Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

Interesting. A lot of European backpackers get jobs at some of the rural pubs out our way but they always seem to enjoy it. I've always been a bit curious if it's like that across the board.

The two women they replaced as bartenders were shown for the transition, and they seemed to enjoy the experience (though weren't really centred on). But their boss tacitly encouraged the drunk patrons to sleaze onto the women, and abused them for not showing interest in the advances. Also in such a small town where there's nowhere to go and they live above the bar, they were pretty well trapped, and there were a few instances of them going up to their rooms to find patrons in there wanting to join them in bed.

No doubt some would see it as an opportunity to party it up and have fun, but the women in the movie get severely bullied (from basically their first shift) for not enjoying the constant sexual advances, which is basically an employment condition in this place.

The two women they replaced as bartenders were shown for the transition, and they seemed to enjoy the experience (though weren't really centred on). But their boss tacitly encouraged the drunk patrons to sleaze onto the women, and abused them for not showing interest in the advances. Also in such a small town where there's nowhere to go and they live above the bar, they were pretty well trapped, and there were a few instances of them going up to their rooms to find patrons in there wanting to join them in bed.

No doubt some would see it as an opportunity to party it up and have fun, but the women in the movie get severely bullied (from basically their first shift) for not enjoying the constant sexual advances, which is basically an employment condition in this place.

Mining town, may I ask?

It sounds a bit like a doco I watched on skimpi's? I think that's what they're called. Women who dress in lingerie and go work in rural pubs. Obviously a bit different in nature but the same problems of where the lines were drawn regarding patron objectification.

Sent from mTalk

It Comes at Night

Even fans of movies like The Babadook and The Witch are going to have a hard time with this movie; another horror movie that is light on scares, high on tension, metaphors, and drenched in atmosphere. It will stonewall you with ambiguity at every turn, it is very unsatisfying. I loved it. It closes on a great note and it leaves you with a little something to talk about afterwards.

Sidenote: Joel Edgerton is involved in a lot of interesting indie movies, either as an actor (Midnight Special, Loving, the two Jeff Nichols movies) or as a writer as the case was with The Rover, or a director with The Gift. As far as Aussies go in the movie world, he's right up there for me as one our top talents.

A24 seem to hit a home run with every movie they make. Will keep on an eye out for it.

Fargo (1996)

First time viewer. It was good but probably too hyped up in my mind (I watched it because I want to watch the acclaimed TV series set in the same canon). It certainly was funny. Steve Buscemi swearing and being violent I've seen in other stuff so I envy people who watched it when it came out. The accents were painful. I'd listen to Southern US hicks and Bible Belt Chriiiiiiiiiiiistians over these snow*ers any day.

Last edited:
Okja - I didn't love the eccentric characters, which is surprising seeing as who was playing them, but it did nothing for me and I felt like nothing would have been lost had Joon-Ho played the story straighter. Loved everything else though - great performance by the young actress. Had its fair share of moments, but didn't feel as though they were manufactured or manipulated ones. 7.5/10

The Lost City of Z - A stunning film in every way. James Gray is making a strong case for why he's the best director going around. Based on explorer Percy Fawcett and his attempt to find 'Z" a lost city in the Amazon. I'm not sure Charlie Hunnam has ever been or ever will be better in a role (Green Street shoutout tho). I understood his character, his motivations so perfectly. 9/10

Okja - I didn't love the eccentric characters, which is surprising seeing as who was playing them, but it did nothing for me and I felt like nothing would have been lost had Joon-Ho played the story straighter. Loved everything else though - great performance by the young actress. Had its fair share of moments, but didn't feel as though they were manufactured or manipulated ones. 7.5/10

The Lost City of Z - A stunning film in every way. James Gray is making a strong case for why he's the best director going around. Based on explorer Percy Fawcett and his attempt to find 'Z" a lost city in the Amazon. I'm not sure Charlie Hunnam has ever been or ever will be better in a role (Green Street shoutout tho). I understood his character, his motivations so perfectly. 9/10
One of my favourite directors. Always watch his films. Waiting for it to come out on the big screen here has been painful.

Hotel Coolgardie - disturbing documentary about two Finnish backpackers in Perth who get a job at a pub in Coolgardie, a small town near Kalgoorlie. The harassment they cop from the (overwhelmingly male) clientele is really eye opening, and their employer who sits at the bar getting drunk with the patrons while shouting abuse at them is one of the truest arseholes I've seen in a cinema. A disturbing insight into one of the regions that we're constantly told is "true Australia".

I remember reading a few articles about this a while ago, will have to give it a look.

The Lost City of Z - I just found the pacing to be glacial, they somehow took all the ingredients for a fascinating and compelling story (man seeking family redemption, brave explorer in the Amazon, WW1, true story) and just made it dull. I get they were going for a really grounded realistic story but how you take that and make it this slow I don't know. Hunnam, Pattinson et all were great and Charlie in particular did an amazing job of rounding his character, Sienna Miller was stellar as well but this one felt like a 5 hour film. 6/10

The Finest Hours - I think anyone in the Coast Guard in freezing ass places is a stone cold bad ass, Pine and Casey Affleck kill it here add in Ben Foster and Holliday Grainger (who I've not seen before) and this was compelling stuff 8.5/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Fairly fun movie - although fizzled out a bit right at the end after doing so so well in setting it all up. Good soundtrack, and an actually solid musical score which has been one of the biggest weaknesses of most of these Marvel Cinematic Universe films. Tom Holland's a very likable actor and has been since his terrific debut in The Impossible, and Michael Keaton is excellent (although it would have been nice to have his villain in a darker film that could have better explored that character's themes rather than this lighter romp). Spiderman might be overdone lately, but I think he's been fairly well slotted in to this movie series, and the comedy was actually funny.

It Comes at Night.

I like tense movies that rely on foreboding and tension more than they do payoff, as i do movies that don't spell it out all out for you.

This one i didn't like though. I thought it was lazy and a bit crap. Yes, we get it, they are living in a world where you can't trust anyone and you have to look after yourself.

Loose ends i can abide, but this one had too many plot tangent attempts that barely got off the ground, like a stoner with some vague ideas, none all that profound, struggling to make a point.

The Travis character was interesting but the script didn't let him really become all that engaging.

I suppose the film has something to say about trust, outsiders and the doom one faces if one cannot fit those two into the same picture. Maybe a timely political message.

When it's not being vague it's being insufferably obvious. It lazily relies on pointing guns to provide tension. The payoff is hardly there and the build up is forgettable.

I thought it was crap.

1 star.

It Comes at Night.

I like tense movies that rely on foreboding and tension more than they do payoff, as i do movies that don't spell it out all out for you.

This one i didn't like though. I thought it was lazy and a bit crap. Yes, we get it, they are living in a world where you can't trust anyone and you have to look after yourself.

Loose ends i can abide, but this one had too many plot tangent attempts that barely got off the ground, like a stoner with some vague ideas, none all that profound, struggling to make a point.

The Travis character was interesting but the script didn't let him really become all that engaging.

I suppose the film has something to say about trust, outsiders and the doom one faces if one cannot fit those two into the same picture. Maybe a timely political message.

When it's not being vague it's being insufferably obvious. It lazily relies on pointing guns to provide tension. The payoff is hardly there and the build up is forgettable.

I thought it was crap.

1 star.
I'm on the other side. I thoroughly enjoyed this and felt it was quite tense throughout.

Una

Pretty disturbing subject, but really well done. Rooney Mara was superb and Ben Mendelsohn was completely convincing as the predatory paedophile. So convincing that I had to stop myself at times from wondering if what he'd done was really that bad before being snapped back to remembering she was a child.

Think some people might find it a bit slow, but I was enthralled to the end.

8/10

Last edited:
Una

Pretty disturbing subject, but really well done. Rooney Mara was superb and Ben Mendelsohn was completely convincing as the predatory paedophile. So convincing that I had to stop myself at times from wondering if what he'd done was really that bad before being snapped back to remembering she was a child.

Think some people might find it a bit slow, but I was enthralled to the end.

8/10
I saw Una tonight. Stunning film Mendelssohn and Mara absolutely stunning performances.

Will be hard to top as best movie of the year.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back