Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched an older movie last night that somehow I had completely missed. True Romance. Was talking Tarantino films with a colleague yesterday and he recommended it to me (Tarantino wrote it).

Some great scenes and a bit of humour. Crazy cast. Slater, Arquette, Oldman, Jackson, Walken, Hopper, Pitt, Gandolfini, Rapaport. Score by Hans Zimmer. Really enjoyed it.

The Vault 2021 (Torrent) 7/10

Heist movie breaking into the '' engineering miracle vault''

Nice little cast with The Good Doctor , The Girl with the Dragon tattoo and The Onion Knight all playing major roles

Timed around the 2010 World Cup of Vuvezelas it is suspenseful enough but with fairly predictable spots - but doesnt detract overall

Feels very much like a 2nd movie will be made - and I would watch it

Watched an older movie last night that somehow I had completely missed. True Romance. Was talking Tarantino films with a colleague yesterday and he recommended it to me (Tarantino wrote it).

Some great scenes and a bit of humour. Crazy cast. Slater, Arquette, Oldman, Jackson, Walken, Hopper, Pitt, Gandolfini, Rapaport. Score by Hans Zimmer. Really enjoyed it.
Awesome movie. The confrontation between Hopper and Walken in particular is one of my favourite parts. Gary Oldman is seriously off the chain as Drexel.

Copycat

What a brilliant film, found it by chance on Prime. Sigourney Weaver plays a psychologist who gives lectures on serial killers. After an attack, she becomes agoraphobic and has to help detectives find a copycat killer who is imitating crimes of previous serial killers.

Really good and intense for a lot of the time. 4.5/5.

Becky

Like a more R-rated Home Alone about a girl who has to defend herself against home invaders. Not bad though at times a bit too gory for my liking.

6/10

Last edited:
The Dry

Good movie.

Night in Paradise (Netflix)

South Korean gangster film, Tae-Gu's refuses to join another gang so his sister and niece gets killed. Under the instructions of his boss attempts to get revenge, subsequently flees and takes refuge in Jeju Island with an ex-gangster who now sells firearms.

The film doesn't quite offer anything new to the genre, but it's well made with great cinematography. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Nobody - an enjoyable fun action-thriller. Doesn't do anything particularly original or fresh, and relies on numerous tiresome cliches (does every film now need its action scenes set to an ironic pop song?). But Odenkirk's such a delightful actor that he mostly makes it work well enough.

The Courier - a Cold War spy tale based on true events, this should have been a lot better than it was. Lovely early 1960s period detail and well performed by Benedict Cumberbatch and supporting cast, the movie is about an English businessman recruited by MI6 to deliver messages to and from a Moscow-based Soviet official, who is informing western intelligence of the Soviet deployment of missiles to Cuba. While the best Cold War spy works such as Bridge of Spies or the work of John Le Carré take care to at least give some lip service to the point of view of the communists, here they appear as two-dimensional monsters seemingly mad with the potential for global destruction, and it's a strange choice to make this such a propaganda film 30 years since communism fell (although it seemed to work, with the trio of old chooks behind me muttering about "commie bastards" at various points). At least it was reasonably entertaining until the dull final 20 minutes or so, but only an okay movie where it could have been a lot more.

My First Summer - Aussie film on Stan. I was expecting something a little too heavy, exploring too many themes, as Aussie dramas have a habit of doing. Instead, there was actually a tonne of sweetness and hope. Aesthetically it is very pleasant, and at around 80 minutes long, it's a fairly easy watch.

I was watching a pretty interesting (Dutch?) film called "Girl" about a transgender ballerina before the media player shat itself and shut down.

Will give it another go via the dvd player sometime soon.

From what I saw tho- 7.5/10 :thumbsu:
Finished it.

Gets bumped up to an 8/10. The lead in particular was just amazing, understated performance. Had me in tears during the final scene.

Not a movie (so apologies if not the right thread) but the 3 part documentary is great viewing - Exposed: The Ghost Train Fire (her first 'Exposed' was good as well)

Not knowing anything about the story - just so sad and makes you angry. Its doesnt surprise me at all the way it all went down
Theres a thread about it over on the Crime Board

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a movie (so apologies if not the right thread) but the 3 part documentary is great viewing - Exposed: The Ghost Train Fire (her first 'Exposed' was good as well)

Not knowing anything about the story - just so sad and makes you angry. Its doesnt surprise me at all the way it all went down
What service is this on?

Predestination...Aussie time travel flick starring Ethan Hawke. Low budget but absolutely brilliant, bubbles along with some nice tension and crackling dialogue before it starts dropping all the reveals. 9/10.

Also watched The Mighty Ducks and Independence Day with the kids. They liked 'em both.

Last edited:
Tenet - Finally got around to watching this. I liked it and Nolan makes interesting films for sure, but it felt a bit like it was going to disappear up it's own bum. Nice performances by the leads. The sound seemed a bit off? Anyway, I like time travel themed films and I'd give it a 7/10.

Predestination...Aussie time travel flick starring Ethan Hawke. Low budget but absolutely brilliant, bubbles along with some nice tension and crackling dialogue before it starts dropping all the reveals. 9/10.

Also watched The Mighty Ducks and Independence Day with the kids. They liked 'em both.

Surprised Sarah Snook didn't become more visible after this movie.

The King of Staten Island

This was just one of those random things you click on trawling through the various streaming services. Went into it blindly and didn't know if it was going to be any good or not and it was great. A really easy watch. A couple genuine laugh out loud moments. The main actor did a great job (apparently playing a version of himself... so not that difficult but still). Highly recommend.

8/10

Ford v Ferrari

I'm not into cars or racing but found this genuinely enjoyable. A good insight into what goes on in the racing scene. The small little details they need to make on the cars to have them going as quickly as possible was the coolest thing about this movie. I've never seen a bad acting performance from Bale. Could be the GOAT when his career raps up.

7.5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back