Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Driver

Unfortunately more Scott Pilgrim than Hot Fuzz. More precisely, it's somewhere in between, but the complete unlikeability of the titular Baby character himself, and his story, doesn't really outweigh the action - in fact, it suffocates the it. The character is too smug to root for while still somehow possessing the personality of a turnip. I found no real charm in it, even the car chases are kind of forgettable. I don't know if Edgar Wright is cut out for anything other than comedy films.

Fury Road
Drive
Hot Fuzz

----

lots of other stuff

----

Death Proof

more stuff

----

Baby Driver

Okja - Wow. "Netflix's first blockbuster" is highly entertaining and at times confronting. Original storyline, excellent use of CGI, beautifully shot and topped off with an epic cast (always good when Jake Gyllenhaal gets to play a sociopath). The blending of Korean and big budget American style film making I thought worked really well. Will be checking out more from the director starting with Snowpiercer.

It even made me think twice about eating meat..... until my next meal :drunk:

Last edited:
It Comes at Night

Even fans of movies like The Babadook and The Witch are going to have a hard time with this movie; another horror movie that is light on scares, high on tension, metaphors, and drenched in atmosphere. It will stonewall you with ambiguity at every turn, it is very unsatisfying. I loved it. It closes on a great note and it leaves you with a little something to talk about afterwards.

Sidenote: Joel Edgerton is involved in a lot of interesting indie movies, either as an actor (Midnight Special, Loving, the two Jeff Nichols movies) or as a writer as the case was with The Rover, or a director with The Gift. As far as Aussies go in the movie world, he's right up there for me as one our top talents.

It Comes at Night

Even fans of movies like The Babadook and The Witch are going to have a hard time with this movie; another horror movie that is light on scares, high on tension, metaphors, and drenched in atmosphere. It will stonewall you with ambiguity at every turn, it is very unsatisfying. I loved it. It closes on a great note and it leaves you with a little something to talk about afterwards.

Sidenote: Joel Edgerton is involved in a lot of interesting indie movies, either as an actor (Midnight Special, Loving, the two Jeff Nichols movies) or as a writer as the case was with The Rover, or a director with The Gift. As far as Aussies go in the movie world, he's right up there for me as one our top talents.

I'm confused...

I'm confused...

The movie raises more questions than it ever intends to answer. Withholding might have been a better word. I like those kinds of movies but it can be unsatisfying for some. The audience I saw it with were laughing when the credits rolled (at what I don't know but nobody seemed pleased).

Saw Despicable Me 3 with the kids. Carell said he's not doing any more and yeah I think it's run its course now.

It holds up ok to the others despite the brother being boring. This is because the 80s villain guy is truly awesome and saves the film, especially for the grown up viewers.

Did the same this week, was my four year old lads first movie experience and he did well as expecting to be walking out half way through.

Agree on your thoughts it wasn't terrible but it's clear the ideas have now run out.

Gummo (1997) - Weird, disturbing tale. I liked it even if there wasn't really any plot, just a bunch of realistic scenes of kids from poor families living day-to-day trying to kill time & entertain themselves with little money. Thankfully there's some black comedy to somewhat lighten the tone. Cat lovers should probably avoid this one. 7.5/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baby Driver

Unfortunately more Scott Pilgrim than Hot Fuzz. More precisely, it's somewhere in between, but the complete unlikeability of the titular Baby character himself, and his story, doesn't really outweigh the action - in fact, it suffocates the it. The character is too smug to root for while still somehow possessing the personality of a turnip. I found no real charm in it, even the car chases are kind of forgettable. I don't know if Edgar Wright is cut out for anything other than comedy films.

Fury Road
Drive
Hot Fuzz

----

lots of other stuff

----

Death Proof

more stuff

----

Baby Driver

I found Fury Road very overrated and Death Proof was an unfortunate mess that missed whatever mark it was aiming for more than a John Butcher kick for goal.

So I might like it.

Sent from mTalk

Hotel Coolgardie - disturbing documentary about two Finnish backpackers in Perth who get a job at a pub in Coolgardie, a small town near Kalgoorlie. The harassment they cop from the (overwhelmingly male) clientele is really eye opening, and their employer who sits at the bar getting drunk with the patrons while shouting abuse at them is one of the truest arseholes I've seen in a cinema. A disturbing insight into one of the regions that we're constantly told is "true Australia".

Baby Driver

Fury Road
Drive
Hot Fuzz

----

lots of other stuff

----

Death Proof

more stuff

----

Baby Driver

Interesting I havent seen the film but even in the trailer you could tell the lead was gonna suck.

Hotel Coolgardie - disturbing documentary about two Finnish backpackers in Perth who get a job at a pub in Coolgardie, a small town near Kalgoorlie. The harassment they cop from the (overwhelmingly male) clientele is really eye opening, and their employer who sits at the bar getting drunk with the patrons while shouting abuse at them is one of the truest arseholes I've seen in a cinema. A disturbing insight into one of the regions that we're constantly told is "true Australia".

Interesting. A lot of European backpackers get jobs at some of the rural pubs out our way but they always seem to enjoy it. I've always been a bit curious if it's like that across the board.

Sent from mTalk

I found Fury Road very overrated and Death Proof was an unfortunate mess that missed whatever mark it was aiming for more than a John Butcher kick for goal.

So I might like it.

Sent from mTalk
Glad I'm not the only one that didn't enjoy fury road

So I might like it.

Sent from mTalk

I didn't care for Death Proof either, but just in terms of adrenaline, Death Proof has a lot going for it. The chase at the end of is fantastic. Baby Driver just seems pale in comparison.

I didn't care for Death Proof either, but just in terms of adrenaline, Death Proof has a lot going for it. The chase at the end of is fantastic. Baby Driver just seems pale in comparison.
Also why Hot Fuzz in that list? I wouldn't really call it a car based movie

Sent from mTalk

Also why Hot Fuzz in that list? I wouldn't really call it a car based movie

Sent from mTalk

Because it's an Edgar Wright action movie and still his high-water mark as a filmmaker.

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Enjoyed it very much.

LOVED Michael Keaton. I liked the new guy playing Peter, thought his stuff as the teenage kid was the best of the actors who have played him. I loved everything to do with Spider-Man and Vulture. I didn't care for the high school drama stuff, but I understand why it was in the movie, so I was happy enough to sit through it.

Seriously, Michael Keaton kills it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back