Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder Woman

Glad I finally got around to seeing this. Shits all over the rest of DCs efforts so far, not like that's a high bar to make it over though.

Gal Gadot is great playing the naive, too cute for her own good warrior princess. Pine steals the show with great comedic timing and the pair have really good chemistry.

The fight scenes are all very well choreographed and damn do I love that Wonder Woman theme.

My only complaint is that the last quarter of the movie just goes a bit too far over the top (as most superhero movies admittedly do anyway). The first 3/4 are easily the best superhero movie I've seen for years though.

8/10

Demolition

Jake Gyllenhaal has his wife die tragically and then goes about rebuilding his life. Not normally my type of movie, but it was pretty enjoyable.
7/10

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Would you recommend it for someone like me who has little interest in car movies?? I liked Gone in 60 seconds, but **** me if I were to ever see another Fast and the Furious again, would rather stab my eyes out.

Yep, I recommend it, I ******* loved it, and that's coming from someone who HATES the Fast and Furious franchise.

Lined up to see Dunkirk last night but couldn't get a bunch of seats together. Go figure. So ended up seeing Baby Driver.

Probably one of the more polarising films I can remember reading about, didn't seem to be much of a middle-ground but I think I found it. Car scenes were top-notch, Foxx and Hamm were excellent. But I'm not buying into Elsort. And I mean who the * was Lily James' Debora supposed to be?

Still, probably something I'll watch if I ever cross paths with it again. 7/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lily James' character was so bland, she had zero inner-life or personality beyond existing to be this dud's dream girl. I almost thought she was imaginary.

Forbidden Planet (1956)

Wikipedia says this was the first movie set entirely on another planet. Technically that's false as parts of it are on a spaceship. In the 23rd century (humans landed on the Moon in the 1990s! Woah!), a spaceship is arriving at a far away planet to find out what happened to an expedition sent there 20 years before. They land to find two survivors: a Mr Scientist that looks like a theatre actor and his hot young daughter who is very naive having grown up with just dad and a robot he built.

I'm about two thirds through Star Trek: The Original Series so I couldn't help but compare this to that. This is better. Where Star Trek has humour, this is more of a straight drama. Being of a time where movies and TV were distinct and separate formats this has a much better budget than any Star Trek episode too. The sets are elaborate and the effects respectable for a 61-year-old movie. There are some moments of startling sexism (it was the '50s) and the subplot of the crewmen, including the captain, trying to nail the daughter is surprisingly interesting. The bigger plot is trying to figure out why dad is a ******* weirdo, what happened to the long gone civilisation, and why our characters can't leave the planet.

Worth watching once unless you hate sci-fi. Oh and Leslie Neilson is in it and he looks unrecognisable from the famous old man he'd become. I didn't know which character he was until the end credits.

John Wick 2. Loved the first one and this one was also good. If u love violence and guns ! Taking on the establish John must summon all of his powers to stay alive.
As always in such movies it's amazing how trained killers can't hit the side of a barn.

Common is in it. I can't take him seriously.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lifeforce (1985) - Entertaining sci-fi/horror craziness. Totally bonkers story about space vampires coming to London and causing havoc. The plot takes several strange turns but there's lots to enjoy with this movie. Loved the special effects. It's one of those movies you can't believe that it ever got made, a big-budgeted schlock extravaganza that hardly makes any sense. Just about the ultimate B-movie. 8.5/10

I thought Debra (baby driver) was pretty obviously an homage to the old school damsels in distress, worked for the movie, honestly none of the characters really had depth, the movie was a soundtrack with heists and some stuff about Ansels past (still flimsy) but it all worked for me

Get Out - been haaaaaaanging to see this; didn't disappoint. Clever on the social commentary (without being ott) and very restrained. 8/10

Alien: Covenant - I think the new aliens franchise is always gonna be compared to the old and it just can't stack up (much like how any shark movie can't stack up to jaws) but this holds its own. Gruesome and scary when it needs to be and a clever intro into the alien films (as a prequel) I liked it. 7.5/10

Dunkirk - loved the way Nolan interweaved the different stories into one. 9/10

There were certainly very little parts played by the French.

The Exception - A German soldier played by Jai Courtney is transferred to oversee an exiled German monarch who lives in a secluded mansion. Amongst the Kaiser there lives a British spy as a maid played by Lily James . Jai & Lily's characters spark a romance, thus conflict unfolds as the assassination plot unfolds. 6.5/10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back