Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
This and Little Miss Sunshine, I also think his performance in Crazy, Stupid, Love is pretty great (it’s a rom com but he’s doing a lot more than just gags).

Having said that he has a head for comedy, he just “looks” funny.

I like him in Seeking a Friend for the End of the World too

Sent from mTalk

This and Little Miss Sunshine, I also think his performance in Crazy, Stupid, Love is pretty great (it’s a rom com but he’s doing a lot more than just gags).

Having said that he has a head for comedy, he just “looks” funny.
I thought he was good in The Big Short.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Arrival; now this is a quality sci-fi film, high concept premise, great acting, nice twists and turns and plenty of tension,
That Villeneuve guy who directed it is brilliant- Prisoners, Sicaro, Blade Runner, all top notch.

Looking forward to his Dune reboot.

Oh thank christ you've stopped asking questions you don't even understand.

Enjoy listening to your Lady Gaga CDs friend!
D5D9F27E-BD13-4057-B338-B8CF4160ABD3.jpeg

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Game Night

Fun thriller/comedy movie with some interesting twists.
Enjoyed this one a lot.

8/10

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
I watched my DVD of the 1974 disaster movie 'The Towering Inferno' last night - still a great film with a great cast that stands up well 44 years after it was made.

Interesting fact - filming on The Towering Inferno finished on September 11 1974.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Aren't you the one who said you like pop music?
I'm not the one who said I'd take the ASIB soundtrack over Prince, that was definitely someone else!

As far as classic stuff goes I like heaps of it, not a fan of most of the stuff on the charts these days. I'm a bit old for that emo post malone s**t :)

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
Few quick ones:

You Were Never Really Here

Felt like this one, which stars Phoenix as a hired gun struggling with PTSD tracking down the abducted young daughter of a politician, had brilliance sitting under the surface but couldn't quite reach it, instead being happy to make the viewer search for it. I don't know if adding an extra 15 minutes to explore some of the issues being hinted at would have helped or not, but something was missing for me.

The Favourite

Very, very good. Takes its director's quirks in both story and look and syncs them up perfectly with 18th century Royal life. Coleman was great playing a mess of a Queen; Weisz was too as the colder, more calculating side kick; and even Nicolas Hoult popped up a few times with a witty barb or two. Then Emma Stone's character just kept growing and growing as the film went on.

Also, any film that drops multiple 'campaigners' without it ever seeming superfluous deserves great respect.

Annihilation

I don't have much to say about this one really. Just a good, well-made sci-fi movie that had enough twists and turns to keep you guessing, but not so many as to turn the film into a genre mess.

Phantom Thread (rewatch)

Really enjoyed it on first viewing. May have liked it even more on second, I think. I'm not one of those DDL fanbois - quite the opposite actually - but he played his role, of a posh, finicky fashion designer (who's also more than just a bit of a twat) just about perfectly. All round it's a beautiful, well acted film, filled with selfish and at times horrible characters.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Zodiac - Fincher puts together a very compelling wach with some excellent scenes. Feels like it needs a rewatch however as there is a lot going on (due to the fact the film is trying to be accurate as possible to the murders which took place and have, to this day, not been difinitively solved).

Hell or High Water - quite an enjoyable flick, in effect a modern day western with great chemistry between two sets of leads (the brothers played by Chris Pine and Ben Foster) and the rangers (Jeff Bridges and his partner). One I could rewatch happily. 7.5/10

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
Prince's best off album "The Hits" from 1993 was 3 cds worth of music numbering 36 individual songs for which Prince was the sole artist/composer/producer credited on 32 of the songs (four other people received writing and production credits). Prince used a number of different engineers.

By contrast, here's the production list for ASIB's musical soundtrack:
  • Paul Blair – composer, producer
  • Bobby Campbell – executive producer, producer
  • Dave Cobb – producer
  • Lisa Einhorn-Gilder – production coordination
  • Bradley Cooper – composer, primary artist, producer
  • Bill Gerber – executive producer
  • Ashley Gutierrez – executive assistant
  • Natalie Hemby – composer
  • Darren Higman – executive producer
  • Jason Isbell – composer
  • Gena Johnson – engineer
  • Julianne Jordan – music supervisor
  • Paul Kennerley – composer
  • Lady Gaga – additional production, composer, horn arrangements, piano, producer, string arrangements, vocal producer
  • Brian Lambert – executive in charge of music
  • Hillary Lindsey – composer
  • Louiguy – composer
  • Lori McKenna – composer
  • Randy Merrill – mastering
  • Joe Nino-Hernes – lacquer cutting
  • Kari Miazek – coordination
  • Nick Monson – additional production, composer, guitar, keyboards, piano, producer, programming, string arrangements, vocals (background)
  • Amanda Narkis – executive in charge of music
  • Lukas Nelson – composer, guitar, guitar (acoustic), guitar (electric), producer
  • Brian Newman – producer, trumpet
  • Mark Nilan Jr. – additional production, composer, horn arrangements, keyboards, piano, producer, programming, string arrangements
  • Julia Michaels – composer, music supervisor
  • Jon Peters – executive producer
  • Édith Piaf – composer
  • Aaron Raitiere – composer
  • Benjamin Rice – engineer, producer, vocal producer, vocals (background)
  • Mark Ronson – composer
  • Anthony Rossomando – composer
  • Anthony Seyler – executive producer
  • Ivy Skoff – coordination, string coordinator
  • Eddie Spear – engineer
  • JoAnn Tominaga – coordination, string contractor
  • Justin Tranter – composer
  • Diane Warren – composer
  • Andrew Wyatt – composer
  • Brian Allen – bass
  • Charlie Bisharat – violin
  • Alberto Bof – keyboards
  • Jacob Braun – celli
  • Brockett Parsons – keyboards
  • Jon Drummond – bass
  • Andrew Duckles – viola
  • Alma Fernandez – viola
  • Daniel Foose – bass
  • Paul Francis – drums
  • Grant Garibyan – violin
  • Gary Grant – trumpet
  • Lila Hood – violin
  • Benjamin Jacobson – violin
  • Chris Johnson – drums
  • Steve Kortyka – saxophone
  • Marisa Kuney – violin
  • Songa Lee – violin
  • Melvin "Maestro" Lightford – keyboards
  • Shigeru Logan – viola
  • Anthony LoGerfo – drums
  • David Low – celli
  • Andy Martin – trombone
  • Corey McCormick – bass
  • Serena McKinney – violin
  • Tato Melgar – percussion
  • Pablo Mendez – violin
  • Leah Metzler – celli
  • Joel Peskin – sax (baritone)
  • Chris Powell – drums
  • Leroy Powell – pedal steel guitar
  • Kate Reddish – viola
  • Tom Scott – contractor, sax (tenor)
  • Jesse Siebenberg – lap steel guitar
  • Alex Smith – piano
  • Tim Stewart – guitar
  • Ricky Tillo – guitar
  • Adrienne Woods – celli
  • Dae Bennett – engineer
If that's not over-cooked then I don't know what is.

Edit: I'd just like to add outside of Prince & The Revolution/ Prince & The NPG tracks on the best of, he played most of the ******* instruments as well.

Genius.

Some incredible talent on that list. Haven’t seen the film but heard the music and thought it was beautiful. Even without the context of the film.

I’m a huge Kris Kristofferson fan and I would rate the music from this latest version far better than KK’s 1970s effort.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Favourite

And favourite for the Oscars, I gather. I liked it a lot. Three leads all very good, but loses points for a very intrusive soundtrack (I realise that is deliberate, but it still got on my ****).

8/10

Loved The Favourite. Incredible performances from all 3 leads. Already knew how good Olivia Coleman and Rachel Wiesz were. Emma Stone was a revelation (and I already rated her). I loved the soundtrack, the cinematography, the costumes, the dialogue, the dance scene...

Would be a worthy Oscar winner.

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Don't worry, he won't get far on foot.
Brilliant. Arguably Phoenix's best performance. Jonah Hill is also pretty good.
I've seen a few movies about recovering alcoholics, 12 step program, etc. This is probably the best I've seen.
Surprised I haven't seen more chatter about it, talked about for awards, etc. How Phoenix hasn't been mentioned or nominated for his performance is baffling.

Terrific film. It had to be made in a very unsentimental fashion to honour John Callahan and they certainly didn’t sugar coat any aspects of his humour or behaviour. Joaquin Phoenix was great as usual but I thought Jonah Hill stole the show. He was incredible.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Have been going through the classics to end the year (Die Hard, The Bourne films, Lethal Weapon series etc).

Currently marathoning the Rambo franchise.......

Just posting that this moment never gets old for me

giphy.gif

Found it amazing when I was little, and still get a kick out of it today :D

Do you like Die Hard With A Vegence?

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Zodiac - Fincher puts together a very compelling wach with some excellent scenes. Feels like it needs a rewatch however as there is a lot going on (due to the fact the film is trying to be accurate as possible to the murders which took place and have, to this day, not been difinitively solved).
Really loved this as well. Although they haven't been solved, Fincher doesn't hide who he believes is the real Zodiac. And it's a pretty common belief, I think.

Do you like Die Hard With A Vegence?

Yes!!

My history with Die Hard. Grew up liking the first 2.... hadn't seen them in years, watched WAV by accident one day and instantly loved it to the point where it was my favourite in the series.

It wasn’t until I got the 2 disc special editions of the first 2 that I fell in love with the original again.

I've seen (and own 4 and 5) still pretend they don't exist.

TMI.... I have multiple copies of 1-3 on dvd as well as blu-ray. Individual copies of DH 1 & 2, a single disc and 2 disc edition of WAV. I have 2 different box sets of the "complete collection".

I also own the first 3 movies on bluray as well as the complete box set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back