Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Cheap Thrills

2013 movie where two guys are paid to complete certain dares. As the movie goes on the stakes get higher as the CD as the dares get bigger and grimmer. Excellent, if a bit hard to watch at times.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Prince's best off album "The Hits" from 1993 was 3 cds worth of music numbering 36 individual songs for which Prince was the sole artist/composer/producer credited on 32 of the songs (four other people received writing and production credits). Prince used a number of different engineers.

By contrast, here's the production list for ASIB's musical soundtrack:
  • Paul Blair – composer, producer
  • Bobby Campbell – executive producer, producer
  • Dave Cobb – producer
  • Lisa Einhorn-Gilder – production coordination
  • Bradley Cooper – composer, primary artist, producer
  • Bill Gerber – executive producer
  • Ashley Gutierrez – executive assistant
  • Natalie Hemby – composer
  • Darren Higman – executive producer
  • Jason Isbell – composer
  • Gena Johnson – engineer
  • Julianne Jordan – music supervisor
  • Paul Kennerley – composer
  • Lady Gaga – additional production, composer, horn arrangements, piano, producer, string arrangements, vocal producer
  • Brian Lambert – executive in charge of music
  • Hillary Lindsey – composer
  • Louiguy – composer
  • Lori McKenna – composer
  • Randy Merrill – mastering
  • Joe Nino-Hernes – lacquer cutting
  • Kari Miazek – coordination
  • Nick Monson – additional production, composer, guitar, keyboards, piano, producer, programming, string arrangements, vocals (background)
  • Amanda Narkis – executive in charge of music
  • Lukas Nelson – composer, guitar, guitar (acoustic), guitar (electric), producer
  • Brian Newman – producer, trumpet
  • Mark Nilan Jr. – additional production, composer, horn arrangements, keyboards, piano, producer, programming, string arrangements
  • Julia Michaels – composer, music supervisor
  • Jon Peters – executive producer
  • Édith Piaf – composer
  • Aaron Raitiere – composer
  • Benjamin Rice – engineer, producer, vocal producer, vocals (background)
  • Mark Ronson – composer
  • Anthony Rossomando – composer
  • Anthony Seyler – executive producer
  • Ivy Skoff – coordination, string coordinator
  • Eddie Spear – engineer
  • JoAnn Tominaga – coordination, string contractor
  • Justin Tranter – composer
  • Diane Warren – composer
  • Andrew Wyatt – composer
  • Brian Allen – bass
  • Charlie Bisharat – violin
  • Alberto Bof – keyboards
  • Jacob Braun – celli
  • Brockett Parsons – keyboards
  • Jon Drummond – bass
  • Andrew Duckles – viola
  • Alma Fernandez – viola
  • Daniel Foose – bass
  • Paul Francis – drums
  • Grant Garibyan – violin
  • Gary Grant – trumpet
  • Lila Hood – violin
  • Benjamin Jacobson – violin
  • Chris Johnson – drums
  • Steve Kortyka – saxophone
  • Marisa Kuney – violin
  • Songa Lee – violin
  • Melvin "Maestro" Lightford – keyboards
  • Shigeru Logan – viola
  • Anthony LoGerfo – drums
  • David Low – celli
  • Andy Martin – trombone
  • Corey McCormick – bass
  • Serena McKinney – violin
  • Tato Melgar – percussion
  • Pablo Mendez – violin
  • Leah Metzler – celli
  • Joel Peskin – sax (baritone)
  • Chris Powell – drums
  • Leroy Powell – pedal steel guitar
  • Kate Reddish – viola
  • Tom Scott – contractor, sax (tenor)
  • Jesse Siebenberg – lap steel guitar
  • Alex Smith – piano
  • Tim Stewart – guitar
  • Ricky Tillo – guitar
  • Adrienne Woods – celli
  • Dae Bennett – engineer
If that's not over-cooked then I don't know what is.

Edit: I'd just like to add outside of Prince & The Revolution/ Prince & The NPG tracks on the best of, he played most of the ******* instruments as well.

Genius.

1- that’s a very very long winded way of not answering the question at all (which was is it all the music of the movie or just some that you think was over produced)
2- comparing the music of Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga on a soundtrack for a movie to one of the greatest musical artists of all time would seem a pretty pointless exercise. That’s chalk and oranges

I’m assuming you’re a serious musical afficiando which is great, but using that as a basis as to whether you enjoyed a movie about singer/songwriters seems like you had your mind made up before you bought the ticket.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
1- that’s a very very long winded way of not answering the question at all (which was is it all the music of the movie or just some that you think was over produced)
I'm at work and I missed the nuance in your question, but to say I didn't answer it at all is bullshit- you clearly don't end up with 10,000 credits on a dozen songs and not have the majority of them "overproduced". If there were any songs that weren't over-produced, I'll happily concede that I missed them while playing Farmville on my phone. Sorry. The ones I do recall- including the lead single- are completely overcooked.

2- comparing the music of Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga on a soundtrack for a movie to one of the greatest musical artists of all time would seem a pretty pointless exercise. That’s chalk and oranges
I agree- the point I was addressing was only the "over-production" of the music.

I’m assuming you’re a serious musical afficiando which is great, but using that as a basis as to whether you enjoyed a movie about singer/songwriters seems like you had your mind made up before you bought the ticket.
Another psychology graduate! Excellent work.

How about play the ball not the man? I stated I can't separate the music from a musical. And a musical with s**t music is (IMO) a s**t film.

Further to this I found the story predictable, melodramatic, and corny.

Anyway enough on this film now. I'd rather talk about decent films that I actually bothered paying attention to, like The Predator or Ralph Breaks The Internet :D

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm at work and I missed the nuance in your question, but to say I didn't answer it at all is bullshit- you clearly don't end up with 10,000 credits on a dozen songs and not have the majority of them "overproduced". If there were any songs that weren't over-produced, I'll happily concede that I missed them while playing Farmville on my phone. Sorry. The ones I do recall- including the lead single- are completely overcooked.

I agree- the point I was addressing was only the "over-production" of the music.

Another psychology graduate! Excellent work.

How about play the ball not the man? I stated I can't separate the music from a musical. And a musical with s**t music is (IMO) a s**t film.

Further to this I found the story predictable, melodramatic, and corny.

Anyway enough on this film now. I'd rather talk about decent films that I actually bothered paying attention to, like The Predator or Ralph Breaks The Internet :D

Shits on A Star Is Born, but likes The Predator..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all due respect if you'd rather a Gaga album over Prince then I don't think you're qualified for a discussion on music.
It’s not a Gaga album tho, this is why I think you’re biased and therefore incapable on a balanced discussion here. :)
FWIW I'd happily take 1 guy and 2 turntables over this sentimental chick-flick tripe. Did Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Gillian Welch, Kris Kristofferson or Elvis Presley etc. need 10,000 people to write a three chord country song?
You seem to be forgetting they are single artists doing there own thing the way they want with little or no outside input.

A movie is a much bigger undertaking than a record and requires much more work.
You’re also forgetting that besides just a few 3 chord songs a film also requires a score.

It could just be a simple case of feelings, emotions & sentimentality being your problem here tho as you don’t at all seem in touch with those and makes me question first; if you’ve even seen the movie at all, & second; why would you even go to it if you hate this kind of premise and one of the main stars? :think:

Truthfully I think it’s just straight bias that is forming your opinion.
(btw When Doves Cry is killer, but not in the Top 50 Prince songs IMO (will save that for another day though)).
And this, how many years did it take for Prince to assemble his greatest hits album and how many did it take for the ASIB soundtrack?

Last edited:
I saw Aquaman last week. Thought it was one of the best superhero movies to date, purely because it achieved what so many superhero movies fail to: to be a singular adventure story that can stand on its own. It reminded me a lot of the Brendan Fraser Mummy movies or those bad Sam Worthington Clash of the Titans movies. A movie that really knows how to lean into how badass its lead character is too.

Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
I'll take a crappy d-grade sci-fi action flick over some contrived, overcooked love story with a rubbish soundtrack and pig-ugly lead any day.

You’re also forgetting that besides just a few 3 chord songs a film also requires a score.
There's one composer listed on the Star Wars OST, two on Dark Night... and fourteen and a half million on ASIB.

I'll stand by my opinion it's over-produced and the credits I copy-pasted in my previous post suggest the same.

That Cooper/Gaga song is on the radio now. Beautiful. I can’t really hear any overcooking tho.
Good times. :thumbsu:

My only fear is that typical commercial overplay may ruin it for me. :(

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
That Cooper/Gaga song is on the radio now. Beautiful. I can’t really hear any overcooking tho.
Good times. :thumbsu:

My only fear is that typical commercial overplay may ruin it for me. :(
You mustn't have the radio on very much; has been played like crazy since the film came out in November or whatever.

The other thing is I cant watch Steve Carrell as a serious actor. I dont think he has much range especially when you put him next to someone of Bales calibre.

Generally would agree with you (haven't seen this yet) but he was pretty good in Foxcatcher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mustn't have the radio on very much; has been played like crazy since the film came out in November or whatever.
Nah not often but they kinda favour their own music here anyway.
I was never a fan of ABBA or Roxette but I pretty much know all the tunes by heart now.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Instant family - had it's funny moments and enjoyable watch. Was exactly what I expected (wasn't going to be great but watchable) and exactly what it was. Walhberg and Byrne are good together and while storyline was predictable was good enough as a chick flick for us blokes to watch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Generally would agree with you (haven't seen this yet) but he was pretty good in Foxcatcher.

This and Little Miss Sunshine, I also think his performance in Crazy, Stupid, Love is pretty great (it’s a rom com but he’s doing a lot more than just gags).

Having said that he has a head for comedy, he just “looks” funny.

I'll take a crappy d-grade sci-fi action flick over some contrived, overcooked love story with a rubbish soundtrack and pig-ugly lead any day.
You don’t think the predator is pig ugly & this sequel is just a forced cash grab??
There's one composer listed on the Star Wars OST, two on Dark Night
How many musicians in those orchestras tho? You listed guitarists, drummers etc but an entire orchestra is huge.
I'll stand by my opinion it's over-produced and the credits I copy-pasted in my previous post suggest the same.
Well I’d expect a movie based around music as it’s base plot to feature a lot more musicians in its crew.

To say that is too heavy handed is as ignorant as saying Star Wars is over cooked because it used waaaay more FX personnel than than a movie like Avatar for instance that just required some talented CGI animators on a laptop. :drunk:

Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
You don’t think the predator is pig ugly & this sequel is just a forced cash grab??
Side by side I'm not sure I could tell Gaga and the Predator apart, could you?

How many musicians in those orchestras tho? You listed guitarists, drummers etc but an entire orchestra is huge.
I'm not sure what the point of this question is. The number of musicians isn't a factor, what is (IMO) is the numerous recording assistants, composers, engineers and producers. But I'm happy for you to disagree, given you've already demonstrated questionable taste and don't appear to have a concept of what "production" is, let along "over-production".

To say that is too heavy handed is as ignorant as saying Star Wars is over cooked because it used waaaay more FX personnel than than a movie like Avatar for instance that just required some talented CGI animators on a laptop. :drunk:
Mate those Star Wars prequels are definitely overcooked. They're a bloody CGI nightmare, it's like watching a cartoon, jesus!

But I'm happy for you to disagree, given you've already demonstrated questionable taste and don't appear to have a concept of what "production" is, let along "over-production".
68F1898F-66AD-4F46-A68A-6A077F2DBCB2.gif

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Cold War - 8.5/10

The pacing was a bit jarring, but I felt that was intentional to the story. Quite a devastating movie with I think my favourite cinematography of 2018. Images are still stuck in my head even after a nights sleep.

Only shoplifter's to view and 2018 will be officially complete I reckon.

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Nah not often but they kinda favour their own music here anyway.
I was never a fan of ABBA or Roxette but I pretty much know all the tunes by heart now.
Didn't notice your location. I don't know how I'd survive if I couldn't hear Aussie Crawl and INXS on the radio every 2 minutes.

Wildlife - Interesting film, not too sure what to make of it right now. A lot of it made me very uncomfortable to watch, mostly attributable to young Aussie actor Ed Oxenbould, who looks a talent but has a real awkward air about him right now. Mulligan is generally terrific (in this and everything else) but I didn't fully buy in to all her character's behaviour, which may have been the point. Not sure the 60's setting really added anything to the story but I'm always happy for a film to take me back to a different time. Rating? No idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back