Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lost Highway (1997) - Was in the mood for some more Lynch weirdness after watching the new Twin Peaks and had been meaning to watch this for ages. Bizarre story and very creepy at times, some awesome scenes & some tedious. Overall I liked it quite a bit, not as good as Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive or Twin Peaks but close. 7/10

Get Out: Really enjoyable horror-comedy. Not the ground breaking flick that the reviews are making it out to be, but I dug it for what it was 7.5/10

War Machine

Heard about some disastrous test screenings over a year ago. I wanted it to be at least an interesting "meh" kind of movie, it instead borders more on awful as the whispers suggested. David Michod has proven he's a fantastic filmmaker, The Rover and Animal Kingdom are two of the best offerings Australia has made to cinema over the decade so far. A satire like War Machine is so not in his wheelhouse though. He's all wrong for it. Pitt is all wrong too, I think he thinks he's in a Burn After Reading/Dr. Strangelove-type comedy but this movie plays more like a low-rent version of Syriana crossed with Generation Kill crossed with the sensibility of a Sacha Baron Cohen movie more than it ever is a Joel or Ethan Coen movie.

Netflix is getting booed out of Cannes, and while this wasn't one of the movies the company is showing over there, a movie like this isn't helping their case as a proprietor of quality content.
Netflix isnt getting booed for the film content, Okja and The Meyerowitz Stories are very good films appatently. But its the product that Netflix is thats getting booed by cinema snobs

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Pirates of the Caribbean 5: Who Asked for This?

By far the laziest film in the series and one of the laziest films I've seen this year. Johnny Depp barely wants to be there and there's nary a scene he is holding a drink. Bardem looks like he is having no fun at all, his villain is just a bored plot point. The younger Bloom and Knightley stand-ins are quite inferior replacements. The movie has one big set-piece and it's just a ridiculous, low-stakes affair. There are no sword fights. There is one boat-battle and it's too dark to see anything properly. The movie is just utterly forgettable in every way.
Rush and Bardem are way too good for these films.

Her

Finally got around to watching this - thought it was a really interesting concept that was incredibly well acted. Can be a bit slow at times but would still definitely recommend it.
Good movie, you know what's interesting is that I rewatched Summer Heights High (2007) recently and in it Mr G mentions writing a play where a computer falls in love with its owner. Ahead of his time Chris Lilley!

Get Out

Went and saw it because it's getting a lot of love from critics. It wasn't a bad movie but I couldn't see what all the fuss is about. You could see the twist coming a mile away.
The first half was better than the second.

Completely agree with you, except for the twist part. :$

Trainspotting 2.

Reasonable enough film and good value for nostalagic reasons but seemed like it could've been much more. Loved T1 much more, but I suppose thats to be expected.

Very hot chick at least. I'm a sucker for slightly crooked teeth and straight fringe on legs.

7.5/10

Fate of the Furious - 3/10

How the feck this was the highest grossing movie on opening weekend I'll never know. Utter garbage - terrible acting, rubbish special effects and an absolute vapid plot. It wasn't even funny apart from the token black guy.

If this is the kind of movie the general populace enjoys they should all be gassed.

But did it have fast cars, explosions, jiggling t***ies and passive aggressive put downs between alpha males trying to one-up each other passed off as witty banter?

Recipe for success

Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

Just can't see the appeal if you're over about 15 years old. Never again for that type of film for me.

Felt that way about the first one, but hear over and over how it's the best Marvel film

jennifer-lawrence-yikes-GIF.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aranofsky's The Fountain.

Not as smart as I originally remembered it being but still a very good and creative movie that has a killer soundtrack.

Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz are very good too

Jackman may be mainly known for being Wolverine but he has a been in some bloody good movies where he has more than held his own like this one, Prestige and Prisoners.
Prestige is one of my all time favourites. Outstanding movie.

Trainspotting 2

Loved it. As much as we find the trials and tribulations of youth make for great entertainment; the extra twenty years has given these characters more depth, more context. The good thing is that you come away believing it to be a true depiction of how they'd turn out.
The ugliness of the parts of Edinburgh these folk inhabit is a sight to behold. The cinematic licence and metaphors used by Boyle are still spot on.
And in a way there are times i think the movie takes the piss out of the audience just a little bit, with its take on nostalgia, at times sweet, at times brutal. A scene at a dodgy bar where the song "no more Catholics left" is sung among many a sectarian Protestant favourite takes the idea of not being able to move with times to a very darkly funny extreme.

Funny, dark, nostalgic, defeatist. No matter what they do, friends will always be friends.

Four stars.

Excellent review. I watched this tonight and being the same age and era as the setting, albeit without the smack addiction(though I saw old friends fall down and die from it) I thoroughly enjoyed it. The scene where Renton and Begby 'meet' is brilliant, I also liked the blending of Spud into Irvine Welsh.

As far as sequels go, this is highly worthy. Instead of franchises spewing forth the same old rubbish it was interesting to see a classic with it's characters and where they would be today.

I hope Im alive in 2037 for the finale.

The Fits - It's an energetic film even though there's very little dialogue. Terrifically played by a young girl (aptly named Royalty Hightower), a tomboy who starts participating in all girl dance troupe, when some members start experiencing 'fits'. A little surreal, but deftly portrayed. 8/10

The Witch - The setting, the language (come hither), the foreboding score, the unsettling nature. It's all in there and it's all so good. It's not your jump scare horror film (which I guess some audiences were expecting) and it's so much more better, profound even because of it. 8.5/10

Rush and Bardem are way too good for these films.

Pirates of the Caribbean 5: Who Asked for This?

By far the laziest film in the series and one of the laziest films I've seen this year. Johnny Depp barely wants to be there and there's nary a scene he is holding a drink. Bardem looks like he is having no fun at all, his villain is just a bored plot point. The younger Bloom and Knightley stand-ins are quite inferior replacements. The movie has one big set-piece and it's just a ridiculous, low-stakes affair. There are no sword fights. There is one boat-battle and it's too dark to see anything properly. The movie is just utterly forgettable in every way.

Saw it tonight.

Thought it started well but then it went down hill for the rest of the film hopefully no more.

Just saw it as well, agree that it started ok but it tumbled downhill very fast. Still can't really tell if it's worse than 4 or not.

And it left me with a few questions and comments:

I thought after 10 years Will would be able to give up his spot on the Dutchman and return to Lizzy? So why was he still cursed and randomly sitting on the ocean floor with his ship instead of ferrying souls?

The whole compass betrayal thing was dumb. Seriously? Jack trades it in for a bottle of booze? Not even he should be that dumb. Why not just trade the coin he got in the bank robbery for the booze?

If destroying the Trident ends all curses in the world, why did Davy Jones return in octo form? The barnacles under Will and Lizzy's bed indicate he was not dreaming. On top of that Jones was dead - did some witch bring him back? And even if they did, all curses should be lifted now?

How did Will get his heart back into him?

Why wouldn't Will use the Dutchman to help his son fight the ghost ship?

Why wouldn't any of Jack, Will junior or Barbossa simply shoot Salazar off the anchor? Did they all forget they had guns?

Is Barbossa really dead? It would seem so, but with this franchise you never know.

[/SPOIILER]

Last edited:
Raw (2016) - French drama/horror movie about a strict vegetarian who is forced to eat meat for the first time in a hazing ritual who then develops a taste for meat. Fantastic movie, more of a dark drama rather than horror movie but definitely not for the squeamish. Liked pretty much everything about this movie even though there are some scenes that are tough to watch. 8.5/10
This sounds awesome I will have to check it out.

Baywatch
The missus wanted to see this so I took her for a night out, Fans of either sex will enjoy the hot bodies on offer, although I felt the swearing from both the characters and the soundtrack was a little OTT and not really required as it didn't add to the film.

I wasn't expecting Citizen Kane or The Godfather and I certainly didn't get it; but I did get a quite enjoyable film that didn't take itself too seriously and pretty much just took the piss.
3/5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back