Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Border - I don't have ad-block on my computer, so I can see trailers for movies before I watch something on YouTube, I doubt I'd have heard of this movie if not for that, and it instantly became a must see for me. Kept me really engaged from the get go and did through out the movie right up until the last act, wasn't a huge fan of where the movie went but I appreciated none the less. Feel like Swedish cinema is criminally underrated. 3.5/5

I saw this a few nights ago on SBS on demand. As with a lot of Swedish productions, it has an eerie atmospheric feel to it. Similar in many ways to Let The Right One In, same writer I think.

I enjoyed the film despite its creepy horror undertones.

Back in 1979 an Anglo European company made Eagle's Wing, it had Martin Sheen ( West Wing.. Apocalypse Now etc) and Harvey Keitel (everything!!!) and Sam Waterson ( Killing Fields..Frankie and Grace Law and Order). You know these guys were and are seriously great actors and performers, it was set in New Mexico or Texas and a beautiful white horse is the main target, as you'll see if you watch it. Comanches and another Indian of a different tribe, You got to see it, there is not much dialogue and Sam Waterson if you can pick him is brilliant barely says a word.
I saw it last night on YouTube, in fact YouTube has some brilliant old westerns on it, but not all are quality there are some crap that are really C grade not even B grade.
But other stuff if you search enough, I have picked up some really good things I never knew about at all.
There was a thing called Godless a mini series really. It starts really darkly.
Another was a brutal but realistic movie with subtitles, about the son of a gunslinger, who spends his life finding out about his fathers life. almost becomes his father. You have to see them, these things are different to westerns I've seen before, I've seen John Wayne stuff that doesn't stand up to some of these old but different movies, his stuff is good , some of it, what I'm saying if you haven't found any of these its worth a look the thing I watched last night was 41 years old, brilliant , really different you'll know if you watch it.

I could put it in the Unforgiven quality , it depends on what you like in a movie, Westerns done properly with no bullshit, are just excellent and they have improved , pity the genre doesn't spring back a bit more. There have been rippers but also lots of crap.

kill team
destroyer

didn't see all of Kill team but what I did see I liked although certain scenes angered me. Dog acts. Based on true events where American soldiers committed murder on Afghan's back in 2010. I'll watch the movie in full on fox now, it's about to start.

Saw a bit of destroyer which I have seen before starring Nicole Kidman. That's a beauty. She's a terrific actress and decades after making her first appearance is still going strong. Absolute legend she is.

Obsession (2009) A woman's husband and his twin brother are in an car accident and end up in comas. The brother wakes up claiming to be the husband. Not a particularly great movie but it kept me watching to find out the explanation.

Will finally get to the cinema this week- have spotted what looks to be a half decent film. Drama/thriller "Let Him Go" starring Kevin Costner.

Can't. wait. (more for the cinema than the movie)

4o8rjs.jpg

Tenet

I am going to have to watch this again as I have mixed feelings about it. Part of me thinks that Nolan was trying to be too smart and just made a confusing movie, but the other part of me thinks this might be like Donnie Darko where I appreciate it more as I watch it two or three times.

I didn't find Inception or Interstellar too confusing but half an hour in I was like wtf is going on with this. As the movie moved forward things started toi make more sense to a point

6.5/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Fugitive (1993)

Still one of my favourite action thrillers. Harrison Ford’s best film and Tommy Lee Jones is such a great character.

I can't think of the Fugitive and not think of The Simpsons anymore, and by extension, probably the best poker machine related meme I've ever come across - a picture of the guy from More Chilli confronting Milhouse in the dam: "I keep telling you, that was my entire pay-check."
"I. Don't. Care."

Let Him Go. Dont click on the Spoiler if you dont wanna know anything about the film (i wont put in what happens in the end tho)

Really great concept for a movie- slow build, lots of unanswered questions as it went on... but then.. idk, there's a couple of "oMFG why did he do THAT and not do that kind of moments. Kevin Costner plays a retired Sherriff. And for an ex Sherriff he is pretty bloody lousy at handling a gun. Like.. perhaps when you have 5 ppl held at gun point MAKE THEM HUDDLE TOGETHER IN THE ONE SPOT FFS. Dont let one out of the line of your sight der. And then the weird family.. just no background story on them whatsoever- come. on. Seriously could have added in alot more detail there. The final final climax too could have been done alot better. Was kinda corny. Still enjoyed it tho.

7/10

Yesterday... such an interesting premise, the character wakes up one day and no one remembers the Beatles, so he sets about claiming the catalogue as his own. Whether it's the clash of styles between Danny Boyle and Richard Curtis, it never quite takes off, although the music and the leads are enough to keep you interested. Have seen worse but thought it would be better. 6.5

Yesterday... such an interesting premise, the character wakes up one day and no one remembers the Beatles, so he sets about claiming the catalogue as his own. Whether it's the clash of styles between Danny Boyle and Richard Curtis, it never quite takes off, although the music and the leads are enough to keep you interested. Have seen worse but thought it would be better. 6.5

i liked it, as a cover singer the appeal of how important music is to the world really sort of grabbed me I guess even though the film itself wasn't THAT remarkable. I thought Ed Sheeran was actually very good in it.

i liked it, as a cover singer the appeal of how important music is to the world really sort of grabbed me I guess even though the film itself wasn't THAT remarkable. I thought Ed Sheeran was actually very good in it.
Yeah, I loved the premise, particularly the struggle between claiming works that's not your own versus giving the world some of the best pop music ever made. It's just the film never quite took off beyond the premise. It's also never actively bad, though, just pleasant. The high point is the performance of Help! on the rooftop, it really comes across as a cry for help from someone really struggling.

I might be late on this, but:

Knives Out (2019)

A well constructed, entertaining movie with a terrific performance from Daniel Craig and supported by an ensemble cast - Michael Shannon and Chris Evans in particular stand out. I found the uncovering of the murderer was well done (I won't spoil it for others), and it was full of clever references and dialogue, and managed to also subvert many classic murder mystery tropes. The movie cements Daniel Craig's ability to be someone other than James Bond (the other one was Logan Lucky).

9/10

Yeah it never reaches great heights but I always rate movies based on an original premise highly even if the execution is flawed. Certainly an inoffensive way to spend a couple of hours and who can criticise a love letter to The Beatles and music in general?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back