many people are. I'm not.

6/10

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
To be fair, thread title just asks what you last watched - not to review ;)

It was a great start, meandered a little in the end and then had a big finish. So many subtle jokes that were great and a lot of toilet humour that was well done. Not as good as the first but still worth a watch.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Room for Rent - suspense/thriller with Lin Shaye.

Sort of came across as a Lifetime movie but was quite well done.

6/10

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
Tenet

Two and a half hours of explanations interspersed with the odd action piece. Apart from Pattinson's right hand man, I don't think any of the characters were loveable/hateable enough to justify its bloat.

And as is often the case with Nolan films, the sound mixing was terrible, which isn't a great thing for a dialogue heavy blockbuster.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I think KK2 is a great sequel.

Ups the stakes, develops the characters, builds the lore. Makes interesting characters more prominent. Still cheesy but these are movies called "the karate kid".

Now, part 3... *shudders*

Last edited:

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Jeepers Creepers 3: Ravenous

This got panned on IMDB but I really liked it. Lots of tension and good acting. Most criticism seems to be that it's out of sync with the first two movies. But if you watch it as a stand-alone movie it's good.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Jeepers Creepers 3: Ravenous

This got panned on IMDB but I really liked it. Lots of tension and good acting. Most criticism seems to be that it's out of sync with the first two movies. But if you watch it as a stand-alone movie it's good.

IIRC most of the criticism is because the director is a convicted child molester who shouldn’t have been allowed behind a camera again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back