Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loved it. Some classic glimpses of Americana mixed with great imagery of the tough farming life. I couldn't predict where the story was going. Newman was perfect to play the arsehole character Hud and I'm not sure how much acting he needed to do! Melvyn Douglas, Patricia Neal, Brandon De Wilde were also terrific. I read a bit around it and found out that writer Larry McMurtry also co-wrote Brokeback Mountain.
Known as one of the best people in Hollywood throughout his career, so I'd say it's another example of why he's one of the greats!

If you like McMurtry's style, there's a whole world out there (film and novels) for you to explore.

Known as one of the best people in Hollywood throughout his career, so I'd say it's another example of why he's one of the greats!

If you like McMurtry's style, there's a whole world out there (film and novels) for you to explore.

I saw quotes from Newman saying something like he didn't have to try too hard to play Hud.

Any particular recommendations for McMurtry? He seems like an old school writer with a good range like William Goldman.

Beyond Skyline (2017)

Part 2 of the trilogy

Huge continuity fail in the first 5 minutes didnt endear me to this

Skyline followed a group in LA under the alien invasion - Beyond Skyline was around a 2nd group in LA under alien invasion . There is a connection between the 2 movies (apart from alien invasion ) which pays off at the end.

Its actually a better movie - not that it needed a high bar - but apart from 1 or 4 glitches it held together

Watched Joker last night (as you can probably tell, ive got a free month on Amazon Prime so watching their catalogue)

Was pretty good film, very dark and a very disturbed individual. Enjoyed it and not quite what i as expecting (was expecting more killings etc just based on the previews i saw)

Was this supposed to lead into a batman series or just a one off? I presume this guy is supposed to end up being the Joker in Batman storyline (sequel planned or not). The 'Joker' in this seemed to be quite old and by the time Bruce would turn into batman the Joker would be quite an old adversary
Im not sure. It seemed like a re worked script that added the joker as the main character. No way would that version of the joker be of any match to batman. Strange film.

Phoenix was electric though

Im not sure. It seemed like a re worked script that added the joker as the main character. No way would that version of the joker be of any match to batman. Strange film.

Phoenix was electric though

Yeah at no point in any of that is Phoenix supervillain material, he becomes something of a martyr but that's it.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

I didn't get Romper Stomper.

I think it's supposed to show the pointlessness, cruelty, and futility of being a racist a-hole, but all I got from it was 'a woman comes between a couple of men and tears their group apart' was a more prominent theme.

The script was based loosely on the real life exploits of Melbourne Neo Nazi Dane Sweetman.

Working through the Skyline trilogy

Oh boy its gonna be difficult

Skyline (2010)

Continuity person needs to be sacked. Script editor needs to be sacked - writer needs to be - well you get it

Alien invasion movie centred around a small group . Individuals panic in different ways creating tension blah blah

And the ending - vomit

But to be fair there were some genuine shock moments but ruined by bad script

Now for Beyond Skyline
Were re doing the fast and furious series at the moment. Just did 2 fast 2 furious... what a dumpster fire.

Yeah at no point in any of that is Phoenix supervillain material, he becomes something of a martyr but that's it.

It’s defs a stand alone film (DCEU doing r Patz batman and affleck batman and Keaton batman shortly).

I did read a theory that Arthur “inspires” the real Joker with his anarchist, violent ways which made the title of “joker” not “the joker” part of the canon.

Not sure I buy it but didn’t mind the theory.

It’s defs a stand alone film (DCEU doing r Patz batman and affleck batman and Keaton batman shortly).

I did read a theory that Arthur “inspires” the real Joker with his anarchist, violent ways which made the title of “joker” not “the joker” part of the canon.

They ain't doing an Affleck Batman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’ll supposedly be in Flashpoint.

Point was more there is going to be 3 different dudes playing batman in 3 different timelines and 3 different universes.

My broader point is DC is a mess

I like the mess. Marvel are going to introduce messiness with multiverse stuff. DC just don't gaf and let different iterations of things just run riot.

Am on another chat site- there's this crazy movie nut from the States- who can speak fluent Castle.

(He reckons he says randomly to ppl "Dale dug a hole" and they think he's crazy). :roflv1:

What other Aussie films should I recommend to him ya think??? I gave him: The Big Steal (thought if he likes the Castle, he'll like TBS), Two Hands, then on the flip side: Snowtown, The Boys and 2.37.

the Club
Alvin Purple
and one of my favourites, Lets Get Skase

Yeah the inspiration angle works I guess.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Loved it. Some classic glimpses of Americana mixed with great imagery of the tough farming life. I couldn't predict where the story was going. Newman was perfect to play the arsehole character Hud and I'm not sure how much acting he needed to do! Melvyn Douglas, Patricia Neal, Brandon De Wilde were also terrific. I read a bit around it and found out that writer Larry McMurtry also co-wrote Brokeback Mountain.
That's awesome you enjoyed it! Apparently Newman was cold to Neal (who was married to Roald Dahl!) on set but I have no idea what he was like IRL. I'm planning on continuing the Newman film experience with Butch Cassidy this weekend but might not if he was like a Spacey type.

I also had no idea about McMurtry's involvement but it makes sense. Lonesome Dove is incredible as is Brokeback.
It was kinda like American Beauty without the fun bits. Same director (Sam Mendes), and soundtrack (Thomas Newman). DiCaprio and Winslet were amazing then Michael Shannon steals a couple of scenes.

I really wish they had gone to Paris!
Haven't seen American Beauty in awhile and probably won't again tbh. But yeah I remember the gym workout and fast food scenes as being hilarious. I guess they're both cautionary explorations of suburban life creating very dissatisfied people.

Re the spoiler- I've wondered how successful they'd have been in that instance and remain conflicted. A great what if.

I saw quotes from Newman saying something like he didn't have to try too hard to play Hud.

Any particular recommendations for McMurtry? He seems like an old school writer with a good range like William Goldman.
Just some modesty I'd say ;)

In terms of the visual medium, Lonesome Dove is one of my favourite things ever. Some of it has aged (1989) but storywise it is timeless. You won't see better acting than Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones here, with an incredible supporting cast.

Then novel ain't half bad either.

Haven't seen American Beauty in awhile and probably won't again tbh. But yeah I remember the gym workout and fast food scenes as being hilarious. I guess they're both cautionary explorations of suburban life creating very dissatisfied people.

It's one of my favourite movies and I have watched it several times. There are so many great scenes, for example - Lester quitting his job, Carolyn shagging the real estate agent, Lester buying a sports car, a plastic bag blowing around in the wind! Then I've watched it with the director's commentary and there's heaps more to admire. The performances by Spacey, Benning and Cooper are fantastic. It's about the same themes of dissatisfaction with boring suburban life as Revolutionary Road, but there's an underlying message of hope.

By accident, not design. Whereas Marvel is by design.
It's all by design. DC just never gave as many *s about a universe concept. It always had a half assed stink stink about it of just trying to do what Marvel was doing. At the same time it was going on they had multiple TV shows going that were all different.

No Marvel deviated from their concept except the Fox X-Men.

It's all by design. DC just never gave as many fu**s about a universe concept. It always had a half assed stink stink about it of just trying to do what Marvel was doing. At the same time it was going on they had multiple TV shows going that were all different.

No Marvel deviated from their concept except the Fox X-Men.

They had sold X-Men and Spiderman movie rights - or was it Fantastic Four?

They had sold X-Men and Spiderman movie rights - or was it Fantastic Four?

Dunno, I didn't mind the original F4 flicks with Horatio Hornblower, never seen the reboot.

Spider-Man is Sony, they aren't selling, just agreed to a temporary partnership. X-Men was Fox and has now been acquired by Disney.

Watched THE MAURITANIAN on Amazon prime - true story legal drama based on a guy the yanks send to Guantanamo as they thought he was a recruiter for 9/11 and just left him there without charge for years. Excellent movie portrayal of how ****ed up this period of American history was.

8.5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back